Scared of my youngster.. help

tristar

Visit site
if my youngsters act up, i give them a good shake, look to see if its anything i have done, or if its too much food or grass, then shake them and say oiy don`t stand on me, bite me, small dab on nose, stand well back while they do things like rear and stamp, and use a stick to stop them running round me, by blccking then start with leading nicely into trot and back, but whilst some of its manners some of its energy, and they are young its only natural!

i always do lunging and long reining games with them, walking out on the road where safe, you need a good assistant to start l reining and maybe lunging, only in small sessions, poles on ground popping small jumps, and i never ever take it seriously, to start, fun relaxation and learning through play its done for fun, ignoring the tangles or difficult moments, but i do have a plan and concentrate 1000 per cent, if you try you might find it works or not, go away and think then try again,you may be surprised sometimes they need to be thinking about something interesting

i think bonding comes when they enjoy being with you, because they respect you and the efforts to show them the way to go on, i bond very strongly with some horses, that wonderful feeling is when you know that THEY won`t let YOU down is what i look for, you teach them what you want then they take pride in showing you how good they can be.

try not to over think about what goes wrong, think about what you want to happen and go for it

don`t forget the polos, put in bucket

GTRJazz

Visit site
My friend breed three foals he would wear a body protector hat to lead out to the field but still ended up kicked and hurt many times. In the end he just left them out in the field un handled. However they all turned out to be very nice horses under saddle , one had a write up about her in a magazine after winning at high level. Although the owner did say she was hard work and on the ground, and feisty sometimes which made me smile.

Muckymummy

Visit site
Firstly under no circumstance can you let a horse turn in and charge at u... If they do this u make yourself big and scary to the point where they think I have lost the plot... It has happened to me once and I lost it and never again... My new 2 year old tried to bite me the other day same thing lost it... I Didnt hit her just went mental and the others I have were like wtf have u done to mum?! No bitting no kicking no charging under absolutely no circumstances! U need to think of them like kids really they just need very clear boundaries lines he very clear with what's ok and what's not... I'm currently battling with an unhandled 2 year old Irish draught so I know your pain breathe. Make a list of things you want them to be able to do and work towards do each one breaking each one down by step by step. I don't like forcing a horse to do anything so I will be slower than others but mine will be reliable and happy to oblige normally as a result