Scabby knees?

StarFell

Visit site
The backs of my pony's knees are quite scabby, does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? They're like flaky white scabs that stick to the hair, and they're just in a small patch behind each knee. They're not sore to touch, aren't red or weeping underneath, and they don't seem to be itchy at all; he has a lot of feather starting at his knees and he hasn't rubbed any of it out
confused.gif
confused.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Franks tend to go like this occasionally and I noticed his had started flaking yesterday, he is feathery there too. His tends to be once he gets a bit hairer there and when he has been sweaty/worked.

I wack some sudocrem on the same as I do with all of his other scabby bits *rolls eyes*- hardy cob honest
grin.gif

StarFell

Visit site
Thinking about it, Star's have got worse since his winter coat started coming through and his legs got hairier. I never thought of Sudocrem, I'll give that a go! Thank you
smile.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
they come and go, they are also worse when he has had xc boots on. They never seem to get to the point of soreness or irritate him so I dont worry too much he can get simlar on the white bits of his 2 white legs behind- as I said hardy cob, I have given up worrying about his scabbiness to a certain extent
tongue.gif

I boot him as little as I can get away with.

kirstie

Visit site
Its a really common condition for cobby types. It's normally just a build up of dead skin, which it probably is, or can sometimes be caused by mites.
The best thing to do is wash with dilute hibiscrub, dry and then slap on some sudocreme/ udder cream. It's a continual thing, will probably need cream everyday at first, hibiscrubbing every few days. As it eases off, do less.
It can flair up when the legs get wet, so its important to clean, dry and cream them then as it can start to get a bit sore of left damp and manky.