Scariest thing you have heard a person say that owns horses

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Said by a BHS trained person .. no he does not get fed (a wintered out TB) as he does not earn his keep, ....... from then on I took her advice and only fed my boy on the days I rode him, this worked well until I came back after a long weekend n Duabai to find he had expired, .... horses!

binkymerlin

Visit site
Said by a BHS trained person .. no he does not get fed (a wintered out TB) as he does not earn his keep, ....... from then on I took her advice and only fed my boy on the days I rode him, this worked well until I came back after a long weekend n Duabai to find he had expired, .... horses!

:eek::eek::eek:

My one is 'if you keep training my youngster he is going to like you better than us'

yawn!

a pony with cronic lami 'ride her thru it she will be fine and come sound'

lol some crackers on here :)

Javabb94

Visit site
so what feed is he on? - "he gets a bucketfull of carrots every day":eek:

does he get hay in the winter?(this was when there was 2 ft of snow) - "no he will have to rummage through the snow to get to the grass":eek:

"i dont believe breeds from other countries should be allowed in Britain, they should stay in their own countries" - says the girl who has a cob - doesnt she realise that most cobs have a bit of everything in and that welsh's are descended from arabs:eek:

all by the same person :/

lexiedhb

Visit site
I think the girl on here who was feeding her horse acorns was a pretty good one.

"she is a good kids pony", "um no she is not- she has just stood straight up with your daughter" "well she wouldnt do it with me" "hence she is NOT a good kids pony"

badgerdog

Visit site
When suggesting to a pony breeder friend that maybe it would be better if she didn't have a barbed wire fence after one of her youngsters was badly injured on it, she replied -

'Well it was his fault, he shouldn't have tried to jump out'!

ElphabaFae

Visit site
"I know what I am doing" from a lady at the RS who was trying to get her daughter on the pony because she didn't have the patience to wait for me to help her :rolleyes: Lucky I got there before the daughter stepped on the stirrup because I could fit my hand sideways between the girth and the pony :rolleyes:

"The pony is tired now, so I'm going to get off" From a RS cilent who was only on there 2nd lesson and after 20 minutes of walking decided her pony was tired. So halted it in the middle of the school, dismounted and handed it back to the instructor. This one is what happened in a friends lesson.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Went to veiw a hatrack of a tb mare been in same home 10+ years. Asked when her teeth were last done to be told she had never needed it as she was a good doer and had no problems chewing her food! Poor horse was in agony, I bought it and had it fixed. Lovely little mare.

ThePinkPony

Visit site
as said to me as i was pulling up ragwort in a paddock...

''Oh do leave that, its ever so pretty and the horses will love a bit of variety''

but its ragwort...

''is it?? i thought ragwort was white''...

no, thats cow parsley, this is ragwort... you do realise its deadly to horses...

''oh, well in that case could you do the feilds H***** and l***** are in too please''...

And same woman, ''dont pick H**** feet out today, he has a terrible limp and i dont want you making it worse''

(had a quick look, the poor thing had a bit of flint wedged in his foot, so i picked it out)

''see (5 minutes later) he's absolutely sound now, just putting it on for us werent you..''

she had owned horses ''for more years than youve had hot dinners my dear''...

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Recently told this by a novice owner: My mini was absolutely hopping lame when I led him so I put him in the cart to give him some exercise but he was even worse after a few miles. So I put him on box rest and gave him some bute. The farrier says he's really fat and has laminators (really!) but I don't like seeing his sad little face looking over the door so I give him plenty of feeds.

Then we also have my next door neighbour whose very elderly lami-prone mare is always given first pick of the fresh grass every year and every year can be seen standing rocked back on her heels. Guess who has been advising the novice owner with the mini.

happyhack

Visit site
I don't know why XX keeps going lame....
After horse had been on box rest for months after a broken leg, turned straight out in a field and then cantered around the school when vet advised just to walk........

I cant belive how muscled XX still is after 2 months box rest.....
Says the owner whilst WOBBLING horses neck....

^^ all the same owner

Well XX is not lame so thats one good thing
Says the groom who has just mixed the bute into horses feed that was kicked in the field a couple of days prior, has massive swelling and a gaping wound......

Scary stuff!

E_Lister

Visit site
I was asked to look after an absolute barrel of a shetland who I am always amazed doesn't have lami.

They had her in a lush, green, grass to the knees field with no muzzle and no way to restrict it.

After explaining all my concerns, I asked if I could strip graze her in order to try restrict grass intake... no! I asked if I could put a muzzle on her... no!

I asked why. "I don't want her to get hungry, and she always looks sad if I exercise her. Anyway, I like her to hold a little weight!!"

Needless to say I was excercising her every single day (sometimes twice) and worrying constantly. I was incredibly relieved when they FINALLY started to listen and put her in a lami paddock, unfortunately soon after that they decided they didn't need me to help anymore :(

glitterbug

Visit site
On arriving at the yard, one owner says " Jim is so very lame I think he has broken a bone in his foot, I have lunged him for 20 minutes on the concrete but he is no better" :eek: :eek:
Thankfully it was pus in the foot and nothing more:eek:

JustKickOn

Visit site
XX has laminitis, so she's on box rest, but she gets lots of apples, carrots and a big feed, so she shan't go hungry.
Poor mare got so bad she nearly had to be PTS :(

indie999

Visit site
Laminitic overweight shetland(you know the big barrel type about to explode) vet told them to keep it on on strict diet stabled as it couldnt walk and had POLOs on a string so that the pony wouldnt get bored!! When challenged ie that contains sugar apparently, we didnt know what we were talking about as she belonged to the pony club!

urghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Cedars

Visit site
I did a cracker the other day. Wasn't concentrating at the saddlery when a man asked me if my youngster was a mare. I said, no, she's a skewbald.

In my defence he was driving me nuts and I wasn't concentrating because I was reading shampoo bottles!!!

Heard the height one before.

Jesstickle

Visit site
'My horse has broken it's leg, you can see the bone sticking out' said whilst pointing at said horse's elbow!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
From a woman with a grossly overweight welsh type pony, "she has got to this age (around 9) without laminitis so she will never get it now":rolleyes:. She also told everyone my daughter was cruel and starving our 2 as they were kept in during the day to try and keep their weight down.:mad:

Luci07

Visit site
The saddest and was devasting for the poor friend who this happened to..

YO calling me trying to get hold of said friend urgently - we were all trying to get hold of her - she was in a new job and was ignoring us thinking it was just us trying to say happy birthday.

YO had to tell her that her horse had broken his leg in his field..

Friend - thats awful - how long will he be off for?

Think that is possibly going to be the worst birthday she ever had, had to be told when in a brand new job, and was completely floored. Horse had been mine I had sold to her and they had formed a very good partnership so very upsetting for all.

tillytime

Visit site
First lesson in years at a local RS. Saddle slipped as I got on so instructor informed: "It always does that, I'll try and tighten it but it doesn't actually fit the horse, so you'll just have to put your weight into the opposite stirrup if it moves!!!"

Could not believe it ... NEVER WENT BACK!

ThePinkPony

Visit site
First lesson in years at a local RS. Saddle slipped as I got on so instructor informed: "It always does that, I'll try and tighten it but it doesn't actually fit the horse, so you'll just have to put your weight into the opposite stirrup if it moves!!!"

Could not believe it ... NEVER WENT BACK!

^^ lol i think i know her!

had the same experience.. ''the problem is theres no point having separate tack for riding school horses, and if you have loose tack it teaches you to balance better...''

HorseGirl18

Visit site
buying a horse at the moment..

we picked him up for a 2 week trial and i said, "im not sure though if he will jump the height" as when i first tried him we only jumped small because he was slipping and it wasnt fair on him.
the owner turned round and said, "just hit him with a scaffold pole a few times as he goes over the fence, he'll soon jump high enough then.":eek:

Morgan123

Visit site
how about - in the middle of winter, freezing cold -4 in daytime, with automatic troughs frozen over so liveries all asking farmer to fill up the troughs, he says 'I'm not going to bother filling them up by very much, there's no point as they'll just freeze again'.

Louby

Visit site
Waiting for assistance in a well known horse shop a few years ago, a lovely doting husband wanted to buy a saddle to fit a cob as a xmas present for his wife. Assistant said what size do you want, husband said, hmmmm dont know, its about this big and raises arm. Assistant then sells him a brand new saddle, she does say, if it doesnt fit you can bring it back but I was gobsmacked. Off he went happy as larry

SusieT

Visit site
'Said to me by a very experienced yard owner and dressage rider when my horse was napping. "Give her a really good thrashing"'
I don't understand this one-it is certainly one solution and often v. successful, not exactly a 'scarily unkowledgeable' thing? Possibly something you don't agree with but then maybe your horse wouldn't be napping (of course I don't know the full story I suppose)

silvertinsel

Visit site
Lol I know I've already posted, but I saw someone else on here write about something stupid they said or did and I felt able to announce that yes I can be one of those people that embarresses themselves without thinking!
Went to a show yesterday and was feeling a little nervy so left nag with dad and OH and I went off to get number and pay for class. I was filling in the entry form and it said 'height' and thought that was a strange thing to have to write down, but didnt think too much about it and wrote '5ft5'. Got to the desk and the woman laughed and scribbled it out. I later found out she wanted the horse's height, she must have thought I was a complete numpty!

silvertinsel

Visit site
'Said to me by a very experienced yard owner and dressage rider when my horse was napping. "Give her a really good thrashing"'
I don't understand this one-it is certainly one solution and often v. successful, not exactly a 'scarily unkowledgeable' thing? Possibly something you don't agree with but then maybe your horse wouldn't be napping (of course I don't know the full story I suppose)

I dont understand either? Are you saying you would beat a horse if it was napping? Lol whatttttt?

mymare

Visit site
On having a horse signed over to the sanctuary where I used to work, owner hands mare to me "she was always lame on that leg so I just used to give her a good kick on the other "shin" so it evened it up before I rode her".

Worst and most frightening thing I ever heard was from a vet who had been treating a lawyer's horse. Lawyer was complete novice. Couldn't understand why the syringe-full of wormer didn't come with a needle on the end, so he cut a hole in the horse's neck with a Stanley knife...

PuzzlePatch

Visit site
On having a horse signed over to the sanctuary where I used to work, owner hands mare to me "she was always lame on that leg so I just used to give her a good kick on the other "shin" so it evened it up before I rode her".

Worst and most frightening thing I ever heard was from a vet who had been treating a lawyer's horse. Lawyer was complete novice. Couldn't understand why the syringe-full of wormer didn't come with a needle on the end, so he cut a hole in the horse's neck with a Stanley knife...

That is horrific...even a complete novice should have some common sense. :confused:

Brambridge04

Visit site
How about this (bit long)

Very young girl, unhorsey parents, totally over horsed with a safe cob.

"He is so ploddy, so ive been feeding him a high sugar diet"

2 weeks later pony is in a waterford gag because "i cant do anything as i have no brakes"