Scabs on back

SueAllen

Visit site
Recently discovered some scabby areas on my Ned's back. Kept an eye on them and left them to grow out. However, someone more knowledgeable than I (not difficult!) picked them off today and they are infected!! Should I have picked them off straight away as soon as I found them? I have been told to wash the inflamed areas with hibiscrub and if no improvement after the weekend then involve the vet. Anyone got any other comments on how I should treat them Not sure how they got there. Possibly dirt and sweat under saddle? Or rubbing numnah?

Tia

Visit site
Sounds like rainrash to me. I personally would never use Hibiscrub on them - it can really burn open wounds unless it is very dilute and is rinsed off thoroughly. I'd use Protocon - smother it on, then the following day the scabs will just roll off if you rub the area gently.

Air kills this bacteria, so after the scabs are off, comb the hair backwards to allow as much oxygen in as possible.

Another product which destroys this bacteria in a matter of days is MTG by Shapleys, but you have to order it from North America. I use this and it is by far the best product on the market in my opinion.

Good luck.

vickers22

Visit site
yeah my tb had it last year-rain scald. fortunately we caught his early, and the scabs just came of. Mine was due to exposure against the rain, so make sure he is nice and dry. It can be due to a build up of sweat or 'smegma'.Hibiscrub is the best thing for it. You can also get descabber stuff which softens the scabs so they are easy to pull off and it doesnt hurt the horse(imagen having scabs on yourself being pulled off!)

SueAllen

Visit site
I'm not sure it is rain scald (although I have never seen it) as he has not been out in the rain. He has however, spent a lot of time out hunting getting sweaty and the treeless saddle I use moves quite a bit and has possibly ground in the sweat and dirt a bit much. Also one of my numnahs has seams on it and whilst I try not to use it I sometimes have to when the other is in the wash.

What is Protocon? Available in the UK do you think?

The scabs are in the unclipped saddle patch area and I have been advised to take it all off (avoiding the scabs obviously) This sound about right?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The scabs are in the unclipped saddle patch area and I have been advised to take it all off (avoiding the scabs obviously) This sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]
My vet always recommends to take the saddle patch off.

Sounds as if the whole area could do with a good clean. The problem may well have arrisen from not having the sweat cleaned off properly after hunting.

Personally I'd clip the area, wash thoroughly and daily with hibiscrub. Invest in a good sheepskin numnah, and make sure all sweat is washed off after excercise.

SueAllen

Visit site
Thanks for that. You could well be right. Because I have never had a problem like this before I probably haven't been as diligent about cleaning the patch as I should be (hangs head in shame) Usually give it a sponging down but that's obviously not enough. I do make sure numnah is washed and clean on each time for hunting. I do have a good sheepskin numnah have just bought a new saddle so think I will get another - then there will always be a clean one.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Its hard to keep clean with a full coat there, especially with cold weather etc... hence I always clip my horses off, well at least for the 1st two clips anyway, sometimes do a blanket clip for final clip, if very cold.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Could well be rainscald; PF got it very mildly the first summer she was out here due to the humidity. Also she arrived with her autumn coat which meant she sweated rather alot. I bathed her with diluted bleach and kept her in the shade (the sun deactivates the bleach). Cleared up in nanoseconds!! If you're not keen on trying the 3rd world approach (and want your jeans to stay their original colour!) Pevidone works really well too
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
I have had very good results with shampooing with an anti dandruff shampoo in the past to stop any bacterial infection..not Head and Shoulders, but the kind you have to whisper to the pharmacist for..make sure you get the area really dry after rinsing

Tia

Visit site
Protocon is made by Hydrophane so you can get it at most countrystores in England.

Clipping the area would be the best thing to do, however I think you need to get the scabs off before you start as these will pull and hurt the horse. They do become very sensitive to you pulling them off.

Once the scabs have stopped weeping then using a dilute solution of Hibiscrub will help. Each to their own, but having used (even dilute) Hibiscrub when I have had an open cut on my hands.....ouch!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I have had very good results with shampooing with an anti dandruff shampoo in the past to stop any bacterial infection..not Head and Shoulders, but the kind you have to whisper to the pharmacist for..make sure you get the area really dry after rinsing

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif