Scabs on back started bleeding

katemccors612

Visit site
Hello all, my horse has had scabs on the top of his back/bottom of his mane for a long time but they have never caused any problems and he's got a vest to stop his rugs from rubbing him as well. Today i turned him in and took off his rug and bib to find at the top of his back where his mane ends there was a cut the size of a fifty pence coin where his scabs used to be. I don't want to ring out the vet for such a small thing but not sure what to do, usually i rub aloe vera gelly on his scabs every day but i don't want to risk putting anything on an open wound. Any suggestions please?

TheMule

Visit site
What is causing the scabs? You need the answer to this before solving the problem. I certainly wouldn't be rugging him whilst he has an open wound there, you,re best just to keep it clean and let it heal over itself

katemccors612

Visit site
What is causing the scabs? You need the answer to this before solving the problem. I certainly wouldn't be rugging him whilst he has an open wound there, you,re best just to keep it clean and let it heal over itself
His rugs, I'm pretty sure of this. We have got him an anti-rub vest but it doesn't seem to be helping. Have left him unrugged tonight to help it heal

MrsNorris

Visit site
If it is his rugs, you really need to get him some that fit a bit better, he must be very uncomfortable if they're causing that amount of damage.

Fides

Visit site
Have you considered that he might be too warm and it is sweat scald. Try leaving him unrugged to allow the skin to breathe a bit.

katemccors612

Visit site
He is left unrugged now. It was only his lightweight turn out rug which we put on because it was a bit chilly. Wound has been cleaned out and an antiseptic cream has been applied.

katemccors612

Visit site
Have you considered that he might be too warm and it is sweat scald. Try leaving him unrugged to allow the skin to breathe a bit.
He is left unrugged now. It was only his lightweight turn out rug which we put on because it was a bit chilly. Wound has been cleaned out and an antiseptic cream has been applied.

Moomin1

Visit site

Sounds like the best thing to do for now. :)

I would try and leave the rug off - being a bit chilly doesn't mean they have to be rugged. Far too many people these days rug at the drop of a pin, and it can cause all sorts of issues.

STRIKER

Visit site
Do wash the underrug for fear of reinfestation of bacteria when you put them back on, but do go on ebay and buy rugs that fit him, its just so uncomfortable to them and to make a wound well thats actually disgusting it also means you have not taken that rug off for days........

katemccors612

Visit site
Do wash the underrug for fear of reinfestation of bacteria when you put them back on, but do go on ebay and buy rugs that fit him, its just so uncomfortable to them and to make a wound well thats actually disgusting it also means you have not taken that rug off for days........

Yes i have washed his summer sheets and winter rugs, and his turnout already. He was left unrugged recently and he was turned out in a lightweight for 2 hours. No need to be so accusatory.

UPDATE vet was down the yard today and i asked her if she could have a quick look, she said there is nothing to worry about there is no infection and it has healed up. It was more of a scratch rather then a 'wound' as such and she told me to carry on with the routine of cleaning it everyday and not to worry at all.

katemccors612

Visit site
Sounds like the best thing to do for now. :)

I would try and leave the rug off - being a bit chilly doesn't mean they have to be rugged. Far too many people these days rug at the drop of a pin, and it can cause all sorts of issues.
at the yard they always turn out the horses in their lightweights when they feel it's 'cool' so when i come down to turn in i usually find him rugged, and he does roll a lot when he's out. I have told them not to rug him up at all now :)

UPDATE vet was down the yard today and i asked her if she could have a quick look, she said there is nothing to worry about there is no infection and it has healed up. It was more of a scratch rather then a 'wound' as such and she told me to carry on with the routine of cleaning it everyday and not to worry at all.

katemccors612

Visit site

Moomin1

Visit site
Sounds like bad management at your yard. Unfortunately far too common these days and it riles me something chronic.

Though it sounds like you have taken the right steps and are going to from now on so good on you!! :)