Sarcoids - gutted

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
So my lovely grey has some rough patches of skin in her 'armpit' region. The vet has just left and is sending photos off to Prof K as she thinks that they are sarcoids. :( I should get his recommendations for treatment in approx 10 days.

Any stories of successful sarcoid treatment are gratefully received.

StableMum

Visit site
My daughter's pony developed sarcoids some years ago, he ended up with 35! He had all different types, flat, on stalks, he covered every type I think! The biggest was under his belly on the girth line. We had them treated with Liverpool cream, and that big one shelled out like a tennis ball, but you wouldn't know it had been there now. All disappeared and he's left with only one or two flat dark scars. Liverpool cream isn't pleasant but for us it worked. I do think we were helped by the fact that my other daughter was the vet applying the cream and she took her time and was meticulous in its application.
Good luck with your mare, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

rara007

Visit site
We're just on the home straight now- mixed sarcoid on a 6 year old pony upper eye lid. Spent 10 days up at the AHT getting HDR at the start of the year. So far so good! Was never really painful, able to carry on with work quickly, seems to be going...
Another was more simple- nodular on the chest of 7yo pony, banding failed, Liverpool cream worked and now about 8 years later still no sign of another.

PorkChop

Visit site
Have got rid of sarcoids successfully several times, the latest by using Liverpool Cream.

Sounds like you have caught them early, so no reason why they can't be treated and not come back :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Fatty has the nodular types I think he's had about five lots done over the years he has them lasered although fairly shocking when you first see it done it's worked well he not grown one for several years fingers crossed touch wood etc etc .
J grew on on the site of a small wound it's assumed it was passed from a fly from Fatty ,it was in a difficult place it was surgically removed then anti viral cream used and a dressing stitched over it it healed up and you can see where it was now mind it helps he's a grey .

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have been advised to keep them all in fly rugs etc... as soon as the flies come out to prevent transference.

Here's a photo, it's the same under both armpits.

5401ebfc-4398-456b-9588-627c8c084f33_zpsnnbcgu20.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
Oh FC... I am sorry - one of the top 10 scary words uttered by vets. Nothing to really add, others can advise better but Im really sorry for your news and will be keeping fingers and toes crossed xx

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
My new grey mare developed sarcoids and were treated by vet and some needed treatment but but all are healing up nicely, till a new one sprouted by her teats. Since been banded................................. and dropped off.
My old mare got some when I bought her - but all banded and dissappeared totaly, listen to your vet as I am sure they will sort it and they should go or need extra treatment.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks. I will definitely follow the Vet's advice to the letter, she's a young horse and I want her to have the best outcome possible.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Sorry about your youngster, Faracat.

My (then) 4-year old developed a nodular sarcoid on his inner thigh in Aug 2015, it was tiny, looked like a fly bite but I just had that sinking feeling and had my vet take a look. Prof K recommended 3 applications of Liverpool Cream which was very straightforward, no sedation needed, just bute for a few days before and after each application. There was a crusty scab for a while which eventually fell off.

I'm paranoid about every bump and fly bite and I think I always will be but so far, so good.

AnShanDan

Visit site
Only direct experience I've had was a horse with 3, treated with Liverpool cream, not returned yet in 4 years.

They are so common and it is very rare to find a horse that is so badly affected that it actually limits what you can do with it, the treatments are good and getting better.

Not nice, admittedly, but so much less serious than some conditions.

RachJ1994

New User
Visit site
I have seen many success stories of sarcoids treated by Prof. K, I would just wait it out and see what his advice says. If you have Facebook look on Equine Medical Solutions Ltd. page (Prof. Knottenbelt's company), if you don't then look at www.equinesarcoid.co.uk, there is lots of information there. As far as I know, sarcoids in the axilla (Armpit) can be difficult and you need to get them with the correct treatment first time to tackle them, Prof. Knottenbelt will know what to do!

irish_only

Somewhere snowy in winter, lovely in summer
Visit site
Hi Faracat, I've been battling a sarcoid for 3 yrs with vet assistance. Mine recommended not using Liverpool cream as it is both very painful and expensive. Long story short, I used the Black Salve as seen on the sarcoids fb page, and blow me down, 2 weeks later it came out by the root leaving a pink healthy hole that has healed beautifully. I am /was flabbergasted. It appears to be drawn into the sarcoid and aids the body in rejecting it. No pain or swelling and it costs £21

leflynn

Visit site
My then 5 yr old had a large sarcoid over his eye and a couple of tiny one under the other eye, was treated at leahurst under prof K for the larger (with iridium wire treatment) and the little ones at home with liverpool cream, all gone and he is now 11 :) Prof K is an amazing man!

hihosilver

Visit site
My grey young horse 5 at the time (now 9) had the exact same as yours in the same place. At the time they came he was not very well and suffering from a virus and raised liver enzymes. I just put sudacream on mainly to stop flies getting at them and they were sore. I had a vet look at them and she confirmed sarcoids. I decided not to treat as I was concerned using Liverpool cream might make them really sore and him uncomfortable to ride. fast forward to today and there is nothing there and hair has all grown back! perhaps I was just lucky! x

wiglet

Visit site
My mare had a small occult sarcoid on her chest, low down between her front legs. My vet said the standard treatment was Liverpool cream but like hihosilver, I wasn't keen to use such a caustic substance. Vet advised keeping a fly rug on and keeping a close eye on the sarcoid, any changes then treatment would be necessary. I kept it covered with sudocreme and a fly rug. 12 months later and the sarcoid was much smaller and difficult to find. Today, there is no sign of it. Vet said occasionally they do resolve of their own accord. Always seek a vets advice though.

leflynn

Visit site
As they are developing, rather than shrinking, I'm not sure that doing nothing is the right thing.

One of my boys over his eye grew at quite a rate and I was told if we didn't act he may lose an eye, better to do something than nothing with sarcoids!

darli

Visit site
Zirrus had a couple of flat, scaly sarcoids - one on his cheek and another on one of his forearms. Our vet suggested blood root ointment which I used in conjunction with sarc-ex. The areas did get inflamed but not seriously so. He never minded us putting the ointment on. Both areas healed and have hair regrowth - this was 10 a12 years ago. We never had any other issues. Hope you have a similar success.

Just thinking if it is both sides could she be rubbing on her hooves when laying down? It would be very unfortunate to get two sarcoids in the same areas at the same time.

Last edited:

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
My mare had a sarcoid near the girth that kept coming back more aggressively after banding, freezing and liverpool cream. Finally treated it with the Arc Equine Unit. Did what it said - took over 3 months, the sarcoid grew, then shrivelled, then dropped off. Is slowly growing back and as my mare is now 18yrs I doubt I will treat it with anything else. Fingers x for you

Britestar

Visit site
I've had two wth them.

!st one was about 5 years old and had 3 perioccular nodular sacoids. They were treated with BCG vaccine. Last week she was 21yrs old - never came back.

Other was about 5 years old. Had a slightly raised one on his tummy. Treated with Liverpool cream. Fell off, never came back. He is 9 in June.

Both are homebred. Others from the same family have never had.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes the first vet that saw her didn't think they were sarcoids due to the symmetry, but the rough patches got worse and the 2nd Vet, who saw her just before I started this thread, thinks they are sarcoids. Apparently fine skinned areas that sweat a lot are more prone. When she lies down, the areas aren't rubbed by anything - I checked. :(