Sarcoids & Sarc-Ex

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hello,

I am considering buying a horse with a sarcoid and would appreciate any advice/opinions on the subject.

He is an 8 year old gelding who has had the sarcoid between his front legs for several years. It does not interfere with the girth at all. It is bleeding after he is ridden so the vendor is going to get it treated prior to the sale. The vet is coming out on Friday.

I know sarcoids can come back - is this likely? Is it likely to move? He has been on Global Herbs Sarc-Ex for the winter and I am wondering whether, if we buy him, we should continue this (or another supplement/prevention method) - Has anyone had any success/failure with this/any other products...

He is, otherwise, a lovely horse - any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sarah

kerilli

Visit site
he should be significantly cheaper because of the sarcoid.
i bought a mare with sarcoids many years ago - she would have been out of my league ££s wise otherwise, and my sensible vet passed her, because none of them were in the way of tack etc. they didn't hold her back at all.
is it in his armpit area? that's where my mare had some, only thing is that every time he works, he'll keep rubbing it. i couldn't use a breastplate (or martingale obv) on my mare for a few seasons because of hers.
there are all sorts of potions you can put on it. vaseline coated on to starve it of oxygen sometimes works, believe it or not, and at least will keep the area pliable etc. i have also used Aluspray on them with considerable success.
it won't move, but others may well erupt elsewhere, as the virus is in his system. he won't pass it on to other horses though, according to my vet. (i had my mare for about 12 years and none of my others, including her daughter, ever caught one.)
they are totally unpredictable. they can stay dormant for years, or get really aggressive and angry and multiply. removing them can eradicate them forever, or for a while, or send them into overdrive. there are many different types of sarcoid too... i'd want to know what type it is tbh. if it's a single one which will pop out (like a disgusting big spot) if pressure is applied, or if the skin on it is sliced a little to let it out, then i'd buy him, personally. i've dealt with those and they've not come back. if it's the verruca-type, over a large area and very bumpy and irregular, i'd be a lot more circumspect.
the best vet i've ever found for them is Chris Walker, fwiw. very good, very very experienced with them, very reasonable. he took all my mare's off a few times.

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
Sorry, but I would worry about the fact it is bleeding after exercise. The flies will be constatly at it through the summer.
I dont know how much you are paying for the horse but as Kerilli says the price should be reflected in this fact.
How are the vendors planning on treating it before the sale?
I should take the advice of the vet and get his opinion, he cannot fail the horse on the sarcoid but he will advise you.
smile.gif

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hi again and thanks for your comments.
The horse had the sarcoid (inbetween his front legs) when the current owner bought him four years ago but it was like a little wart. This summer it started to grow and is now like a golf ball with a neck hanging down. There is a chance the vet may 'tie it off'?
The horse is a 16.2hh 8year old middleweight gelding who is safe but green. They are asking 2000 euros (£1400) - we live in France so prices are normally lower here anyway.
It is the only sarcoid he has....

kerilli

Visit site
that type can be very simple, can just be pulled off sometimes - i've seen vets do this and done it lots of times myself. they can then go completely, or come back again. no way of knowing.
if it's between front legs bear in mind you may be unable to use a breastgirth or martingale if it's bad... i couldn't use either on my mare because of her sarcoids in armpit areas.
i'd buy him with it, if it's the only one, and get it tied off (or pull it off) and then smear the place with vaseline or wound cream 2 x daily until it heals, hopefully...

StellaArtois

Visit site
I bought a five year old gelding who had a five stage vetting where a sarcoid was missed. It took me £600 to get it removed by liverpool paste,(It needed two treatments, not the cost of the treatment but the amount of vets visits to put it on) which luckily the insurance company covered but after the year it was them excluded in the poilcy. He then got a couple more sarcoids which needed treatment.

So becareful sarcoids may not look much but if a vet noted them down your insurance company will not cover them.
I got a new mare who had a small lump which she has had from a foal, she is now eight and my insurance company has excluded all skin nodules. No one has ever claimed on this lump but the insurance company are wary maybe just because I have claimed.

Good luck

star

Visit site
i have just bought a 5yr old horse who was 5 stage vetted 10days ago and yesterday i noticed a sarcoid in his groin - i hadn't looked up there before as he's quite nervous and snaps his hindlegs up a bit quick, but he's more confident with me now, so i was giving him a good groom yesterday and noticed it - find it hard to believe it wasn't there on vetting and if it had been found it would have reduced his value so i'm understandably a bit peeved. yet to discover how much it's going to cost me to get it treated.

peanut

Visit site
My horse's first bobbly type of sarcoid (top inside of front leg)burst of it's own accord and there is no sign of it ever having been there.

A few months later I found a second one deep in her armpit which is not visible but is palpable. I've had her on Sarc-Ex for this once since last autumn and it has definitely reduced in size ... but maybe it would've without the Sarc-Ex - that's the trouble with sarcoids, they are so unpredictable.

StellaArtois

Visit site
I know how this feels. Watch your insurance cover as they normally dont cover these sort of things before 14days of a new policy.

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know how this feels. Watch your insurance cover as they normally dont cover these sort of things before 14days of a new policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks - i realise this. i will have to cover the cost of treatment myself unless i can get the vets who vetted him to chip in.

Jennypenny

Visit site
Hi, I once owned a mare that was the best horse I could ever dream to own. She was imported from France a selle francis. When I brought her at 5 she did not have a blemish on her. One year later a small sacroid appeared on her tummy. My vet advised me to leave it alone as sometimes messing around with them could possible make it worse, plus it did not bother her or caused any problems. Well over time a few more appeared on her hind legs and tummy. The vet tried to freeze some off, to which made it worse. We then tried the liverpool treatment cream, which I had to sign a disclaimer. My mare had side effects which was awful and the cream did not work. I spent well over £1k and had a lot of heartache At 9 years old and with advice of second vet I had to have my mare put down. This broke my heart and I have never got over losing this fantastic horse, Hence the tears rolling down my cheeks as I write this! I never regret buying that mare as she gave me the best rides ever and was my best friend. BUT I would never buy a horse that I knew had a sarcoid. I know many have them and are fine, but I would never want anyone to go through what I did and you are taking a risk. My mares sarcoids used to bleed too, so please beware
frown.gif

suzysparkle

Visit site
Mine has one. I could not have afforded him without. His was treated with Liverpool cream but is still there. It's inside his back leg and is flat. It doesnt bother him. He's been on sarc ex for last 3 months and it's not changed so I doubt I'll continue it.
If it's the only negative, and price is vastly reduced then I'd consider buying. My take was that mine could have developed one a few months after buying him.