Saturday morning musing

chaps89

Visit site
I've been idly window shopping, as you do.
I keep seeing ad's where a nice all round type is described, then near the end there will be a sentence like 'would love to see them go to a showing home' or 'come to the conclusion another teenager should be having fun on him' etc.
I guess at the moment they're likely to be able to take their pick of potential buyers. But if you were looking and saw something like that, but weren't intending to show or weren't a teenager would you still get in touch? As a seller would you not sell to an otherwise good home if they weren't fulfilling those criteria?
I can understand it for a horse that needs a quiet rider as they're a sensitive soul or quite strong and more of a man's horse etc, but I'm a bit baffled by fairly normal all round types having a future home prescribed, is this now more of a thing or have I just not noticed it before?!
(Ps, if anyone would like to donate £5k and find a way to knock 16 years off my age to qualify as a teenager again please let me know ? )

Bernster

Visit site
I’d need a few more than 16 years knocking off my age! Mostly it wouldn’t put me off unless the rest of the wording didn’t seem to suggest it would do the job I wanted it to do.

Some are clear about not being a jumper, preferring a dressage home, not being competitive xc...that kind of thing is clear and ofc does exclude certain activities but that’s helpful info.

I now read between the lines and if it says it suits a teenager, I tend to interpret that as it’s too forward and sharp for me!

ETA what has put me off (although admittedly I’m only looking half heartedly) is ads where the owner seems tricky/narky!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Chaps, my current ride was destined for showing by owner breeder. As you know, she's not always an easy ride tho. I approached breeder with my old CV and stated I was looking exactly for this type and breeding but that I was no longer showing but busy doing RC things instead.
After checking me out, she agreed a deal as she thought that at least B would be doing things and hopefully an advert for her stud as a versatile pony.
Breeder and I are now good friends, she's had a good amount of enquiries about ponies since B has been doing stuff and now realises that better a good animal in a good home than not, or going to a showing home and potentially being sold on again, or being purchased for breeding and never really heard of again.

Before I got B I had also been looking at 15hh shp and whp types.

If the animal looks right for a purchasers needs, then it's worth going to see.

TGM

Visit site
When adverts are worded like that it is often a hidden clue to their strengths and weaknesses! So 'would love to see him in a showing home' might mean he is a good-looking animal whose jumping isn't reliable. Or 'would love to see her in a hunting home' might mean she is a bit nappy and jumps best in company! 'Would love another teenager to have fun with him' can indicate that it is a buzzy excitable ride that the young and brave might enjoy. However, the vendors don't want to limit their market too much by describing them as only suitable for those things, so are keeping their options open by describing them as general all-rounders!