Scared of the hose?

Arizahn

Visit site
What causes a horse to be afraid of having its legs hosed down?
Our yard routine involves rinsing lower legs and hooves when bringing in. Ali is afraid of having water sprayed on her. She is fine with the hose when it's off or not pointed at her but hates it even being sprayed near her hooves/legs:confused:
We have got her used to having the front legs done but once we get to the hind legs she gets this look of fear - she lays her ears back and walks backwards away from the hose. If that doesn't work, she starts dancing on the spot - lifting whatever hoof we are trying to rinse.
I sometimes wonder if it's the cold water. I suppose it's probably just one of those bad habits that takes time and consistency to resolve.

Any tips welcome. Should we keep at it or dry muddy legs with towel and brush out instead? Yes, I have resorted to this once or twice - took longer but she was calm. Only thing is YO says that she should be used to having her legs hosed by her age (10).
Oh the joy of mucky fields, eh?

Arizahn

Visit site
I was afraid of that, lol! Ah well. She is better than she was when we got her, and it's only been two months:eek:
I sometimes worry that I am too patient with her but I don't want to be impatient and end up ruining her, if that makes any sense? I was advised that Arabs need to be handled gently but firmly and I'm trying to stick to that. She is definitely a sensitive sort!

dressagedreamer

Visit site
I was afraid of that, lol! Ah well. She is better than she was when we got her, and it's only been two months:eek:
I sometimes worry that I am too patient with her but I don't want to be impatient and end up ruining her, if that makes any sense? I was advised that Arabs need to be handled gently but firmly and I'm trying to stick to that. She is definitely a sensitive sort!

totally understand, I just carry on and pretend nothing is happening, I just ask them to stand still if the don't I just carry on telling them it is going to happen and they are going to have to deal with it, so I sort of ignore their little test LOL

lovinyourwork

Visit site
It took me months to get my 2 yo to stand for hose and we still have a song and dance every time now, think he just doesnt like the sensation.

Zimzim

Visit site
Completly sympathise with you!!!

I have a 3 year old, who I got in september, he had never had his feet hosed before and he just runs backwards and nearly sits down just to get away from it. However I dont think its actually the hosepipe thats the problem its the water that comes out of it as he will happily walk over the pipe when the water isnt on without a care in the world. Hes very very sensitive so if he has any cuts or wounds etc he is a complete drama queen!!!

At the moment I just use a bucket of water, sponge/ brush and towel to get the mud off and he doesnt seem bothered about this. It takes time and eventually he'll get youst to it.

Last edited:

hobnob

Visit site
Hmm, well I dont have my own horse but Im currently doing a college course and go to a local yard. We rotate horses and currently I have a 5 year old pony to ride and care for. She does take the mick sometimes, and also she does occasionally struggle with understanding what's being asked of her. I may not be that experienced with horses but I take a calm, patient but firm approach with her and I'm proud to say that yesterday she behaved impeccably when ridden for the first time with me :D

Anyway, she's a little funny with the hose so I was just trying to calm her down and do it with no fuss so as not to make a big deal out of it. This old woman comes over (not a lecturer or anything, in fact she's quite a busybody, you probably know the sort?!), grabs the reins off me (pony was in a bridle), and starts yanking on her mouth, wrapping the reins around her nose and to be honest wound her up a lot more! This is going to help her in the long run IMO :confused: What's the right way to go about things?!

Fellewell

Visit site
I wouldn't brush wet legs personally, any scratches is asking for mud fever IMO. I start with a gentle trickle on their feet just to get them accustomed to the hose being near their legs. Lots of 'stand up' and 'good girl'. When they stand nicely remove the hose. Do this over time and gradually build up the pressure. If you're rushed just brush mud off hooves with bucket and brush and brush legs when dry:)

Brandy

Visit site
Have you tried using a bucket of water and brush/sponge? That way the water isn;t a constant stream p this is what i did with my hysterical welsh, and he quickly got to the stage where I could hose - started hose with just a trickle and now I can power hose him if I wish!! I also give treats for being good.....;)

Tickles

Visit site
Options
1) Scratch the hosing idea. Some people prefer to leave the horse to dry off with muddy legs then brush off if required as they think it reduces the chances of mud fever (I’m a sharer not an owner so do whatever the owner in question prefers.)
2) Get horse used to it by either
(a) The ‘no-big deal we just get on with it’ approach (benefit: quick day-to-day; draw-back: likely to upset horse short-term)
(b) The ‘softly-softly’ desensitising approach where you reward horse with praise/treats/clicker training for standing near the hose, then for having the hose turned on, then for a small splash on hoof etc, etc (benefit: horse begins to see hosing area as positive; draw-back: takes more time and you have to accept horse may not get all feet hosed on first few days)
(c) The ‘I’m in charge and don’t give a d*mn’ approach (as per the lady yanking on the horse’s mouth – personally I wouldn’t think this is conducive to a good relationship with a switched on horse long-term)

Beware though… I went softly-softly with one who didn’t like putting feet in puddles and ended up not being able to get him out as we had so much fun splashing! Having said that he never really liked hosing in winter, summer was a different story, they do feel the cold.

If your horse is on livery (sounds like it?) then I’d be happy for the staff to take approach (a) (but not (c)) while I faffed around with (b) at the weekends or whenever I was there.

Age doesn’t matter, anything can be new/scary if you haven’t had a positive experience of it before.

Arizahn

Visit site
Thanks all!
We are going with the patient but firm approach. And treats when she is calm. I don't brush her legs when they are wet; I dry them off as best I can and then brush out the following morning.
I have a collection of old towels and sponges just for her legs and hooves, lol! So happy today though - the mud fever is finally gone:) And she stood perfectly for three of her hooves. Getting there gradually...

LouS

Visit site
I had a mare that used to fly backwards out of the wash box. I put a rope halter on, put a long line on brought her in and put the hose on every day, she would fly out backwards several times and run to the end of the line but I'd keep persisting until she came back in. Took maybe a few weeks of doing that every day (it was summer luckily!) and now I can just tie her up and do it, she dances about a bit but she definitely doesn't pull. Just be persistent and don't turn it off when she starts moving otherwise they figure out moving away=hose turning off, not what you want.

Just stay calm and be persistent. They soon accept it.