Sarcoids

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi,

Am looking at a horse who has 3 v small Sarcoids on his sheath. I've never had any dealings of them.

What are your experiences?

My new mare has had sarcoids come up recently since her vetting 4 weeks ago . I was advised not to wait or try home treatments but to get the vet which I did yesterday. The vet took pictures and is sending them to Liverpool for the best creme for them.
Sarcoids often come up due to stress or moving to new home, like my first mare back in 1989, and were banded and never returned.

For this horse I would get a vet to check them, don't try any home remedies or such like, on them. My vet also was happy I was putting my mare or Sarc-ex.

The biggest problem is the flies so these need to be covered in creme etc, also a proper creme from the vet. Check with a vet before you decide or get the vet to advise if your doing a vetting.

Geek

Visit site
I always said that I wouldn't have a horse with sarcoids however I found the perfect horse - but he had a sarcoid. So far it's not caused me a moments grief and was a brilliant decision. I would expect it to be reflected in the price though...

junglefairy

Visit site
I bought horse with sarcoids a few months ago, the most concerning sarcoid being under the girth.

I Took a vets opinion before buying the horse. Vet advised horse was suitable for purchase and to wait until winter before treating. In the meantime I've been feeding global herbs sarc ex, and the sarcoids seem to be shrinking. I will continue to feed sarc ex with no other treatment unless they cause problems.

The vet mentioned a few points when assessing the horse:
- age, horse is 8 and so just past the high risk years for growth
- the sarcoids are small and the 3 least aggressive forms
- there were no signs of sarcoids on the face
- the horse was suitable in every other respect and was priced reasonably taking into account the sarcoids
- sarcoids are increasingly common

As another poster has said I would expect the price to reflect the fact that the horse has sarcoids, the amount would depend on the severity of the sarcoids and risk profile of horse.

googol

Visit site
I have one with a sarcoid. I can't remember if he had it when I bought him but I don't think he did. It's near his hock. Last summer he knocked it and it was gross and grew a bit as it closed over. It got a bit weepy a few weeks ago and attracted flies which tbh has been the biggest nightmare. What do people use to keep flies off? I don't want to treat it as I'm afraid of making it aggressive and it really isn't causing any issues