Sarcoids

JB8645

Visit site
Anyone got any advise on Sarcoids? Have seen a horse To buy that had two small Sarcoids removed ( burnt off ) . Will it be prone to them now ? Any cures??

rhino

Visit site
Have a look here. Unfortunately there are no certainties about sarcoids, they vary from horse to horse.

You won't get insurance to cover sarcoids, and they can become expensive fairly quickly if they need treatment. They do have an effect on a horse's value too, so if you are still wanting to buy you should have some room to bargain. If you do buy, please take your vet's advice and don't start messing about with any over the counter remedies - you can do a lot of damage that way.

Personally sarcoids wouldn't rule out a horse entirely for me. My horse of a lifetime has had a couple of sarcoids but they have never caused any issues whatsoever. That is not always the case though.

JB8645

Visit site
Thank you ! Does it depend on each case ? Guessing some could get a couple in their life , then others could be affected badly . Guess that would be the gamble , and I don't really have the finances to pay out with then not being covered by insurance . The sarcoids have been removed and just bold patches There. Dealer did say she would take the horse back if they came back and got bad but we would then be attached to the horse !! Thanks for your advice anyway ! Much appreciated .

rhino

Visit site
Thank you ! Does it depend on each case ? Guessing some could get a couple in their life , then others could be affected badly.

Yes, that's pretty much it, and absolutely no way of telling. Mine has had 2, nodular type, both have fallen off by themselves (and yes I had them biopsied so they definitely were sarcoids). Nothing since, and that's 10 years plus now.

ecs

Visit site
Hi, i bred 2 horses they both developed a flat sarcoid on there muzzle i treated both of them with wartner ment for human worts they both dissappeared, my vet was amazed by this it was quick and simple thesarcoids started to shrink a week or so after first application it took 2/3 applications to get rid of them altogether they were about 1" by 1/2" so not small. The mares has been gone now for over 2 years the gelding well over a year. A friend usted it on a small round sarcoid on her horses sheath that also dissappeared fairly quickly.

springer1021

Visit site
Sarcoids are unpredictable and there's no cure, one of mine had one removed when she was 3 and has never had anymore appear (she's 8 years old now) but you never know with them.

Certainly wouldn't put me off a horse just because it had a couple removed.

somethingillremember

Visit site
I went to a lecture given by Prof Derek Knottenbelt , University of Liverpool on headshakers and sarcoids . get in touch with him or look on his website . He knows his stuff and Vets refer horses to him so well worth a call or look. Good Luck.

soulfull

Visit site
wouldn't put me off buying a horse so long as it wasn't huge or in an awkward area, in fact I just have. He is black and they are hidden so not easy to spot

my vet found them at vetting and he said he very rarely vets a horse that doesn't have one, especially Irish horse?? anyway he said I should still buy the horse as he is perfect in every other way :D

Yes I know they are now excluded but hey there is always something going wrong with horses