sarcoids between bum cheeks, how to treat?

T's mum

Visit site
sorry for another sarcoid question but has anyone's horse developed sarcoids up between their bum cheeks? If so, how did you treat them?

Mines got quite a few and they are quite squishy due to the cheeks pressing them together but they do seem to be growing.

any cream causing a reaction would be agony for her to walk and probably wouldn't heal as the air couldn't get to it. also getting them debulked would probably be the same as if poo gets in then would get infected!

really don't want to leave them as they are growning in size and number.

Going to call the vet but just wondered if anyone had any the same and could advise a treatment for that tricky area!
thanks

pc2164

Visit site
I had one of my horses banded between her bum cheeks. It worked a treat. It would depend though on the type and size etc as to band you need to have a good neck on the sarcoid.

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
I'm in the same situation. I have tried thuja and Liverpool treatment on his sarcoids between his hind legs and higher up but they just came back. I am currently thinking about bloodroot ointment but again, it is a tricky location. God knows what to do, how many does yours have? Mine has one plum sized one and two or three little nodular ones. Maybe banding is the answer and this time of year is better due to the lack of flies but I have a bad feeling Fred's will return as they have three times now : (

becca1305

Visit site
mine developed flat ones there and were treated with a milder version of Liverpool cream under veterinary advice specially made for that area. Was warned she might be 'a little sore', very much an understatement she had such a nasty raw patch over a much larger area than sarcoids and whilst healed well it did take longer in that area. No recurrence so far, but never again unless absolutely necessary it made her so sore. If they are the type that can be treated by other methods such as banding you might have more viable options that aren't painful. She had another treated elsewhere with stronger Liverpool cream with no problems or soreness, just the cheeks rubbing together that caused the problem.

Last edited:

T's mum

Visit site
I think there's about 5. I'm sure they don't have bandable necks but will check again tonight.

did you have to keep yours on box rest until they dropped off and area healed? would imagine turning out so they rubbed wouldn't be a good idea!

otherwise suppose it's the usual debulking but that does leave flap of skin that takes a while to heal! :confused:

Triskar

Visit site
There's another thread on here about people that have had success in getting rid of sarcoids using Crest toothpaste - personally I'd search for that and give it a try - it'll be cheap and won't cause any discomfort and it may just work!

fredthoroughbred

Visit site
The vet actually advised to turnout as normal and the Liverpool cream didn't effect the other side of his thigh even though it was rubbing all the time. I think the Liverpool cream is only meant to kill unhealthy cells. Anyway, they grew back almost straight away so I'm not going down that route again. It may work amazingly for you though. It got rid of a couple on his front legs for good so I think it's a 50/50.

As for Crest, that worked on one of Fred's amazingly. Within ten days it had dropped clean off, roots and all. However, that was a fibroblastic sarcoid. It doesn't appear to work on nodular ones. Good luck though. Sarcoids are SO annoying!!!!

hairycob

Visit site
Depends on the type. My mare had a couple of nodular ones (about the size of a marble) in an awkward place at the top ofr her inner thigh banded & then injected with Liverpool cream.