Sarcoid treatment - experiences please

My bambinos

Visit site
My boy is currently undergoing treatment by my vet for three sarcoids he has on his sheath, we are using the Liverpool cream which I am told has be made at the maximum strength which is what we needs for his type of sarcoid. My issue is that we are having real problems applying the cream he has had three applications now the first was fine, second a battle and third almost impossible even with a large amount of sedation. He is a big strong horse and is obviously finding it painful and stressful so wont stand whilst it is applied so we are not 100% sure how much of the cream is getting on them.

Sorry this is long winded but what I was looking for was other experiences, how you got round it, etc

The sarcoids are reacting he is supposed to have another application but we have decided to put this on hold to see if we can get away with not applying any more or we will have to revert to plan b which will be knocking him out completely which we want to avoid :(

Many thanks :)

sjp1

Visit site
I got shot of my horses sarcoids with Sarc Ex and Immuplus from Global Herbs. I am afraid I can't help you regarding Liverpool treatment.

weebarney

Visit site
Mine was treated with Liverpool Cream and kicked the vet in the knee, cue one angry swearing vet. His treated sarcoids did go but others have cropped up so for me personally I would leave them be unless they are causing problems like in the way of saddlery etc.

Happy H

Visit site
Presume vet is doing it do may need IV sedation. One thing with the Liverpool cream I'd say is if you've started treatment, you HAVE to finish it or they will come back 10 times worse!! Mine had 2 lots of 5 treatments about 6 months apart and they never came back :) and he had loads of them! I know a couple that didnt finish the treatment and they are much worse now. Good luck x

My bambinos

Visit site
Presume vet is doing it do may need IV sedation. One thing with the Liverpool cream I'd say is if you've started treatment, you HAVE to finish it or they will come back 10 times worse!! Mine had 2 lots of 5 treatments about 6 months apart and they never came back :) and he had loads of them! I know a couple that didnt finish the treatment and they are much worse now. Good luck x

Thanks for your comments.

I will definitely be finishing his treatment regardless of how long it takes us :confused: he has been having sedation in the muscle as he got himself in a tizz and wouldn't let her inject into the vein I'm sure we will get there in the end I was just wondering if anyone had a horse that was difficult to treat with the cream.

peanut

Visit site
I got shot of my horses sarcoids with Sarc Ex and Immuplus from Global Herbs. I am afraid I can't help you regarding Liverpool treatment.

I got rid of my horse's sarcoids with Global Herb's Sarc Ex too. It is supposed to be most effective if used in the spring. That was about 5 years ago and there has been no recurrence.

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
My boy developed about half a dozen small wart sized sarcoids on his sheath over summer as well as a sizeable (50p piece) one on his belly nearby.
We treated the ones on his sheath with Zovirax coldsore cream and they promptly disappeared and are yet to return. The vets advised that as sacroids are virus driven that they are similar to coldsores and herpes and they therefore tend to respond well to coldsore treatments.
The larger one on his belly (which was caused we think by a leg strap from his rug rubbing and getting infected) was banded twice but still wouldn't heal, was eventually treated by his surgeon with a laser when he was in horsepital recently for a tie back op. That one has also healed beautifully and the hair is now starting to grow back and the site looks quite good and looks as though (so far) that there won't be any further problems with it.
I did ask his former vet, his current vet and also the surgeon about it and asked about Liverpool Cream but they were very reluctant to use it as they said that the pain factor usually outweighed the results in all but the most acute cases.
I realize there are several different types of sarcoids so treatment will depend on which type are present. It's my first time of having to deal with sarcoids as none of my other horses over 30 years ever had them so I'm a bit in the dark about them to be honest.

longdog

Visit site
One of ours had a horrible sarcoid right behind the girth which rubbed & bled copiously. We used Tea Tree oil, as recommended by our PC DC - cured it completely. Obviously not much help as you are now using Liverpool cream, but might be worth thinking about if any others appear.

putasocinit

Visit site
I read an article recently about the body being too acidic and that is what can cause sarcoids so to treat from the inside and make the body less acidic, search the acid-alkaline balance for horses.

aldato_daz

Visit site
Hi there
My horse had a sarcoid about the size of a golf ball on his sheath. Before going down the expensive medical route I decided to try herbal stuff first. Got a lot of research from the forum actually. So first and only thing I tried was thuja cream, you can get it from natural shops online. I applied it about twice a day liberally and it dropped off within 2 weeks if I remember correctly. No pain, bleeding or discomfort!

My bambinos

Visit site
Hi there
My horse had a sarcoid about the size of a golf ball on his sheath. Before going down the expensive medical route I decided to try herbal stuff first. Got a lot of research from the forum actually. So first and only thing I tried was thuja cream, you can get it from natural shops online. I applied it about twice a day liberally and it dropped off within 2 weeks if I remember correctly. No pain, bleeding or discomfort!

Hi yes I heard about the thuja tablets and cream and tried that route for several months before going for the Liverpool cream, the thuja didn't do anything I really gave it my best shot I don't know if it doesn't work on certain types of sarcoids I'm really not sure :confused:

He is a lot more comfortable today and will let me touch his sheath without showing me his hoof! I doubt he would kick me he just lifts his leg up so I am just going to monitor how they go on this week and hope he doesn't need any further applications.

monikirk

Visit site
My horse had what was thought to be a sarcoid on his shoulder. It grew very quickly and was lasered off by a vet from Rossdales. Turned out after biopsy was done that it was a melanoma. He's healed up beautifully and hair is growing back.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
my vet has given me the option of liverpool cream or laser. she warned that the cream needs a few visits and she must come to do it, that the horse will know what is coming and get worse each time (ei will know its going to hurt) so I will be going the laser route. it is on her chest. im not sure if they laser sheath area?:(

My bambinos

Visit site
my vet has given me the option of liverpool cream or laser. she warned that the cream needs a few visits and she must come to do it, that the horse will know what is coming and get worse each time (ei will know its going to hurt) so I will be going the laser route. it is on her chest. im not sure if they laser sheath area?:(

The other option my vets has said if we can't get the cream on again is to inject them and then they will tie them off :eek: and that will be a one off treatment to get rid of them, he will have to be completely knocked out for that so it really is a last resort I don't want him going through anything if he doesn't have to. The vet hasn't mentioned anything about lasering maybe because of the type of sarcoid or where they are I will mention it to her though.

Dunmere

New User
Visit site
Currently treating my pony for Sarcoids. Had a particular nasty one between her front legs,which kept bleeding. Vet did a biopsy but actually cut it all out, so hoping we have it all. She has flat ones on the inside of her hind legs. I tried thuja cream and tablets with no results. Have decided to leave these ones alone now and feed the Sarc ex from Global Herbs. Fingers crossed it works.

Maisy

Visit site

My horse had 5 very small sarcoids lasered off his face today....he looks very sorry for himself as the wounds are left open and will apparently swell and ooze....:-( I hope they are gone once and for all, as the liverpool cream got rid of them once and they came back (I would have had a second go with the cream, but he kept rubbing it off as he is now coming in at night)

Fingers crossed!!