Sarcoids - Young gelding

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Zebe - what on earth does a candida infection (unless you are talkinga bout candidiasis which is completely different to the so-called candida overgrowth syndrome/SIBO) had to to with a cutaneous fungal infection?

Faracat, had your vet identified the specific mycosis? There are many systemic antifungals which are available for horses, and like human antifungals, they need to be continued for at least 30 days after apparent cure.

Casey76 I am puzzled why Faracat's vet has removed fungal growths from her horse twice before, and not prescribed a systemic fungicide. Do you think there is any reason for that, or is it an oversight, do you reckon? You sound like you know your fungi :) I hope you don't mind me asking this Faracat.

Casey76

Visit site
Hi faracat, I'm sure you've already googled, but the Merck Manual has some good information, pictures, and treatment options http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/g...infections/overview_of_fungal_infections.html

You may find that your vet will need to prescribe an antifungal off label (but drugs like itraconazole, voriconazole, terbinafine etc have been tested in horses, just not licensed). As with all fungal infections, it is important that treatment continues for long after the apparent symptoms have disappeared, to ensure complete eradication of the infection. Fungal infections tend to be pernicious.

Many apologies to Zebe for completely way-laying her original thread!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Lump one.
100_0113_zpsb2324b5a.jpg

It's hard to see as there are still a few hairs around the lump, but they are basically small, round and protrude above the level of the skin.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Yasandcrystal, so great to hear a positive story and amazing you had success with toothpaste! It must have killed the root for it not to have come back! What a relief for you. I did read about toothpaste, something to do with the fluoride!?
Do you feed her the tumeric everyday all year round? Did you try anything before the toothpaste?

I just used Aldi own brand toothpaste. I did give her a herbal sarcoid remedy made up by a local herbalist and then went onto the turmeric regime. I keep the mare on this all year as she also has ringbone in one fetlock. It only needs a handful of feed to give the turmeric, pepper and linseed.

Fun Times

Visit site
This thread has turned a bit scary so i almost daren't post this for fear of getting shot down but for those of us who don't have a wealth of experience with sarcoids i thought it worth mentioning that my friends horse recently had one lasered off. It was in her armpit area and therefore getting rubbed by the girth so they went for this option. It left a horrid looking hole to start with that had to be flushed clean daily but has healed beautifully. It was done about nine months ago and so far all looks well. Now no one have a go please!

Zebe

Visit site
This thread has turned a bit scary so i almost daren't post this for fear of getting shot down but for those of us who don't have a wealth of experience with sarcoids i thought it worth mentioning that my friends horse recently had one lasered off.

Hi Funtimes,

I know what you mean, i have resorted to Private Messaging. I think open-mindedness and empathy are the missing links with some people! There is NO one answer it is more than obvious!
Great news regarding your friends horse, thank you for your positive post.

Hi Yas, thank you for your comment, I joined the tumeric fbk page :)

Last edited:

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
People do have empathy and are open minded from what I have read on this thread - a lot of people with lots of different experiences have given you a lot of information. It does come across a little, rightly or wrongly, that you don't wish to listen to those recommending that you listen to your vet or send an email to professor knottenbelt.

You private messaged me asking for what I can only describe as veterinary advice because things haven't gone quite as you'd hoped. I sympathise with your situation as sarcoids are a pain in the backside, but they are not something to mess with as I think you have found out. You need to know what you are messing with before trying things which may do something or nothing.

Everyone's horses are different - some will respond in a particular way, some will get recurrences of sarcoids and some won't. At the end of the day, you have to tailor treatment to what appears to work for your horse - there may not be a one size fits all - but my first port of call would always be my vet.

I hope it sorts for you.

Zebe

Visit site
fine and dandy - You have actually just confirmed to me that some people do NOT have empathy! You are exactly that person. I would never dream of announcing on a public thread anything that someone had sent privately regarding a private matter. Why would you do that!! Yes reply back your opinion in a pm, but this is just beyond cruel. It's evil.

I didn't just write to you, i wrote to many others and have had some wonderful supportive advice and comments.

Since fine and dandy has made my private matter public i will explain what i wrote: Only 2 of the bigger nodules were slightly inflamed (before trying Thuja) and if anything appeared to be "improving!!" with Thuja 200c tablets!! which i have been giving him daily for a week. For the first time I put Thuja ointment on Yesterday and in the morning they appeared raw!

All I was asking was the question: "is this a normal reaction with Thuja "ointment"

A simple "yes or no" answer would have been sufficient. But Im guessing that fine and dandy has not tried "Thuja Ointment"

For those who care, the good new is that this evening they look much better!! YAY!

Fine and dandy - The lady who posted before you was worried to post, why do you think that was!! Too many strong narrow minded opinions. My pm repliers feel the same! There should be more open mindedness when dealing with something that does not have a cure. And P.S my vet is quite happy i am trying Thuja. She does not advice trying LP in the fly season!!!!!

If anyone is interested in any updates from my experiences with a horse with sarcoids please pm me because I don't wish to write on this thread anymore.

Big thank you to all kind posters with positive & helpful advice & information.

Zebe

Fun Times

Visit site
Good luck Zebe, I hope you find a solution that works for your horse. Not really sure why this thread has turned so awkward, i was enjoying learning stuff about sarcoids as thankfully have never had to deal with them first hand so I would like updates please if poss.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
fine and dandy - You have actually just confirmed to me that some people do NOT have empathy! You are exactly that person. I would never dream of announcing on a public thread anything that someone had sent privately regarding a private matter. Why would you do that!! Yes reply back your opinion in a pm, but this is just beyond cruel. It's evil.

I didn't just write to you, i wrote to many others and have had some wonderful supportive advice and comments.

Since fine and dandy has made my private matter public i will explain what i wrote: Only 2 of the bigger nodules were slightly inflamed (before trying Thuja) and if anything appeared to be "improving!!" with Thuja 200c tablets!! which i have been giving him daily for a week. For the first time I put Thuja ointment on Yesterday and in the morning they appeared raw!

All I was asking was the question: "is this a normal reaction with Thuja "ointment"

A simple "yes or no" answer would have been sufficient. But Im guessing that fine and dandy has not tried "Thuja Ointment"

For those who care, the good new is that this evening they look much better!! YAY!

Fine and dandy - The lady who posted before you was worried to post, why do you think that was!! Too many strong narrow minded opinions. My pm repliers feel the same! There should be more open mindedness when dealing with something that does not have a cure. And P.S my vet is quite happy i am trying Thuja. She does not advice trying LP in the fly season!!!!!

If anyone is interested in any updates from my experiences with a horse with sarcoids please pm me because I don't wish to write on this thread anymore.

Big thank you to all kind posters with positive & helpful advice & information.

Zebe

Actually I do. You are simply displaying your narrow mindedness. And why did you pm me? Because you have done a search of the forum and know I have used thuja tablets and ointment.

I posted that you had pm'd me because frankly it is concerning that because you are afraid of hearing things you don't want to hear, you'd rather pm people who have absolutely no knowledge of your circumstances or that of your horse's, because you chose not to divulge that information. This lead me to search for where your PM had come from and found this thread.

I empathise with your situation and wishes you well. I do the same now and as I said before, given they have changed, I would seek your vet's advice. Absolutely I agree that the fly season is not a great time for LP cream - I had the very same problem. But then given how some sarcoids can change if they have any kind of treatment, as your boy's appear to have now, sometimes the preference of when to treat has to be adapted. As I said before, i sympathise with you as they are a pain in the backside.

Last edited: