Sarc-Ex

How successful was Sarc-ex for horses with active sarcoids (growing or producing new lumps actively)

• Brilliant, definitely helped and horse now sarcoid free

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Think it helped along with other products

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Hard to tell but would use it again in future

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No obvious improvement

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

alibali

Visit site
Just wondering what success people have had using this? Did you use it alone or with other products? How long before you saw changes (if at all)? Thanks ☺️

catembi

Visit site
I sold the horse when we were just starting our 2nd tub, so hard to say! He had a flat one below his eye when I bought him, which looked like a tiny tack rub (but in the wrong place for a tack rub). They started to multiply & I was treating with cold sore cream from Amazon where 10 tubes isn't much more than £10. No idea if it was doing much, then he went on livery for a month as I was waiting for a sold one to go & when he came back, OMFG they had really gone nuts! My immediate reaction was that I ought to ring the vet the next day to get them lasered as they were so much worse, but then I started the cold sore cream again & also started sarc-ex for the first time and they began to shrivel & drop off pretty quickly.

TPO

Visit site
I took a punt and fed a tub of supplement along with the cream. Admittedly I forgot about the cream within a fortnight.

I also managed to forget about having fed the supplement until my dad asked a few months ago if they were gone. They were

Again they were tiny little dots on his girth area and not vet diagnosed as sacoids. They cause no issues so I'm choosing to ignore them having had bad experiences with Liverpool cream.

He reacts badly to fly bites and I've felt a few wee lumps but can't see if they are sarcoidy or bites. Time will tell.

But long story short his dots had been stable for years and then vanished after 1 tub of sarc-ex and a tiny bit of cream but might be back ??‍♀️??‍♀

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I dutifully fed Sarc-ex to my sarcoid prone mare for about two years with no effect - her old ones stayed and she still developed new ones. They had been assessed by Prof K as they were tricky being near her stifle, and would need lengthy, complicated and costly treatments.

Intetestingly, and I've posted elsewhere about this, once I started the recommended post Equibiome result feeding protocols a year ago for her hind gut ulcers her sarcoids have improved. She's not grown any new ones, and the ones she has are calmer.

Plus her hind gut ulcer symptoms are much lessened. Less stress - fewer sarcoids?

EstherYoung

Visit site
Mine had a batch of really aggressive sarcoids come out of nowhere in 2019. Photos were sent off to Dr K, a radioactive treatment plan was agreed. In the three weeks between agreeing the plan and waiting for the drugs etc to be imported, the only thing I did differently was start feeding Sarc EX. By the time the three weeks were up, they had all gone as mysteriously as they arrived.

Now then, corellation doesn't equal causation. Some thoughts:
- My vets advised that sometimes in sudden sarcoids like this the horses immune system will kick in and kill the sarcoids on its own. Maybe the Sarc-Ex helped with that, I don't know
- Supplements for something like this should only be given with veterinary approval. Don't delay veterinary attention to try a supplement as you may only have a small window of time for your response (whatever it is) to be effective
- Chronic sarcoids are probably a different kettle of fish.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I couldn't get Arabi to eat it tried everything I find all the global herbs stuff is like curry powder he won't touch it and it's so strong you can't disguise it.

I put him on the platinum balancer from progressive earth and they did shrink, the one in his nose went flat and it has remained that way, although I have noticed a tiny one on his tummy infront of sheath so am keeping an eye on them.

I did get some cold sore cream but am nervous to use it as his allergic to so many things.

My vet said they are connected to the horse being run down and or stressed so if you find the source for that they often go on there own.

Arabi had one appear after a colic and bout of lameness.

alibali

Visit site
reacts badly to fly bites and I've felt a few wee lumps but can't see if they are sarcoidy or bites. Time will tell.

But long story short his dots had been stable for years and then vanished after 1 tub of sarc-ex and a tiny bit of cream but might be back ??‍♀️??‍♀

Thanks for this info, I will keep my fingers crossed for fly bites for you!

I dutifully fed Sarc-ex to my sarcoid prone mare for about two years with no effect - her old ones stayed and she still developed new ones. They had been assessed by Prof K as they were tricky being near her stifle, and would need lengthy, complicated and costly treatments.

Intetestingly, and I've posted elsewhere about this, once I started the recommended post Equibiome result feeding protocols a year ago for her hind gut ulcers her sarcoids have improved. She's not grown any new ones, and the ones she has are calmer.

Plus her hind gut ulcer symptoms are much lessened. Less stress - fewer sarcoids?

Thanks for your reply, purchased this horse end of February, stress made her stop eating and she ended up with, we presume, ulcers (didn't want to add a scope to an already stressed out horse). Omeprazol immediately had her eating again so seems likely. Sarcoids found within days of arrival, one round of Liverpool cream has not resolved them. Further Liverpool cream treatment suggested however I'm waiting until after fly season and not keen on repeating the cream due to requiring sedation every time and the pain/swelling. Lasering suggested as alternative but location means a GA would be required and I'm not keen. Since treatment she has grown another two in the same region. I can't see any point in lasering if new ones may sprout the following day!

So she's been stressed though settling much better now, looking well but may be run down. I'm looking for something to address the sarcoids systematically while we wait out fly season and reassess then. Trying to decide between Sarc-ex and a gut supplement that several people have had success with on a FB group. I'm drawn to the gut supplement as although she is eating well now and in good condition she has recently had a problem. However also feel it might be better to give a supplement specifically designed for sarcoids. Hence trying to establish what success/failures other people have had ?

corellation doesn't equal causation. Some thoughts:
- My vets advised that sometimes in sudden sarcoids like this the horses immune system will kick in and kill the sarcoids on its own. Maybe the Sarc-Ex helped with that, I don't know
- Supplements for something like this should only be given with veterinary approval. Don't delay veterinary attention to try a supplement as you may only have a small window of time for your response (whatever it is) to be effective
- Chronic sarcoids are probably a different kettle of fish.

Thank you for your thoughts, I agree correlation definitely not equalling causation however very difficult to find any data which isn't n=1. Normally people only shout about the positive results so was hoping using a poll might pick up negative results and give a rounder picture. Very complicated things to deal with, easy to aggravate rather than help and so many suggestions for remedies but little actual data! At least there's an ingredient list with Sarc-ex!!! Agree with your point re vet assessment and treatment, it has been done, as above.

Vet said they are connected to the horse being run down and or stressed so if you find the source for that they often go on there own.

Arabi had one appear after a colic and bout of lameness.

Yes she has recently moved to me so stressful having had to cope with new surroundings, new field mates, etc I'm starting her so introducing leading out, long reins etc. I'm trying to build confidence gradually!

Reactions: TPO

lynz88

Visit site
I used 3 tubs and it seemed to work but slowly. It didn't get rid of them completely but I did manage to pop one out and another started crusting over but never fully disappeared.

The sarcoids got worse over the winter and I've tried a few things and not really had much luck. Until. Following TP's route for suspected hindgut ulcers, started feeding dried oily herbs while I waited for my equibiome report. It's been 2 months one very large sarcoid has nearly disappeared and he has fur growing over it!! I haven't been able to make it do anything in 2 years! I have another one that is huge and will definitely drop in the next month or 2.

lynz88

Visit site

I'm really wondering if somehow we own the same horse....the sarcoid that has nearly disappeared since feeding the oily herbs was newr the stifle on mine plus a very large one between his back legs. My equibiome report was also very very very similar to the few pages you shared on the equibiome thread....and they both seemed to be acting similarly...?

alibali

Visit site
I'm really wondering if somehow we own the same horse....the sarcoid that has nearly disappeared since feeding the oily herbs was newr the stifle on mine plus a very large one between his back legs. My equibiome report was also very very very similar to the few pages you shared on the equibiome thread....and they both seemed to be acting similarly...?
Disappears to look up equibiome........ ?

lynz88

Visit site
This is one of the sarcoids that I've not been able to make it do much of anything. First pic was from about a year ago. Second picture was from about a week ago. It started growing additional sarcoids over the winter (as you can see) and nothing would make them go away except adding the herbs. I also got on my boy and did a proper (walk) hack for the first time in over a year and he felt as if he had just had his hock(s) jabbed! The turnaround has been amazing and still have a bit further to go (...back to researching what mix of herbs checks the boxes from the Equibiome report....). Farrier was also just down and said his feet are the best and strongest they've ever been so everything seems to be pointing in the right direction.

Attachments

• PSX_20220705_101548.jpg
    PSX_20220705_101548.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PSX_20220705_102144.jpg
    PSX_20220705_102144.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 17

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've been feeding the supplement and using the lotion for about 6 or 7 weeks now.

Something is happening but I'm not sure what! At first it crusted over but now it's gone very soft. I can't see a huge difference in size but I'll give it another few weeks.