Scabby knees- wits end!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
mine had a long term problem with "mud fever" infections. i took the long approach, which included looking at the diet now on general vitamins, brewers yeast, linseed and rose hips mix in with chaff no alfa A. to treat the infection/inflammation which was very similar to what your knees looked liked.

first surgical iodine scrub, (with out detergent) cheap from boots also known as povadine applied once a day, no picking no washing. this gradually cleared up the infection, i also treat 1-2 weeks with a sheep foot rot spray (purple but not purple spray)

by feeding from within and not washing to much i have gradually cleared this up. still on the supplements and also in the winter i now apply udder cream with a little bit of sulphur in it as a barrier. but no washing etc, i even don't wash the legs if i am giving a bath..
it was a long process but it seems to be working

scrat

Visit site
I think that vets are very quick to blame this condition on mites when it is just somthing that cobs and heavy types have. Trying to get rid of it completely will just make it worse. Washing hairy legs saturates the skin and leaves it open to other problems. Creams such as sudocrem will soften, help to heal as it is antiseptic and keep flies and mud off. Also give this time to work as there is no use forcing scabs off as they are there while new tissue develops. I know with mud fever you are encouraged to remove scabs as they harbour bacteria but this is not the same.

saddlesore

Visit site
Ok thanks all, I will leave dry and try that :-( I have no proof that it is mites, just vets opinion and dectomax helps hugely. However I've never seen him bite or stamp.

EricJ

New User
Visit site
Ok thanks all, I will leave dry and try that :-( I have no proof that it is mites, just vets opinion and dectomax helps hugely. However I've never seen him bite or stamp.

My large native pony has always had scabby knees and I have found that keeping the back of the legs clipped and applying tea tree ointment quite thickly keeps it under control.