Sarcoid removal

Marigold4

Visit site
Pony has sarcoid at the point where the underside of his neck meets his jaw. It was missed at the vetting as covered by thick fur, so I still have insurance. It's about the size of a 50p. This summer I applied Germolene daily and the top layer came off! So it is now same size but almost the same thickness as his skin. I want it removed now the flies have gone.

Would it be best to remove it by laser or surgery? Because of the position it's unlikely to get muddy. Cosmetically, it's position means a scar won't be very noticeable. Main concern is that it doesn't return.

Photo is of sarcoid before it lost top layer.IMG_5116.jpg

Marigold4

Visit site
Your vet will be able to advise which method is best. I think they’d probably go for laser on that.

Vet coming to look today. Just looking for people's experiences. I sometimes find vets see things from a different perspective to horse owners who do the aftercare and see the long term results.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If it's suitable for banding, that is the best and cheapest way to remove it, but that's a tricky location and banding might not be advisable. I've had one banded off the jowel before, and it never recurred.

For successful banding, the sarcoid should be a discrete lump without being adhered to tissue underneath, it needs some spare loose skin underneath it to get the bands on (sorry, not very technical talk there!).

It's worth asking your vet about, though, even if it's to rule banding out.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My first thought was also that there's enough loose skin in that area to band it. The advantage is that there should be no open wound if it's banded.

Marigold4

Visit site
It's pretty flat though - particularly now the top layer has come off. There is a lotof loose skin but it's also in a place where he's going to be moving that skin a lot while grazing. Anyone had success with banding flat ones?

ycbm

Visit site
Never seen one done, I suspect your vet will suggest laser, it's got good results these days.

live2ride

Visit site
Another option which can work if enough loose skin is smart surgery. The skin is sutured together under the sarcoid and then the sarcoid is lasered off.
With it sutured before removal, lessens the risk of sarcoids popping up along the suture line

Had this method done for a sarcoid removal in April from his girth Line.

Has healed flat.EAACEDB2-1870-49A3-884D-692C77388781.jpeg

live2ride

Visit site
Forgot to say.. there is a high risk of sutures popping/breakdown, but that’s a high risk for any sutures in a horse apparently .

ycbm

Visit site
That's a neat job. They're always better gone if it can be done easily. It will heal well, hopefully.