Sarcoid?

kimberleigh

Visit site
Have had a little 3 year old Connie staying for about 8 weeks so far for some basic handling, education and light backing. She has came on in leaps and bounds! Such a sweet, sensitive girl who will make a cracking jumper as she has serious springs in her feet...

However, when she arrived she had what looked like an almost flat wart on her face and I immediately thought sarcoid.

It wasnt bothering her at all, was slightly raised but not red/scabby and she didnt itch or rub at it.

Over past week she has been rubbing it a lot, so it has been open and looks sore but within a day its has scabbed over and dried up again.

Have to have headcollar on loosely as top of noseband will irritate it else.

Owner is sending her to sales mid August - so vets visits etc for things like this aren't on the agenda.

Basically just wondering if general consensus would be an occult sarcoid? If so, what effect on price would it have? Being sold at a sales there isn't likely to be any vetting involved! But I feel it ought to be disclosed just for purposes of being honest - I expect it will be easily missed on the day by anyone looking...

Will attach some pics to try and give idea of size/placement

2AYvAoc.jpg

y1jlwIL.jpg

KNFm3bM.jpg

And finally just because she is so pretty!

wII8dL0.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
Yes it looks suspicious of a sarcoid.
But it is what it is - if the sale is in August you haven’t got time to get it treated anyway. I’d keep barrier cream on it, try and use tack that won’t rub/irritate it and then just put horse in the sale. It’s there for people to see and make their own mind up on. No biggie really.

kimberleigh

Visit site
Yes it looks suspicious of a sarcoid.
But it is what it is - if the sale is in August you haven’t got time to get it treated anyway. I’d keep barrier cream on it, try and use tack that won’t rub/irritate it and then just put horse in the sale. It’s there for people to see and make their own mind up on. No biggie really.

That is very true!

Haven't been using a noseband on the bridle to remove chance of irritation from that and hopefully now that its cooled down a fair bit the flies wont be so much of an irritation!

Suechoccy

Visit site
Gently rub thuja cream into it twice a day. It will either go within two weeks or it won't change at all. Either way it will soothe the area.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Lady on my yard has had most unexpected success with toothpaste (I was sceptical but didn't think it would do any harm)

In terms of warranties, probably in the detail of the specific sale particulars - if you have to warrant that she doesn't have known medical issues then you will have to flag it, if it's just sound in wind and limb no need to raise it

kimberleigh

Visit site
Lady on my yard has had most unexpected success with toothpaste (I was sceptical but didn't think it would do any harm)

In terms of warranties, probably in the detail of the specific sale particulars - if you have to warrant that she doesn't have known medical issues then you will have to flag it, if it's just sound in wind and limb no need to raise it

I have heard of toothpaste being used but assumed it was old wives tale type thing. Will speak to owner and get them to double check the particulars as wouldn't want them to have any negative comeback. He isnt the most horsey, despite having a lot of very well bred stock and I doubt has heard of sarcoids tbh so want to make sure he doesn't withhold info accidentally

Polos Mum

Visit site
I have heard of toothpaste being used but assumed it was old wives tale type thing.

Absolutely me too - if I hadn't seen personally a nasty marble size open bleeding lump reduced to an almost undetectable scar shaped thing I wouldn't believe it myself.

Sarcoid is a very generic term, there are lots of different types I'm sure - but no harm in trying something inexpensive and not painful IMHO

It's the fluoride apparently - so higher strength the better - the active ingredient in Liverpool cream is 5-fluorouracil so maybe similar properties

ihatework

Visit site
I have heard of toothpaste being used but assumed it was old wives tale type thing. Will speak to owner and get them to double check the particulars as wouldn't want them to have any negative comeback. He isnt the most horsey, despite having a lot of very well bred stock and I doubt has heard of sarcoids tbh so want to make sure he doesn't withhold info accidentally

I think this is wise.
It’s all very well putting stuff on the sarcoid of a horse you own and taking the risk, but I would advise not doing it on a paying clients horse without obtaining their approval after informing them of the potential risks.

Last thing you need is to flare up the sarcoid just as you are trying to sell for someone

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Have had a little 3 year old Connie staying for about 8 weeks so far for some basic handling, education and light backing. She has came on in leaps and bounds! Such a sweet, sensitive girl who will make a cracking jumper as she has serious springs in her feet...

However, when she arrived she had what looked like an almost flat wart on her face and I immediately thought sarcoid.

It wasnt bothering her at all, was slightly raised but not red/scabby and she didnt itch or rub at it.

Over past week she has been rubbing it a lot, so it has been open and looks sore but within a day its has scabbed over and dried up again.

Have to have headcollar on loosely as top of noseband will irritate it else.

Owner is sending her to sales mid August - so vets visits etc for things like this aren't on the agenda.

Basically just wondering if general consensus would be an occult sarcoid? If so, what effect on price would it have? Being sold at a sales there isn't likely to be any vetting involved! But I feel it ought to be disclosed just for purposes of being honest - I expect it will be easily missed on the day by anyone looking...

Will attach some pics to try and give idea of size/placement

2AYvAoc.jpg

y1jlwIL.jpg

KNFm3bM.jpg

And finally just because she is so pretty!

wII8dL0.jpg

Pretty little pony

Yes it does look like a sarcoid- and you have to be careful on the face as they can be a different type and spread wider. I got the vet out to mine and after a few attacks on it it died and the hair is growing back This was taken months ago and you can see how the small 5p size started and spread into the big dark area on her muzzle and now it has hair on and vet happy it is dead.
Found_123350616_2185903_zps8inl9s7z.jpg

TreeDog

Visit site
It's the fluoride apparently - so higher strength the better - the active ingredient in Liverpool cream is 5-fluorouracil so maybe similar properties

I wasn't going to comment but having studied a fair bit of medicinal chemistry I can't not - cancer drugs have complicated mechanisms of action and chemical interactions, 5-fluorouracil and toothpaste are not the same just because they both contain fluorine.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I wasn't going to comment but having studied a fair bit of medicinal chemistry I can't not - cancer drugs have complicated mechanisms of action and chemical interactions, 5-fluorouracil and toothpaste are not the same just because they both contain fluorine.

Absolutely not - just interesting that in the one case I have seen it used, the toothpaste did such a good job - equally I know sarcoids can shrink on their own so it could well have been happy circumstance in my sample of 1 !!