Sat in hospital feeling sorry for ones self

Supanova

Visit site
I think you should be applauded for taking all these comments on the chin as a lot of people would have got really defensive! As you say, you know there are areas for work and you are trying really hard to improve, in the end of the day thats all you can do.

My comments for what they are worth, are:
- You are a bit active in front of the fence on the last 2 strides, you kind of throw yourself and the horse at the fence which i am sure makes him chip in occasion. Try to sit quiet all the way in and let the jump come to you. Let the horse come up underneath you rather than folding to meet the fence. One tip which i found useful is that you should just stand up over a fence - really simple and seemed to stop me throwing myself over.
- The canter needs to be softer, bouncier and more supple - at the moment it is a bit hard (can't think of a better word) coming to the fence which i think makes it difficult for you to get the spot you want. I would work on this a lot on the flat. If you have a good canter, it really doesn't matter about the stride at this height and the horse has more ability to adjust.
- I agree with the others that you should perhaps reduce the fence height until you can jump rounds in a good rhythm and canter.
I think all of the above will help you to work on your position over the fence because it will make it all much easier!

Hope that helps a bit.

I hope you are feeling better!

Daytona

Visit site
I think you should be applauded for taking all these comments on the chin as a lot of people would have got really defensive! As you say, you know there are areas for work and you are trying really hard to improve, in the end of the day thats all you can do.

My comments for what they are worth, are:
- You are a bit active in front of the fence on the last 2 strides, you kind of throw yourself and the horse at the fence which i am sure makes him chip in occasion. Try to sit quiet all the way in and let the jump come to you. Let the horse come up underneath you rather than folding to meet the fence. One tip which i found useful is that you should just stand up over a fence - really simple and seemed to stop me throwing myself over.
- The canter needs to be softer, bouncier and more supple - at the moment it is a bit hard (can't think of a better word) coming to the fence which i think makes it difficult for you to get the spot you want. I would work on this a lot on the flat. If you have a good canter, it really doesn't matter about the stride at this height and the horse has more ability to adjust.
- I agree with the others that you should perhaps reduce the fence height until you can jump rounds in a good rhythm and canter.
I think all of the above will help you to work on your position over the fence because it will make it all much easier!

Hope that helps a bit.

I hope you are feeling better!

Yeah in my lesson other night - before I fell off lol instructor was telling me off for holding Ludo back to much blocking his canter then firing him at fence last couple strides which was he said making him throw un requied huge jumps which ultimately lead to me coming off

It's like I see the fence and try to suddenly chase him at it but when on him I don't feel me doing it but in the video I clearly can see me doing it

Then I Get to fence and hurl myself over it - poor horse lol

I just need to sit quiet, Ludo is not strong at all and quite responsive if I just sat there I think the fences would come nice to me, but I get over excited and it gets worse as they get bigger

I need to calm down...!!! And realise I'm not jumping. 1.50m

Supanova

Visit site
The positive thing is - it is possible to change it! I used to be just the same and with confidence and practice i have managed to stop doing it. So keep believing! I also think shifting your focus to the quality of the canter rather than the fence will help! My favourite saying is that showjumping is just dressage with fences in the way.

vam

Visit site
Sounds painful, hope you feel better soon.

As for the jumping you have got a similar position as I did/do. I’ve worked very hard to sort it and while it’s far from perfect I'm getting there and it’s more stable than it was.
Like you I used to feel like I was being jumped out, got ahead of his movement and would collapses on his neck. I have found lots of 2 point helped in walk, trot and canter.

Other things that have helped are shortening my stirrups, relaxing my knee and taking my weight down the back of my calves, if I put my heel down too much it just swings my leg forward and tips me back.

I’ve also noticed a huge difference since I changed my saddle, I know you say you had it made but it still might not quite be the right one. Since I have changed saddles I no longer tip all the time something like you I did all the time I rode.

I also found thinking butt back and arms forward helps you think about getting better position over a fence. Most of all look up, the more you look up the less you will collapse and get ahead of him and throw yourself up his neck, as I’ve often been told don’t look at the floor unless you want to end up there :eek: it helps that I have a horse that you can not under any circumstances look at the fence or he will look and hesitate and it then ruins the canter. I’ve found mine is much better the less I do, he then seems to launch me out the saddle the more I fiddle with the canter, especially over smaller stuff.
Lots of 2 point, grids, poles and small jumps to work on building your core strength as well as your leg and you will get there.

I know how it feels to have a horse that out strips you in the talent department and how much hard work it takes to step up. I find every time I meet him at a level he steps up again leaving wondering why I bother :eek:. That said I’ve learned loads and I'm sure I will get there eventually. :rolleyes:
Best of luck :)

Daytona

Visit site
Sounds painful, hope you feel better soon.

Other things that have helped are shortening my stirrups, relaxing my knee and taking my weight down the back of my calves, if I put my heel down too much it just swings my leg forward and tips me back.

I know how it feels to have a horse that out strips you in the talent department and how much hard work it takes to step up. I find every time I meet him at a level he steps up again leaving wondering why I bother :eek:. That said I’ve learned loads and I'm sure I will get there eventually. :rolleyes:
Best of luck :)

THANKS

that's a wee problem of mine, my left leg is weak and useless at times, after my initial accident on Ludo when I got him as a 4 year old, I lost some of my calf muscle , they had to cut it away, since then its never been the same and just feels weak and gets painful quite easily when I put it under strain , but I think I need to try and build the remaining muscle up , I struggle with left bend on Ludo for same reason, I think I'm putting my leg on but I'm barely tickling him lol

I will try to start putting weight into that calf, I think if I grin and bear it , it will improve, I've just avoided it up till now I think.

Yeah he Defo way more talented than me, but I hope one day we will be a good team and can get round some 1.20's - that's my dream for me ands him. I don't think I have the ability to go any higher than that, I think even to get to that height will take a lot of dedication and commitment from me,but I'm prepared to give it my all :D

Last edited:

vam

Visit site
THANKS

that's a wee problem of mine, my left leg is weak and useless at times, after my initial accident on Ludo when I got him as a 4 year old, I lost some of my calf muscle , they had to cut it away, since then its never been the same and just feels weak and gets painful quite easily when I put it under strain , but I think I need to try and build the remaining muscle up , I struggle with left bend on Ludo for same reason, I think I'm putting my leg on but I'm barely tickling him lol

I will try to start putting weight into that calf, I think if I grin and bear it , it will improve, I've just avoided it up till now I think.

Yeah he Defo way more talented than me, but I hope one day we will be a good team and can get round some 1.20's - that's my dream for me ands him. I don't think I have the ability to go any higher than that, I think even to get to that height will take a lot of dedication and commitment from me,but I'm prepared to give it my all :D

If you’re finding it difficult another things that works and might be a better place to start is to think about opening up your hips and keeping your knee away from the saddle. I started doing this first and it helped massively although i would sometimes forget and slip back to gripping with my knee. Oddly im far more aware im doing it since i started trying to pop my hips out :D
Once you build up your strength you will find it much easier to put the weight down you leg rather than in you heel. I've got a normal calf and found it hard to undo that habit so i really feel for you. Can you talk to a physio or someone to give you some exercises to do off the horse? That might help things a long and make things less painful when you ride.

That has always been my aim, to jump round a 1.20 without messing up. I've come to realise that isnt going to happen and my limits extend to 1.10 at most. Its not the height i simply don’t have the ability to jump more technical stuff. :( You sound like you’re going to bust a gut trying (not literary of course :eek:) so fingers crossed you get there. Just remember to have fun along the way :)

kerilli

Visit site
Like Geoff Billington you mean :D
Geoff Billington, as he pointed out (and in fact showed, by dropping to the floor and doing loads of press-ups in front of journalists) is NOT fat and unfit, he's just 'a funny shape'. He actually has pretty long skinny legs for a guy of his height. His barrel-chest is deceptive. He's not fat! Plus, let's not forget that he's got a fantastic eye for a stride, loads of feel, and great balance. Anyone who can play back and forth over a 4' fence while exaggeratedly aping other riders' styles for the crowd's amusement is not a bad jockey!
He should NOT be held up as an example of a rider who is not 'fit supple and trim' is what I mean. Nick Skelton and Tim Stockdale are in the same sort of mould. You just can't use riders of that calibre as an excuse for lesser riders to be out of shape!

OP, TarrSteps' advice is very good. I think you're being pushed out of your comfort zone somehow. You need to chat to your instructors and get the basics more sorted before jumping anything over 1m high imho. 1.05-1.10 is the point, as TS says, where you can't get away with it. Ludo is unlikely to throw a huge unseating jump over a small fence, too...

Parachute

Visit site
Oh my Goodness OP, Please take care of yourself!! :eek:
Can't really help much but just wanted to send you some *gentle* hugs and wish you a quick recovery!! :p

Daytona

Visit site
Thanks parachute I'm fine well will be in a few days. Just a tad battered and bruised, nothing new for me lol

Kerilli yes I think your right though I'm not being pushed mentally out my comfort zone height wise I think ability wise at the moment I maybe am. So for not gonna stick to BN, go for my 4 DC for the 2nd rounds later on

Can also do it the the 90cm amature classes too.

I was looking to move to NC by end of summer but I think that's running before I can walk. I'm gonna slow things down a little , I think instructors see ludo jumping and thing yeah he good to go up height but the numptey on his back needs to be ready too and clearly right now I'm not LOL

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ouch ouch ouch sorry to hear this :(. I'm not suggesting you don't wear it, but I found my BP made me tip forward as it sort of crushes my chest in and makes it hard I flex my lower back. It's an airowear outlyne and its not exactly restrictive but it was causing that issue for me so if I am wearing it I have to redouble efforts to stick chest out :eek:

Hope your leg improves very soon.

Daytona

Visit site
Ouch ouch ouch sorry to hear this :(. I'm not suggesting you don't wear it, but I found my BP made me tip forward as it sort of crushes my chest in and makes it hard I flex my lower back. It's an airowear outlyne and its not exactly restrictive but it was causing that issue for me so if I am wearing it I have to redouble efforts to stick chest out :eek:

Hope your leg improves very soon.

Just no way I'd consider not riding him with both my race safe and hit air jacket but I do agree they don't help my position , makes me tip forward but when I weigh up pros and cons , the benefits out way the negative

I do find it hard to sit up really straight but then I did before I wore one anyway so it would be good to blame the body protector but really the issue has been there for many moons lol

So I'd say its 90% me v 10% body protector :D

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Just no way I'd consider not riding him with both my race safe and hit air jacket but I do agree they don't help my position , makes me tip forward but when I weigh up pros and cons , the benefits out way the negative

I do find it hard to sit up really straight but then I did before I wore one anyway so it would be good to blame the body protector but really the issue has been there for many moons lol

So I'd say its 90% me v 10% body protector :D

Yes I know, I wouldn't want you to (and can I suggest adding a parachute :eek:)

I think you are on the right lines with doing more grids and smaller jumps anyway. :)