Sarcoids in youngsters

Flash_28

Visit site
Hi

I have a foal of 14 months who I have rescued. It has been confirmed that by the vet that he has a bulbous sarcoid on his ear. As I have had Foaly less than a month I have been told of the options - cutting it off, Liverpool cream or Newmarket cream. Liverpool cream is most likely to be the best option for his ear. The sarcoid keeps scabbing up and then it drops off and shows pink flesh, then scabs again. So I have been told to watch how it behaves over the summer and then go from there. My NF pony has one on the inside of her leg when she was a baby and it dropped off. Is this quite a common thing to happen in youngsters?

rowy

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 3 year old you got 3 sarcoids as a 2 1/2 year old. YO pulled one off and it hasn;t returned but the vet told us to keep an eye on the other two and then if they don't fall off by the autumn do the treatments. One is on the inner thigh and is quite big (5p coin) and the other is very small on his sheath, in fact it looks like its shrinking.
The vet said that it could just be that their immune system hasn;t developed fully to fight it before they are 3 so it may just drop off but im not too sure about those on my youngster.
Apparently it is thought to be caused by flies which is why we dont want to treat it until autumn/ winter when all the flies have died :)

Flash_28

Visit site
Hi,
I have a 3 year old you got 3 sarcoids as a 2 1/2 year old. YO pulled one off and it hasn;t returned but the vet told us to keep an eye on the other two and then if they don't fall off by the autumn do the treatments. One is on the inner thigh and is quite big (5p coin) and the other is very small on his sheath, in fact it looks like its shrinking.
The vet said that it could just be that their immune system hasn;t developed fully to fight it before they are 3 so it may just drop off but im not too sure about those on my youngster.
Apparently it is thought to be caused by flies which is why we dont want to treat it until autumn/ winter when all the flies have died :)

I wouldn't be suprised if Foaly has his one due to a weak immue system to be honest as he is in a very poor condition.

It is good to hear that I'm not doing the wrong thing by leaving it at the moment. Think we have so much other stuff to concentrate on at the moment that is the least of his worries. I am going to try him with a fly mask with ears soon which could be interesting! Have been told it should benefit the sarcoid being protected from UV light.

Good luck with your lad and if he needs the treatment I hope it works well for him.

Loopy Loo

Visit site
My yearling has developed a small sarcoid type growth on the base of his ear and another on the inside thigh of a hind leg.
I've been advised not to leave them to wait & see. My vet thinks they're more likely to be Mast Cell Tumours, as it's rare for youngsters to get sarcoids. Photos have been taken and sent to Liverpool Uni to help with a diagnosis before any further action is taken. It could be that the decision is made that it's best to leave alone for the time being, if however they are candidates for treatment then the sooner treatment is started the higher the success rate will be - Or so I've been told!

Flash_28

Visit site
My yearling has developed a small sarcoid type growth on the base of his ear and another on the inside thigh of a hind leg.
I've been advised not to leave them to wait & see. My vet thinks they're more likely to be Mast Cell Tumours, as it's rare for youngsters to get sarcoids. Photos have been taken and sent to Liverpool Uni to help with a diagnosis before any further action is taken. It could be that the decision is made that it's best to leave alone for the time being, if however they are candidates for treatment then the sooner treatment is started the higher the success rate will be - Or so I've been told!

Foaly's sarcoid is on the base of his ear too. If he were ridden it would more than likely be knocked by the browband every time a bridle is put on or taken off.

At the moment I have been told to wait and see what happens with it as there are other issues with him I am having to deal with just now which come higher up in the list. He was also diagnosed with upward fixation of the patella so have this to work on 1st. As he is a rescue this was more than likely bought on by his very poor condition so I am trying to get him up to weight at the moment. Hope your yearlings treatment goes well and I will ask my vet if the time difference will make the sarcoid harder to treat. Thank you.

Loopy Loo

Visit site
Interesting...............My little chap hasn't had the best start to life either. At 6mths he managed to stand on a nail that penetrated straight up through his pedal bone; he was hospitalised for a month. Then when he was gelded he had a severe bleed followed by a persistant infection that needed a long term dose of antibiotics. He lost a lot of condition after both episodes & now he's developed his sarcoid type growths. I wonder if they could be connected to a weakened system?

Rueysmum

Visit site
My horse had 3 or 4 behind his sheath when he was three. I fed him thuja pills mixed with his feed for a couple of months and they dropped off.

He is now 15 and he had another one on his side which developed over this winter. Again, I used thuja pills mixed with feed and it eventually disappeared, although it did seem to take some time.

Thuja is cheap, non-invasive and available from chemists, health shops etc. It's certainly worth a try before resorting to more drastic measures.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
They are resulting growths from infection with the Bovine Papilloma Virus, spread from cattle via biting flies, and there does seem to be a recognised susceptibility. Youngsters (typically) and those with a weakened immune system. A friend's horse has them and he seems to be laid low with all sorts of minor things.