Sarah Moulds

Sandstone1

Visit site
If, in moments of stress your first reaction is to kick and punch a animal then you need to have a very close look at yourself. I am often stressed but I would never take it out on a animal. The court result was wrong and even in horse sports such as show jumping and racing there are consequences for over use of the whip in temper or frustration. The woman is simply making things worse for herself. If shes looking for public sympathy I feel she is very unlikely to get it.
Edited to add. If a jockey had punched a horse in the face or someone in a showjumping comp fell off and kicked a horse in the guts to punish it would that be right?
The fact that this was filmed by sabs really has nothing to do with it. She would still have done it had it not been filmed. I know worse goes on at shows etc but that does not make it right. If I saw something like that happen at a show I would be reporting it. Its about time a bit more respect was shown to animals.
This woman is now paying the "Poor me" card. Shes done it to herself and if she had any sense at all she would be keeping her head down.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
It's parent power that will now decide whether she is able to remain in teaching. There is no legal reason why she should not be able to teach, but if her presence in a school causes a ruckus she may well prove to be a liability.

As I posted earlier on, I would not permit her to teach a child of mine. If the school said tough, she's your child's class teacher, like it or lump it, I would remove my child from that school. Her behaviour post verdict reinforces my poor view of her, she seems to be thoroughly unpleasant.
^^^ She'd probably be ideal in some vile Ofsted-failed run-down inner-city Sec-Mod with a load of violence-driven Deviant year 10 LS's (any teacher/CA will know what a "LS" is) ......... thinking about it they'd probably deserve each other :O

SO1

Visit site
I have been around horses over 40 years and I have never seen anyone punch a horse in the head and kick it in anger the way Sarah did. I am sure it does happen with dodgy dealers and at shows etc but it doesn't mean that what she did was ok because others do it and don't get filmed. I agree because she was associated with a hunt it was more high profile and there is more chance of it being filmed if hunting than if doing other activities.

It is very hard for any prosecution for animal cruelty to be successful. There is a lot money and influence in equine sports but ultimately it comes down to the jury who I expect have no knowledge of horses and being told this was a child's pony that needed to be punished to avoid a dangerous situation may have felt her actions were justified to keep a child safe. Children's safety coming before animal welfare in most people's view. It's a clever defence as being a teacher if her actions can be justified by keeping children safe then it helps with getting her teaching career back on track.

If I am honest I feel that the social media witch hunt surrounding the case was out of order, some taking it too far with the comments.

I do feel if she had been.. Say at a competition or something and done the same thing, sure there would be some outcry but it does seem that because it was at a hunt it had been used to make people who hunt look like horrible people and has had a hand in how some view the incident.

It to me seemed a moment of madness or frustration.. Coulda happened to anyone was she wrong to kick and hit the horse.. Sure.. Does she deserve the crap she is getting on social media for it? No.. Does she deserve not only to lose her job but to lose the chance to again work in her profession? No, does she deserve to be harassed by keyboard warriors the rest of her days? No... Some are acting like she murdered children.

Also why was she even being filmed? Imagine if she hadn't have done what she did.. Someone would have still been filming her.. I do have my theory but will keep quiet about it

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
I was on a hunt ride once and someone punched his mare in the face because he was annoyed with her (she'd refused a jump). Several other riders spoke up and said exactly what they thought of this action...suffice to say that he was remembered for this very poor behaviour for years afterwards.
Some sabs believe that this sort of behaviour is very common amongst people who associate with hunts, which is why they often film at the start and end. I've been there when this has happened.
In the Sarah Moulds case, they got the footage - and although she has been found not guilty, it will have had the desired impact to some extent by promoting the view that hunts = cruelty.
AFAIC it's another example of an idiotic minority giving a much wider group a very bad name. And while many may reasonably argue that it's nowhere near as bad as the illegal hunting videos that were released not long ago, it's part of the same story.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
DD B. re the filming , nowadays one should expect to be filmed anywhere. Majority of people have camera phones now and I have seen many instances when peoples first reaction is to get their phone out and film. A couple of recent times I’ve seen it happen is when police were responding to a business being done over in broad daylight and then one of them managed to hit a parked car and two druggies having a screaming match while doing some weird interpretive dance thing. I’ve also seen very boring everyday things being filmed. Don’t do anything you wouldn’t want posted on the interwebs would be my advice. Bit late for your friend DD B. but maybe going forward she may think about treating her animals with respect and consideration just on the off chance she is being filmed. She may find she gets more out of them treating them like that than beating seven types of $hyte out of them. Who’d have ‘thunk’ !

Sandstone1

Visit site
If I am honest I feel that the social media witch hunt surrounding the case was out of order, some taking it too far with the comments.

I do feel if she had been.. Say at a competition or something and done the same thing, sure there would be some outcry but it does seem that because it was at a hunt it had been used to make people who hunt look like horrible people and has had a hand in how some view the incident.

It to me seemed a moment of madness or frustration.. Coulda happened to anyone was she wrong to kick and hit the horse.. Sure.. Does she deserve the crap she is getting on social media for it? No.. Does she deserve not only to lose her job but to lose the chance to again work in her profession? No, does she deserve to be harassed by keyboard warriors the rest of her days? No... Some are acting like she murdered children.
Well, she has done a great job of making hunting look bad. If she is indeed your friend I would be advising her to keep quiet and if asked admit she was wrong to do what she did. In this day and age you can be filmed doing pretty much anything in public. That she thought it was ok to kick and punch a pony in public says a lot about her. None of it good regardless of the verdict.

equinerebel

Visit site

Also why was she even being filmed? Imagine if she hadn't have done what she did.. Someone would have still been filming her.. I do have my theory but will keep quiet about it
Lol in one sentence you say it "coulda happened to anyone" and in the next that she didn't deserve to lose her job. My dude, she works with children. If punching and kicking a living creature is so normal to you and her that you think anyone else would have done the same, neither of you belong anywhere near children or animals. Give your head a wobble.

What was "out of order" was her violence towards an animal.

Visit site
D D Braithwaite, your 'friend' needs to count her lucky stars that she had the financial back up to hire lawyers with enough chutzpah to get her off with an apparently cut and dried case of animal abuse, has already found herself new employment and is now openly courting the media herself.

I think some humility and even a smidgen of regret for her shocking and vile show of temper and animal abuse might have been wise. Her only regret she has publicly said is that she got caught in the act and it caused HER inconvenience and distress!

This dreadful woman needs to back away from the nauseating and sniveling victim act. Keep her mouth shut and her head down. She is her own worst enemy. And she wouldn't be getting within an inch of teaching a child of mine that's for sure.

Welcome to the forum.
Oh she's not my friend.. Don't even know her. However if anything I'm shocked at some people's reactions to it, was she wrong.. Yes but does she deserve to be hounded the way she is by social media keyboard warriors.. No.. If anything trial by media can have an adverse affect on court cases

Visit site
So, D. D. Braithwaite, author of a ‘gripping’ romantic drama between an anti and a fox hunter, are you here because you’re a friend of hers (in which case, you ought to know that the best way to help her is not to fuel the fire), or are you here because you’re mining content to inspire your next novel?

Regardless, if you think punching a horse on the face in a moment of madness could happen to anyone, I sincerely hope the closest you get to a horse is in a book.
I'm neither her friend nor mining for stories.. Already have one for the sequel.. Though judging by the quotes on the gripping.. I'm guessing you weren't impressed with it.

Okay it was poor choice of words I admit that and apologise for that but I do think some reactions on social media.. Are a bit much and in some cases sickening

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Yes but does she deserve to be hounded the way she is by social media keyboard warriors.. No..

Actually yes she does, the great British Justice system failed miserably. I am delighted that there are still enough principled people out there happy to stand up to that farcical (in this instance I obviously cannot comment on cases in general) judicial system and clearly state anywhere, be it social media, in the press or just chatting between friends, that the jury and the judge got it very wrong in this instance. Someone has to be the voice of abused animals no matter who they belong to and what social set you happen to move in.

stangs

Visit site
How about the person who, by their own admission had never been near any horse but the occasional police horse until last year, stop telling actual horse folk what their reaction to someone abusing a horse should be? :)

Death threats are unacceptable but vehement criticism of her online is to be expected.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
We have a judicial system, not mob rule. Whether one agrees with a verdict or not, that does not give carte blanche to behave like a medieval mob given modern means to harass. Anyone who believes that social media threats and harassment are appropriate very obviously does not believe in the rule of law.

Agreed, and perhaps I am behaving rather badly with my obvious contempt with the outcome of the case and contempt for this lady in particular. But no. I do not always believe in the rule of law, often the rule of law is a complete ass and gets it wrong in many instances. I do find these days I do not 'mask' I tend to say openly and clearly what I think on certain subjects even if others might find it disagreeable, I can live with your disapproval as I can with my own conscience.

But I can assure you that had this 'person' not immediately presented herself as the victim and not even shown one ounce of regret for losing her temper and physically abusing the horse, also just lamenting that she was actually caught doing so, not the act itself, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to continue to comment. I suspect others have also commented for that reason alone. The woman needs to shuffle off and get over her self inflicted 'poor me' chip on the shoulder and re think how she handles and treats animals and perhaps attend some anger management courses.

Visit site
How about the person who, by their own admission had never been near any horse but the occasional police horse until last year, stop telling actual horse folk what their reaction to someone abusing a horse should be? :)

Death threats are unacceptable but vehement criticism of her online is to be expected.
I was referring more to the death threats and People hoping she would come to serious harm, that's the people I was referring to...

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The decision of the court is not always morally or ethically correct. This case further proves that animals need, and deserve, more protection under UK law.
So do you believe that if you disagree with a verdict that this makes it as acceptable to then hound the person n on social media?

equinerebel

Visit site
So do you believe that if you disagree with a verdict that this makes it as acceptable to then hound the person n on social media?
I am specifically only commentating on the crime SM committed, and the subsequent trial. I disagree with the verdict, yet I have not hounded anyone on social media. So there's your answer to that question.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
SM was found not guilty, therefor did not commit any offence.
But nevertheless she behaved very poorly by punching the pony on the head, and I think that you would agree with that?

Her defence council stated that it is a normal and accepted procedure to hit horses. This will deliberately have put doubts in the mind of the jury as to whether she overstepped the mark in chastising the pony, or whether it was expected and correct behaviour for a person to punish the pony by punching it.

Did you, as a horsey person, find her punching the pony on the head to be acceptable?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
But nevertheless she behaved very poorly by punching the pony on the head, and I think that you would agree with that?

Her defence council stated that it is a normal and accepted procedure to hit horses. This will deliberately have put doubts in the mind of the jury as to whether she overstepped the mark in chastising the pony, or whether it was expected and correct behaviour for a person to punish the pony by punching it.

Did you, as a horsey person, find her punching the pony on the head to be acceptable?
My views are immaterial, she was tried by a court and found not guilty, she is therefore not a criminal and committed no offence. If people feel that this is wrong, then surely they should lobby for a change to the law, not hound one individual?

equinerebel

Visit site
My views are immaterial, she was tried by a court and found not guilty, she is therefore not a criminal and committed no offence.
If only the world were as black and white as that.

There are plenty of miscarriage of justices out there. They happen all the time. It doesn't necessarily mean a crime wasn't committed, it usually means the law is flawed. As an unrelated example, a friend of mine was killed. It went to trial and his murderer walked free on a legal technicality. I still refer to that person as my friends murderer.

Punching an animal is always wrong, and, IMO, always a crime.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I think it is important to discuss the case and the video that shows her punching and kicking her horse/ pony( not sure which it is). Whether she was found guilty or not the video is there to show she did actually punch and kick her horse. It needs to be said that this is not an acceptable way to discipline an animal and nor to teach it how it should behave. We should be standing up for horses and saying this is not acceptable behaviour and letting the wider public know that this is not considered acceptable behaviour in the horse world.
The law is not always right, I know of people who have got away with things because of who they knew . Winning or losing a case because evidence wasn’t collected properly, etc.
I also don’t see anyone on here threatening her or her family, I don’t condone that at all.

eta @equinerebel I so sorry to hear about your friend. 😢 Hugs.

Last edited:

equinerebel

Visit site
If we want to get into the legal technicalities, lets do it. I study law for a hobby and am always looking to expand my knowledge.

There is currently no legal framework for the welfare of animals or livestock at shows or "animal gatherings" - which I assume a meet came under. However, there is for transporting animals. The law is clear there:

When you transport animals you must:
  • plan the journey properly and keep it as short as possible
  • check the animals during the journey to make sure you meet their needs for water, feed and rest
  • make sure the animals are fit to travel
  • design, construct and maintain the vehicle and loading and unloading facilities to avoid injury and suffering
  • make sure anyone handling the animals are trained or competent in the task and do not use violence or any methods likely to cause unnecessary fear, injury or suffering
  • give the animals sufficient floor space and height

However, unfortunately, the law does not apply in this case as SM was not transporting a horse in the course of business, trade, hire or reward. Had she been, she most likely would have been prosecuted for the exact same thing she was found not guilty on. So forgive me if I'm not willing to consider her free of crime. It's an absence of the law that benefited her, not the absence of any wrongdoing.