Sarcoids

blackrocksolitaire

Visit site
Does anyone know how quickly sarcoids develop? For example, could a horse go from being sarcoid free to having atleast 4 sarcoids, 2 of which are fairly large, in the space of 8 weeks?

leflynn

Visit site
Same bad news here, my boy had one above his eye that grew rapidly, conversly he also had some under his chin that went of their own accord and hardly grew at all

blackrocksolitaire

Visit site
I'm sat waiting for the vet to come now. Totally gutted as only had this horse five stage vetted just under 8 weeks ago :(
Nothing is ever straightforward with horses is it!

Lyssatra

Visit site
Unfortunatly the stress of changing homes often triggers them off.

That's interesting GS, i didn't know that.
My mare didn't handle the move from Ireland to Luxembourg that well and developed sarcoids while out here that she never had in Ireland. *knock-on-wood* they have been successfully treated with a course of injections from a sample and cream on one stickler - so far so good and they haven't come back.

Hope all goes well with the vet OP, as GS said lots of treatment options around now and horses do make full recoveries.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
there are alot of good treatments for it now a days - my lad has had his treated with Liverpool Cream with excellent results.

Sarcoids arent the end of the world but can be annoying if they keep popping up . Just keep an eye on him and check him all over regularly in case any others decide to appear.

debsey1

Visit site
I do agree with stress related sarcoids. My cob with his previous owner was always at different liveries he was never able to settle & consequently broke out in 5 of the 6 types of sarcoids. After months of treatment he healed, she sold him, I bought him and we haven't looked back. He is so chilled & happy now bless him

Gypley

Visit site
Intrigued by the idea of stress causing scarcoids. My mare spent about 7 years of her life on her own with nothing for company (makes me cry just thinking about it, but there was nothing i could do as she was owned by my step mum, ive now moved her to live with me where she is much happier, please dont judge!) While she was on her own ahe developed 3 types of scarcoid which may well have been from mental stress. Do you think theres a chance they could disappear as quickly and easily as they arrived if the horse is content?
An odd (and possibly stupid) question but none the less possibl, would you think?

Mamamia

Visit site
I agree that stress can trigger growth.

I bought my gelding with 4 sarcoids that had been pretty much dormant for several years. Once he'd moved home, they all increased in size. I tried Sarc Ex from Global Herbs as it boosts immune system, and they seem to be decreasing in size again.

Maybe try an immune boosting supplement and see if that helps?