Sarcoid fallen off - what to do?

TreeDog

Visit site
My gelding has couple sarcoids around his groin/sheath, small flat ones that don't cause problems and are barely visible. A few months ago he developed a nodular one on his sheath, decided to leave it alone as delicate area. He has previously had a nodular one about the size of a pea that remained unchanged for months before dropping off, leaving a tiny scar. Unfortunately this new one continued growing, I've been umming and ahing about asking vet to remove it but summer arrived and I've been told summer is a bad time to try to treat. It was about the size of a large grape, and growing (longer, not in diameter).

Anyway, I've checked him this morning and it's mostly fallen off, though there is about 1/4 of it still there and where the rest of the sarcoid appears to have detached it looks not very nice, a bit like a wound. I've applied fly repellent cream extra liberally around the area.

Does anyone else have experience with this sort of thing? Should I put anything on it like antiseptic cream? Get vet out asap? What might a vet want to do if anything?

little_critter

Visit site
I'd give your vet a call and have a chat. He might say leave it alone, he might think something needs doing. See if you can send him a photo.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ring the vet .
You need an anti viral cream from the vet asap to try to protect the other horses as much as you can and also a barrier cream approved by your vet to apply on top .
If it possible it’s worth applying a melolin dressing kept on with a polster dressing to keep the flys off it .
Cover any knicks or cuts on your other horses with summer fly cream and use masks if they are getting their eyes bothered .

Bellalily

Visit site
Give your vet a ring. I had very similar with my chap, same place too, but his dropped off cleanly, so I'd have a chat with the pros.

TreeDog

Visit site
Vets advice was to wash gently with salt water and use summer fly cream to keep flies off, keep an eye on it and hope it heals over in a couple weeks. If it doesn't heal over they said they usually remove sarcoids by laser and would probably recommend that. I don't like the idea of laser removal so fingers crossed it heals over.

FFAQ

Visit site
My old Arab was absolutely riddled in sarcoids. I found blood root was really good for shrinking them and used to smother the site with sudocrem when they dropped off. Good luck, nasty things!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Vets advice was to wash gently with salt water and use summer fly cream to keep flies off, keep an eye on it and hope it heals over in a couple weeks. If it doesn't heal over they said they usually remove sarcoids by laser and would probably recommend that. I don't like the idea of laser removal so fingers crossed it heals over.

Laser is the best chance of getting a good result .
It is a bit shocking the first time you see it done .
It’s not always possible to laser the sheath it depends where they are .