save riding school horse??????????

tristar

Visit site
if what we read is true and many riding schools are to close, god help the horses.

just suggesting anyone wanting a horse to consider looking that direction or making enquiries if a school near you is in trouble, if they sold some they may be able to keep a few to start over later.

yes i know its not the time for visiting, and am aware of precautions etc, just putting it out there as an idea.

it must be some nightmare trying to fund the basic needs of a lot of horses and no income

AdorableAlice

Visit site

tristar

Visit site
a letter put out by tim downes, expresses the deep concerns regarding closure, its the sheer costs involved,

i saw it earlier but forgot where i saw it

yes i see that spring is not the same as going into winter, but with zero income.......

Riding Schools are businesses and most will be able to access the various schemes made available by the Government. https://www.gov.uk/government/colle...rt-for-businesses-during-coronavirus-covid-19

At this time of year the horses can be turned out. I would hope the businesses can get through the summer period. If problems persist into winter I would be more concerned.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
a letter put out by tim downes, expresses the deep concerns regarding closure, its the sheer costs involved,

i saw it earlier but forgot where i saw it

yes i see that spring is not the same as going into winter, but with zero income.......

Not quite zero income, the small business rate scheme provides 10k.

tristar

Visit site
Not quite zero income, the small business rate scheme provides 10k.

i meant zero income from lessons, due to social distancing and nonessential business activity closure, and the basic regular income from their normal activities

the letter includes several top riding schools inc pammy hutton

but 10k is a small amount in some of those businesses, i would imagine have big turnover in normal activity, to match their large outgoings

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is a tiny amount and there is no doubt many businesses will go to the wall, we are in desperate times. Many riding schools have aged horses and there may well be some tough decisions to be made.

A lot of schools have livery alongside them, but that again could see a decrease as people lose their jobs and can't keep their horses anymore. Very worrying times ahead.

Kat

Visit site
The one a relative of mine works at has launched a crowd funder to raise cash to help keep the ponies.

They have turned out but need to feed hay as the winter floods have played havoc with the fields. They can't make use of the furlough scheme as the staff are on reduced hours rather than not needed at all because the horses and ponies still need to be looked after.

They still have some income from livery but losing the income from lessons, competitions, the shop, the catering etc will be a massive blow.

It is very worrying, many businesses will fold but riding schools folding could lead to a welfare crisis. Riding school ponies aren't always saleable, and humane destruction costs money.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The one a relative of mine works at has launched a crowd funder to raise cash to help keep the ponies.

They have turned out but need to feed hay as the winter floods have played havoc with the fields. They can't make use of the furlough scheme as the staff are on reduced hours rather than not needed at all because the horses and ponies still need to be looked after.

They still have some income from livery but losing the income from lessons, competitions, the shop, the catering etc will be a massive blow.

It is very worrying, many businesses will fold but riding schools folding could lead to a welfare crisis. Riding school ponies aren't always saleable, and humane destruction costs money.

The premises can and should apply for the NNDR grant. I don't think we should assume that riding school owners would allow a welfare issue to happen.

Kat

Visit site
The premises can and should apply for the NNDR grant. I don't think we should assume that riding school owners would allow a welfare issue to happen.

I am not suggesting that the owners of this or any other riding school would allow a welfare issue to arise. However if they can't pay their bills the animals become assets of the business liable to be sold to meet liabilities.

tristar

Visit site
I am not suggesting that the owners of this or any other riding school would allow a welfare issue to arise. However if they can't pay their bills the animals become assets of the business liable to be sold to meet liabilities.

yes its more complex the more you think about it.

rates and business finance could be put on hold to allow the business to continue at a future date, should be a government initiative if not there already to allow them to pick the up strings in say 3 to 6 months

AdorableAlice

Visit site

One would hope that the few preferential creditors would not be looking to liquidate businesses in these unprecedented times we are in at the moment.

Snowfilly

Visit site
My local school is being quite proactive and asking people to sponsor a pony, running online kids quizzes and things with a small entry fee, and also asking people to take a spare pony over the summer if they can!

They’re lucky in that they’ve got lots of turnout and have managed to strip shoes off and turn everything away so minimal work needed. The problem will be if it goes on too long, everyone’s going to be unfit and out of shape and not ready to go back to full hack and lesson work.

I also wonder just how valuable a lot of RS horses and ponies would be if resold as an ‘asset’? One, no-one’s really buying at the moment so horse prices are low, and two, a lot of schools have older or just not flashy / competition level horses.

The local one has four 25+ ponies who still do half hour lead rein walk outs a couple of times a week. I shouldn’t think they’ve got a monetary value!

The 14.2 cobs used for jumping and hacking would sell easily enough, but probably not the 12.2 lesson ponies who aren’t whizzy enough for PC.

Horrible situation for all RS owners, like so many other business owners.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thing is horses need constant care, its not like moth balling a fleet of trucks, where you can Sorn them, put them on fire and theft insurance, and as such VOR them to stop them requiring PMI inspections and furlough the staff. The trucks don't need a tank of diesel a day if they are not running.

Its a pity but you can't take the shoes off and put them under a cover until this blows over. Many riding schools just do not have the land to turn them all out even if they could and were relying on all the Easter holidays to bump up their funds. I do expect a few without livery to supplement their incomes will go to the wall, but I also think that there is going to be a huge amount of animal welfare cases in the next few weeks and months, and tbh I think some one horse owners will end up with none and some multi horse owners may have to reduce their numbers or decisions that may have been due to be made at the end of the summer may be pulled forward.

Their are going to be some hearts breaking this year, and that's for sure.

Visit site
My local school is being quite proactive and asking people to sponsor a pony, running online kids quizzes and things with a small entry fee, and also asking people to take a spare pony over the summer if they can!

They’re lucky in that they’ve got lots of turnout and have managed to strip shoes off and turn everything away so minimal work needed. The problem will be if it goes on too long, everyone’s going to be unfit and out of shape and not ready to go back to full hack and lesson work.

I also wonder just how valuable a lot of RS horses and ponies would be if resold as an ‘asset’? One, no-one’s really buying at the moment so horse prices are low, and two, a lot of schools have older or just not flashy / competition level horses.

The local one has four 25+ ponies who still do half hour lead rein walk outs a couple of times a week. I shouldn’t think they’ve got a monetary value!

The 14.2 cobs used for jumping and hacking would sell easily enough, but probably not the 12.2 lesson ponies who aren’t whizzy enough for PC.

Horrible situation for all RS owners, like so many other business owners.
But on the plus side, a lot of rs ponies have quite the fan base amongst clients (or at least they do at my local). So could be sold to loving homes easily even for not much money

tristar

Visit site
One would hope that the few preferential creditors would not be looking to liquidate businesses in these unprecedented times we are in at the moment.
Thing is horses need constant care, its not like moth balling a fleet of trucks, where you can Sorn them, put them on fire and theft insurance, and as such VOR them to stop them requiring PMI inspections and furlough the staff. The trucks don't need a tank of diesel a day if they are not running.

Its a pity but you can't take the shoes off and put them under a cover until this blows over. Many riding schools just do not have the land to turn them all out even if they could and were relying on all the Easter holidays to bump up their funds. I do expect a few without livery to supplement their incomes will go to the wall, but I also think that there is going to be a huge amount of animal welfare cases in the next few weeks and months, and tbh I think some one horse owners will end up with none and some multi horse owners may have to reduce their numbers or decisions that may have been due to be made at the end of the summer may be pulled forward.

Their are going to be some hearts breaking this year, and that's for sure.

thats the biggest issue, its not like closing the doors to a cafe

its all the ongoing daily care, feed, vet, farrier dentist costs for say 5 to 30 horses

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The RS types I know don't need too much land, less is often better for them as many are lami prone.

That is probably true, but then its like many things isn't it, if finances are tight then the first thing that is going to give is riding lessons isn't it, I mean what is the cost these days in your area for a lesson ? a riding school by me charges £31 for a 30 min private lesson at off peak and £37 for 30 mins at peak, and for group the price for an hour is between £29 and £39 depending on the time.

tristar

Visit site
i only had one lesson in my life, it was 50 pounds private with a FBHS, about a hundred years ago, the only thing i learned was that a beautiful and well trained horse can still be very crooked, it taught me the importance of training the young horse to be straight before advancing

Gingerwitch

Visit site
i only had one lesson in my life, it was 50 pounds private with a FBHS, about a hundred years ago, the only thing i learned was that a beautiful and well trained horse can still be very crooked, it taught me the importance of training the young horse to be straight before advancing

That made me laugh !

I once went on a two week riding holiday and pretty much ended up re-schooling one of their ponies, they asked me if i wanted to book again the following year and i asked them how much they were going to pay me lol, by the time we had finished he was hacking out alone, popping a small course and went through water, and none of it was done with force. Wish I had brought him home :(

teapot

Visit site
Even if you have all your horses out 24/7 the outgoings are still huge! Far more than people will ever realise. I did the maths on how much money we have lost being shut for the two weeks of Easter hols, I wanted to cry, and that was on top of our usual lesson revenue too. It really really isn't as simple as just chucking horses out and hoping for the best.

I also know how much another centre has of my money just 'sitting' rather than being used for training, It's three figures, and I'll be one of many.