Sarcoids, Tendons & Laser Treatment

Chocy

Visit site
My horse has a sarcoid on back leg where suspensory tendons is. Have had initial email report from vet school saying only way would be happy to treat would be to laser it but can't guarantee tendon won't b damaged. Should say initial report came from vet seeing picture of sarcoid horse is going to vet school in few weeks for consultation.

Just looking for anyones success or not storys regarding laser treament & if rhey'be had sarcoids over important structures

Spector

Visit site
I recently read that applying Crest toothpaste (or other brands with a high flouride content)will dry up sarcoids until they fall off,but it will take months. However,it is a cheap and non invasive treatment.

ruth83

Visit site
I recently read that applying Crest toothpaste (or other brands with a high flouride content)will dry up sarcoids until they fall off,but it will take months. However,it is a cheap and non invasive treatment.

Having recently been shown before and after pictures of a horse who had been 'treated' with toothpaste I would NEVER attempt it. The sarcoids grew and grew to a disgusting mess over the horses face leading to the horse having to be PTS.

lannerch

Visit site
There was an interesting article in the h@h where a vet said self treatment of sarcoids was on the increase, most were made far worse, there is no scientific evidence that toothpaste helps at all, and could agrivate the sarcoids. He suggested those that have claimed it works were among the lucky 10% that recover naturally. He said sarcoids are cancer would toothpaste on cancer and expect it to get better?

My horse had had sarcoids round the sheath area lasered off, they could not do them all, a few we're left however these have cleared up by themselves , so a total success .

Chocy

Visit site
For me the toothpaste is a No due to sarcoid being right on tendon i'm not going to muck about there!
Lannerch- the vet who's been quoted recently is the vet my horse will be seeing!
Just wanted 2 hopefully hear success storys & stop me worrying so much about damaging the tendon!

lannerch

Visit site
Very sensible . Laser has a very high success rate, my horse could have had all his sarcoids removed by laser, however not at the same time as the wound area would be too big, he was going to return when it gets a bot colder, so no flies however this no longer looks necessary .
The vet came and cleaned the area once and he was on antibiotics for a few days as a precaution. But it healed very well, as did another horse at the yard who had had sarcoids lasered with him .

figgy

Visit site
Hi, my boy had laser 4 weeks ago on his girth area, I must admit I couldn't believe how deep the laser went. I have taken pictures weekly and its amazing how it heals we are nearly there now. Again I would never mess around with these and try and self treat. Good luck xx

ruth83

Visit site
Incidentally, for those who are BHS members, there is a lecture by Professor Knottenbelt available to view in the members only area of the website. The lecture includes the pictures of the horse I referred to above - at around 58 minutes.