Sarcoids

Amazingchloe

Visit site
Hi there everyone, just wondering if anybody has been unlucky enough to have encountered sarcoids on their horse? if so how did u manage to get rid of them? thanks <font color="red"> </font>

nijinsky

www.xaraymax.co.uk
My new horse had 2 sarcoids, they were removed &amp; she takes 6 Tubbov homeopathic tablets daily &amp; 6 Thuja weekly, (spelling of these tablets may not be correct). No signs of them returning yet but can see the scar where they were removed.

Horse's ex-owner's vet said sarcoids are caused by injections, I don't know how true this is but would be interested to see other peoples views on that statement.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horse's ex-owner's vet said sarcoids are caused by injections, I don't know how true this is but would be interested to see other peoples views on that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whilst it may cause sarcoids although I have never heard that one before, it certainly is not the only cause! The latest theory is that they are caused by the horses inability to devlepe an immunity to the papilloma(sp) virus which causes warts in cows and is similar to other wart viruses, but nothing has been conclusivley proved yet as far as I know.

kerilli

Visit site
my old mare had loads, had them all her life (it was how i was able to afford her.) i used various potions, kept them at bay mostly. managed to get rid of some areas (huge ulcerated areas under her 'armpits', for e.g.)
the newmarket Bloodroot ointment is very good, but came along too late for her. a friend is using axle grease on them to starve them of oxygen (?!) and it seems to be working! it looks like camrosa and is a fraction of the price, obv.
homeopathics work on some, but didn't on that mare, unfortunately. the best vet in the country re: sarcoids is Alan Walker, he sorted my mare's out a few times.
they can only be caught by horses of an identical blood type, my vet told me.
it depends hugely which type of sarcoid your horse has. there are about 6 types iirc, from the easy type that is like a huge spot with a white solid core that can just be popped out (gross but satisfying) to the ulcerating, far more aggressive type.

muffinino

Visit site
Hi. My YM's horse had a couple of sarcoids, one on his breast area, just where the leg&amp;chest connect(difficult) and one on his sheath (ouch!). The vet gave her a cream that deprives the sarcoid of oxygen but she had to be very ccareful when applying it as it would kill off the air to the horse's fur too. She also had to wear gloves and wash her hands thoroughly after use. To help prevent the cream getting on his chest she smothered the surrounding area with Vaseline. Both sarcoids were big, especially the chest one, but both have now gone completely. Might be worth asking the vet about it, but I can't remember the name of the cream, sorry!

crabbymare

Visit site
I used Thuja for mine, it was drops that went in the feed so did not antagonise the sarcoids. They gradually shrunk and are now just patches of skin with no hair. As they don't show I'm not going to try and get the hair to grow as I don't want to push my luck!
I used it at 200 strength. You can get tincture that can be put directly onto the sarcid as well but I did not need that.

Amazingchloe

Visit site
thanks everyone im currently using thuja cream and giving her thuja tablets in her feed. I'm trying to avoid the toxic 'liverpool cream' as it seems abit nasty. They dont hurt her they just look gross and annoyingly they ate in a really awkward place, under her back quaters so its a case of avoiding being kicked when i put the thuja on. does anyone know how much bloodrot is? and do u get it from the vets? x

Stoxx

Visit site
My horse had them when I bought him, one patch in his arm pit on his off fore and in between both back legs. He was in a bit of a state really when I got him and once he'd filled out and was more healthy they all cleared up and he just has little area's of baldness where they are now!
smile.gif
I think I was lucky as my friend's horse is covered in them, poor boy, not that he's awfully bothered by them but they look horrid and when she compete's him he always gets pointed at and stared at.
frown.gif
She's tried alsorts of things but nothing seems to do an awful lot, his are the variety that grow and then pop off every now and then.

Amazingchloe

Visit site
yeh they are such a pain, i've got a beautiful tb mare who is fit and healthy but just has these horrible things. I called the vet out the first time she got one and they just popped it out, but now she has 2 and they dnt seem to be shifting. Can you get Tubbov homeopathic tablets from high street homeopath shops?

katie_and_toto

Visit site
My pony had one on his hindquarters, he had the Bloodroot cream and it dropped off and hasn't grown back *touch wood* Then we put Cornucresine on it to help the hair grow back. You can hardly tell it was there
grin.gif

hadfos

Visit site
Liverpool cream,fab stuff!!My boy didnt object to it been put on either and one small one was on his sheath,touch wood,they have gone and not come back after a year!!

Fiona

Visit site
Our grey mare had that type of sarcoid (the one with the pea sized white blob which popped out when squeezed). Gross but accurate, the vet did it not me though. Is this a "good" type then?? It hasn't started to regrow, and that was 2 months ago, so perhaps a good sign?
Fiona

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Mo developed the occult sarcoids (look like ringworm), a few weeks after having splint bone removed. I think her system was mucked up with the drugs. They actually cleared up &amp; we went up until last year with no further signs. Last year she went off to be covered, which involved plenty of injections etc &amp; by April the sarcoids had started to show again. This time round they have not disapeared &amp; she has now had one develope into what you would normally see as a sarcoid nr her teats. When I asked the vet, there seems to be a number of thoughts on this, immune system, virus etc. I have even heard someone say they can be carried by certain flies.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I got rid of a sarcoid with Camrosa. It was in the corner of my mare's eye.
I've seen one treated with copper sulphate; worked, but looked sore!
AND I've heard that tea tree oil works too.
I don't think any of these work particularly quickly though (except the copper sulphate)
Vicijp has got some amazing (and GROSS, yet fascinating) photos of a sarcoid coming off one of her horses with Liverpool Cream.

Sali

Visit site
Both mine arrived with sarcoids, the mother had one as big as my fist on her tummy.

Vet advised me to have them removed, but after discussing this with a few people I know whose horses had sarcoids removed I decided against it as the sarcoids had grown back.

I used aloe vera gel twice a day, soon got rid. Thankfully there is no scarring and no sign of them coming back.