sarcoids

pipsqueek

Visit site
I am going to look at a horse which has had a sarcoid removed (it was on her girth line). Does anyone know if these are likely to come back? The horse is 5 and seems right in every other way. Any advice please!

smiffyimp

Visit site
Theres no way to tell if they are going to return or not I'm afraid. My (then 3yo) now 6 has had Liverpool treatment on 2 lots (inner thigh) and they are gone and fingers crossed. Depends on the type of sarcoid. Hopefully, as the horse is young and they have been treated you would be in luck, but nobody will vouch for it and you wouldnt get insurance for any re-occuring sarcoids.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
How long ago was the sarcoid removed if she's only 5 now? The problem with sarcoids is that some dodgy lumps/patches LOOK like sarcoids but aren't. My vets advise that if something LOOKS like a sarcoid, then treat it as if it IS one. Some vets advise the opposite! Young horses commonly get juvenile warts before their immune systems are fully mature, though usually on the muzzle and warty lumps can sometimes look like sarcoids but are much easier to treat. Was the "sarcoid" treated by a vet or home treatment? Can you ask the owners for a bit more info? If it definitely was a sarcoid but it was some time ago and there are no signs of further sarcoids, then I'd chance it if the horse was exactly right. There is a link between flies and sarcoids - it's thought that flies are attracted to the raw areas, then transfer pieces of the virus that leads to a sarcoid to either other areas on the same horse or indeed to a different horse.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Theres no way to tell if they are going to return or not I'm afraid. My (then 3yo) now 6 has had Liverpool treatment on 2 lots (inner thigh) and they are gone and fingers crossed. Depends on the type of sarcoid. Hopefully, as the horse is young and they have been treated you would be in luck, but nobody will vouch for it and you wouldnt get insurance for any re-occuring sarcoids.

Thanks for that advice. I don't think it would put me off buying her if she turns out to be what I want :)

pipsqueek

Visit site
How long ago was the sarcoid removed if she's only 5 now? The problem with sarcoids is that some dodgy lumps/patches LOOK like sarcoids but aren't. My vets advise that if something LOOKS like a sarcoid, then treat it as if it IS one. Some vets advise the opposite! Young horses commonly get juvenile warts before their immune systems are fully mature, though usually on the muzzle and warty lumps can sometimes look like sarcoids but are much easier to treat. Was the "sarcoid" treated by a vet or home treatment? Can you ask the owners for a bit more info? If it definitely was a sarcoid but it was some time ago and there are no signs of further sarcoids, then I'd chance it if the horse was exactly right. There is a link between flies and sarcoids - it's thought that flies are attracted to the raw areas, then transfer pieces of the virus that leads to a sarcoid to either other areas on the same horse or indeed to a different horse.

She had it removed earlier in the summer by a vet (it was quite deep). I will get a bit more info when I go and see her anyway, thanks

Last edited:

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
I am going to look at a horse which has had a sarcoid removed (it was on her girth line). Does anyone know if these are likely to come back? The horse is 5 and seems right in every other way. Any advice please!

The only reason this would worry me is because of the location.

Once treated - even if there are no other lesions the horse is referred to as be "in remission" not "cured". They are always more predisposed to getting further sarcoids in either the same or another location. They don't always, but often do. Be very through in your search and be aware that sarcoids are often subtle, the occult type look just like a slightly hairless circular area - like an old ringworm lesion.

I vet a lot of horses and so find a lot of sarcoids. I certainly don't fail on the basis of them alone, UNLESS they are in the girth region, are causing obvious distress or the horse is for showing! ;) I reckon approximately 65-70% of the horses I vet will have one or more sarcoids. If you turned all of them down then you'd be looking a long time. You will carry an insurance exclusion and so fott the costs of any further treatment should it be necessary. If new ones occur resale may be an issue...and value of the horse may be affected.

It's more of a gamble but if it's removed and the area appears normal and there don't seem to be any others....probably worth it - as long as you understand what you're buying!!

Good luck,
Imogen

pipsqueek

Visit site
The only reason this would worry me is because of the location.

Once treated - even if there are no other lesions the horse is referred to as be "in remission" not "cured". They are always more predisposed to getting further sarcoids in either the same or another location. They don't always, but often do. Be very through in your search and be aware that sarcoids are often subtle, the occult type look just like a slightly hairless circular area - like an old ringworm lesion.

I vet a lot of horses and so find a lot of sarcoids. I certainly don't fail on the basis of them alone, UNLESS they are in the girth region, are causing obvious distress or the horse is for showing! ;) I reckon approximately 65-70% of the horses I vet will have one or more sarcoids. If you turned all of them down then you'd be looking a long time. You will carry an insurance exclusion and so fott the costs of any further treatment should it be necessary. If new ones occur resale may be an issue...and value of the horse may be affected.

It's more of a gamble but if it's removed and the area appears normal and there don't seem to be any others....probably worth it - as long as you understand what you're buying!!

Good luck,
Imogen

Thank you for that very helpful advice! Have not yet seen the horse but the owner (who I know) has indicated I could have her on trial before I purchase her..so time to look at her carefully. Still think she might be worth having though..my old horse has various things wrong with her but still does her job!!:)

thinlizzy

Visit site
My boy is going through treatment for sarcoids this week and next.I think if this is the right horse and you are aware and know what to look for and you are getting horse on loan ,i wouldnt let it put me off .I would take a long time and lots of miles to find a boy like mine again !No horse is perfect they will mostly have one health issue ,my vet had treated three for sarcoids before my boy on wednesday she says they are definatly on the increase and the link is genetic but yes watch those flies after treatment i intend to feed a herbal supplement after xmas i know a lot more now than i first did and as prev poster vet said more than half the horses he sees have them .Good luck ,wouldnt put me off x

pipsqueek

Visit site
My boy is going through treatment for sarcoids this week and next.I think if this is the right horse and you are aware and know what to look for and you are getting horse on loan ,i wouldnt let it put me off .I would take a long time and lots of miles to find a boy like mine again !No horse is perfect they will mostly have one health issue ,my vet had treated three for sarcoids before my boy on wednesday she says they are definatly on the increase and the link is genetic but yes watch those flies after treatment i intend to feed a herbal supplement after xmas i know a lot more now than i first did and as prev poster vet said more than half the horses he sees have them .Good luck ,wouldnt put me off x

Thanks! Will bear all this in mind when I look at her next weekend, she does sound ideal in every other way:)

Flyingbuck

Visit site
I reckon approximately 65-70% of the horses I vet will have one or more sarcoids.

That's very interesting , Imogen - I had no idea the figure would be so high, although I had heard they were on the increase.

pipsqueek - good luck in making your decision - and if you do buy her, that the sarcoids remain in remission.