Sarcoids - post-treatment care

melbournesunrise

Visit site
Following weeks of waiting, my horse will be having his first treatment for sarcoids tomorrow. They are injecting something into each sarcoid (I think it will be mycomycin C) under sedation. The sarcoids are in the groin/inner thigh area.

Obviously I will be asking the vet specifically, but I was wondering why wondering what other people had to do for their horses with sarcoid treatment:

• Did your horse need to be kept inside the stable for a period of time after treatment?
  • If your horse was able to be turned out, was it normal turnout or did it need a smaller area for a time?
I'd just like some idea of what I could be facing! TIA

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The main problem is that it is still fly season. Ideally you'd wait til that is over, but sometimes needs must. Flies are a nightmare for just treated sarcoids if there is a significant open wound left as with lasering, but maybe the technique that your horse is having doesn't do this?

You will need to keep the horse in if there is an open wound, but turnout is normally fine otherwise especially as the sarcoids are in the groin, and shouldn't get dirty.

As ever, though, be guided by the advice that your vets give.

Good luck.

Birker2020

Visit site
I had this conundrum with my first horse who had a big sarcoid on his throat/lower neck area.

He kept catching it on the fence (far from ideal yard with barbed wire everywhere). I asked the vet what I should do as it was red raw and the vet said we had to wait until the flies had gone before he removed it.

In the end we had no choice as it kept getting caught on the fence so he removed it with a knife. As it was on his neck I sewed up some net curtain with elastic and it fitted him like a sleeve and kept the flies off. He was so good natured he didn't mind and I turned him out in it until it the area was healed. FUnnily enough he never caught the netting once on the fence although he'd continually rubbed his neck where the sarcoid was previously.

Obviously that's not going to work for you with it being on your horses thigh so I'd suggest keeping him in for the time being, it won't take long to heal up. If you cover it with cream it will soon come off in a field.