Sarcoids and Showing

COURTJESTER10

New User
Visit site
i was thinking about doing some showing with my horse but she has Sarcoids and i have been told that i would be marked down in some classes. just wondering if anyone knows any different or just has any info ?

Also if you know of any good treatments, we've had cryo surgery And cream a few times... they have come back thouhg :/

Many Thanks,
Jessie :)

Toffee44

Visit site
My mare has one sarcoid near her udder(on the inside of her hind). I entered her into WHP and totally forgot about her sarcoid, the judge did not seem to notice. But this was at local level.

kestrel1234

Visit site
My friends horse had a sarcoid on his neck.
We couldn't find anything that would cure it.
Then we found Camrosa Ointment and it got rid of his sarcoids within a month or so.

summer03

Visit site
Be wary of camrosa - I had a horse with a sarcoid once that it worked wonders on and got rid of it. My current horse also has sarcoids - went straight for the camrosa and it made it bigger and worse but I kept using it as they said it will quite often get worse before it gets better but after 8 months it had got huge and sore and the surounding area was swollen. I stopped using it, banded them and once they fell off applied some stuff my friend got sent over from america - will look up what it was as it worked wonders.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Sarcoid queries pop up on the Forum many many times. Would be worth OP searching back for old posts. The problem with sarcoids is that many odd lumps and bumps MIGHT be a sarcoid but many AREN'T! But if an owner treats a lump that they THINK is a sarcoid (but ISN'T) with, say, custard and it gets better, then that owner will be utterly convinced that custard cures sarcoids. Many lumps are warty things that clear up on their own regardless of what you slap on them. Many people put Camrosa on lumps but if you read the literature closely (AFTER you've bought it) it categorically says do NOT use for sarcoids. Camrosa contains heavy metals and is toxic. Any intervention with a TRUE sarcoid - a skin cancer - can cause it to grow more aggressively. Any product that says on the label anything like "aids new skin growth" should be avoided like the plague with TRUE sarcoids. The last thing you ever want to do with a TRUE sarcoid is to give it a growth spurt. Tea tree products and aloe vera should be avoided with a true sarcoid. So how can you tell a TRUE sarcoid from something warty and harmless? You can't for certain unless you take a biopsy for microscopic examination. And the very act of taking a biopsy can cause a TRUE sarcoid to grow. Many vets say if they THINK it's a sarcoid, they treat it as if it definitely IS one. There are several treatments available that depend on the size, position etc of the sarcoid. Liverpool cream has a high success rate but it is toxic so you can't apply it when the sarcoid is eg near the eye. Some sarcoids can be successfully treated with cryosurgery, ie being frozen off. Some are incredibly slow growing so the safest thing to do is leave them alone. Be fly aware as it is believed that flies can spread sarcoids through a virus they can carry. If you want to read the definitive guide to sarcoids, read Prof Knottenbelt's guidance for owners. Google it and you'll find the link. He is a world expert and his advice is that the only predictable thing about sarcoids is their unpredictability.

COURTJESTER10

New User
Visit site
We Tried camrosa after the ver recomended it . and it made one bigger and worse but didnt affect the other at all.. if you could find out what the stuff your friend got that would be brill.? .. Thanks :)

LazyS

Visit site
I came onto this 'Veterinary' forum to read about sarcoids. I wanted to ask how long do they take to heal after treatment with Liverpool cream (via Knottenbelt)? It has been three weeks now since one of mine was treated. I was told by the vet administering the cream that it would take about 4 months to heal. I have showed this horse, with the sarcoid, and been made champion! Sarcoid is on chest. The horse has had this since about two years old and at the time the vets advice was not to interfere as that would just make it worse. It was fine until last summer when it became unsightly (horse now 5). Asked the vet again about it who went through all the options and had heard good reports about homeopathic Thuja (internally and externally both applied together). Tablets and cream. As this was the least expensive and a gentler option I did this for about a month and it at first appeared to improve no end, but then a quarter of it erupted into something else much worse! Time for veterinary intervention. The Liverpool cream seemed the best course. And it is does seem to have worked. The only thing I would have done different would have been to get it treated earlier - as the insurance company made noises about paying out for something that had been present for longer than a year! Fortunately I had some savings (from a youngster I had sold recently) and was able to pay for it myself but I wished I had got it sorted before. I am hoping to have the horse out in the show ring again end of July so hope it will have gone by then! Anyone had a similar experience?

LazyS

Visit site
Sorry Court Jester I didn't mean to hi-jack your post but hopefully I have helped with your question too. It didn't make any difference in the show ring (as far as I know) horse is always placed (in hand). I did try to disguise it with chalk (horse is white+) but last summer it became raised - like tree bark and as it was a different colour stood out, so I didn't show just got on with trying to sort the problem. One other thing I was advised was to treat when there were no flies, I think I have done it just in time. So if you are going down the Liverpool cream route perhaps wait (if you can) until the autumn now.

spacefaer

Visit site
Re the OP original showing question - technically a sarcoid is an unsoundness - so depending on where it is and how unsightly, at local you'll probably get away with it, at a higher level, you shouldn't

We had a little mare who had a bad reaction to fly bites just in front of her udder (large area sore to the touch and swollen) and she developed a sarcoid at that point.

We tried thuja which didn't have a huge effect - seemed to shrink it slightly but nothing more. We then used Sarc-ex from global Herbs and Camrosa. The sarcoid was a pyramid shape one initially, with the ointment applications, it changed shape and got more rounded. It also became raw and weeping but I kept it covered with camrosa to keep the flies away. Also put net-tex anti fly ointment round the area (away from the sarcoid) to keep the flies off too.

One morning, it looked like someone had taken a stanley knife to it as it was partially severed and hanging off. By the afternoon, it had gone. I kept applying the camrosa to the remains of the root until the scar had healed and residual swelling had gone.

Whole thing took about 6 months.....

COURTJESTER10

New User
Visit site
To be honest i really cant remember how long it took for the liverpool cream.. i think it was about 6 months for them to dissappear.. they then came back. but if i remember rightly that was the best treatment as they have come back but they havn't got any bigger in the last two years. since they were treated with liverpool. (if that makes any senece) we aslo tried thuja and camrosa .. neither of which made any differece. i think it depends on the horse... we made a bid mistake by having the chryo in the summer because she had a huge whole in her log and the plies were terrible. best treat them through the Autum/winter.

Our mare who has them is daRK BAY SO we thought about using a bit of boot polish. i think for local level they arent a bother but when you get up to county it's a bigger deal!

Thanks SuenRoux. i hope this helps too.

LazyS

Visit site
Thank you CJ. My horse was Champ at county level in 2008, with sarcoid (think I did put chalk on it for that occasion). I just felt I was pushing it last year as it had changed appearance. Hope it doesn't take 6 months! At the moment it looks like the whole thing is going to drop off - am not putting anything on it - but I have started the Thuja tablets again (hoping that helps). They have helped cure rain scald - I had a mare and two youngsters on a very windswept unsheltered field and they all came home with rain scald. (They were out there August to December). Fed Thuja tablets to them and it has now all gone. Thuja is also good for mud fever. It does take time - t is not an overnight cure - but if you are persistent it seems to work. That's why I had high hopes for treating the sarcoid with it. When I was applying the cream, with disposable gloves on, the sarcoid's crusty bits were dropping off, so I really thought I was doing some good! Fingers crossed for us both.

hairycob

Visit site
Suenroux, My mare has had 5 sarcoids treated with Liverpool Cream. 2 were gone & healed in 8 weeks, 2 took about 4 months and one took nearly a year (that was after the 2nd course of treatment). In all she was off work (3 were under saddle or girth) for 16 months.

barnum

Visit site
TO Anyone who is interested I have sucessfully treated and cured multiple, ulcerated sarcoids, including previously treated ones. We found on the net www.animoils.co.uk
THis is a lady called Pauhla who has since become a very good friend with a lot of support during and after the healing process.
More help if needed.

www.yeo-vale.co.uk

COURTJESTER10

New User
Visit site
Another lady has recomended animoils to me. i think we are going to go ahead and give it a go! as for the thuja SR we only used the cream.. but agter hearing cussess stories on the Tablets they might be worth a try .. i think i'm just going to take her to a show and if they say something then well.. they do! Thanks for all the advice :)