scary day- horsebox wheel came off whilst in motion!

amandaco2

Visit site
had three horses on board post a very successful trip to a dr clinic
lorry suddenly juddered then settled, then as we came off at a roundabout it really juddered and felt awful, then a bang noise and so we stopped, I got out and the rear right outer wheel (twin wheels) was at an angle and held on by one very lonely looking bolt and nut :eek: so immediately we were stuck there as it had probably a few threads left before it was also shearing off completely..... so ok it didn't come off completely but it was seconds away from it......
had the mechanic out who is local and helped us get it home, horrible journey

has anyone else had anything happen similar??? also the bolts served both wheels- is that normal??? mechanic said by the look of it the holes the bolts go through were the wrong size (too small) causing a lot of movement and stress which had built up and just sheared them off. we had been out to do some xc the day before and going along at 50.... so a v stressful afternoon spent thinking thank gawd it happened going at about 5mph!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Had a blow out using a borrowed lorry going to Braham Horse trials going up the M5! The noise was horrendous, I thought the ramp had blown off! Luckily, the horse coped and we stopped and waited for help - which is VERY scary on the hard shoulder. Also luckily, no one else was injured with flying parts of rubber tyre.

Taught us a lesson to check the obvious wear/tear on an unknown lorry.

Venevidivici

Visit site
Had a blow out of a rear tyre an hour and a half from home,after a BE event. Very scary-unbelievably loud 'boom' of a bang noise,like a bomb going off:( Twin axle/wheel at back,so lorry didn't veer or swerve. Stopped,waited about an hour for breakdown to arrive & replace tyre. 2horses were fine and well behaved in circumstances. Not an experience I hope to repeat tho:(

Mike007

Visit site
Has no one ever taught you that checking the wheel nuts is a daily check on lorries? I suggest you find someone who knows what they are doing ,to teach you before you have a serious accident.

Rebels

Visit site
We had an awful rattling on a front wheel, tyre had recently been replaced and had been checked several times. Pulled over to get the wheel trim off to find the wheel held on by two nuts with the rest running round the trim. Lesson learnt and we removed the wheel trims and put the clips on that tell you if the nuts aren't straight.

popsdosh

Visit site
Has no one ever taught you that checking the wheel nuts is a daily check on lorries? I suggest you find someone who knows what they are doing ,to teach you before you have a serious accident.
Mike thats a bit of an unfair comment I have personally had both right rear wheels come off with horses on board(50 mph on DC and 2 days after MOT) luckily I was driving as I had the strength to keep it all straight with trwo horses on board.Not caused by not checking but two sheared studs due to over zealous use of the air gun on a six stud axle the other studs very quickly come loose after one has broken.Must say I would have noticed had it not been that I was on a concrete section of the A47 and put the rythmical clunk down to the expansion joints. It does make you think what if!!!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Mike -- shut up! We all know accidents shouldn't happen, but they do. That's why they are called accidents!:rolleyes:

I had TWO wheels (same side) come off an Ifor Williams trailer with two 500kgs Highland mares on board. I must have been going about 45 at the time. The trailer just slid to a halt. We off loaded the ponies into a nearby field and there was no harm done but everyone was a bit shaken.

The worst part was following traffic as this happened on the wrong side of a bend. Fortunately, I had picked up a hitch hiker who was sent back up the road to warn oncoming traffic. The spare wheel was put on and the trailer towed to a layby on three wheels. I unhitched the LR, drove to town, got parts, then home for tools, and was up and running in no time.

If the wheel nuts are not tightened up correctly, they will come loose and effectively cut the studs off, enlarging the holes in the wheel rims in the process. All wheel nuts should be tightened with a torque spanner to the correct degree of tension but a lot of garages don't do that. Unless you stand over your mechanic while he is servicing your trailer, these things will happen occasionally. A neighbour tells me this is what makes life interesting. Personally, I'll stick with boring!

amandaco2

Visit site
no-one has taught me to check wheel nuts daily. i walk around the lorry before each use.
they were fine before we set off, i am sure i would have noticed if we only had one nut and bolt on it!
why would i check the wheel nuts daily- i check it before i use it.

Bestdogdash

Visit site

Good grief Mike - nobody checks wheel nuts everyday - and have never had any mechanic suggest this is part of any pre journey check.

Sounds like a tricky situation - pleased you got home safely.

ROG

Visit site
no-one has taught me to check wheel nuts daily. i walk around the lorry before each use.
they were fine before we set off, i am sure i would have noticed if we only had one nut and bolt on it!
why would i check the wheel nuts daily- i check it before i use it.

Before use is fine

Advice = if there are no plastic wheel nut pointers fitted to each nut then physically get hold of each nut and try to turn them - wearing gloves recommended for doing this

Simply looking at wheel nuts without pointers fitted will not be considered a sufficient safety check by the authorities and may also invalidate insurance if an incident happens

A simple tick box vehicle check sheet is recommended with a date and signature put next to/under the list of checks carried out

measles

Visit site
A simple tick box vehicle check sheet is recommended with a date and signature put next to/under the list of checks carried out

We complete one of these before each journey but have only been doing it since my HGV training when the instructor explained that if there were ever to be an accident - as in the OP's case - I would have evidence of safe practices.

ROG

Visit site
I remember one trip I did in the 90s in a 6 legger carrying steel = full vehicle check done - almost near Beckton in London and felt something odd - checked truck and found all the holes on the wheels on one axle had been ovalled - we still do not know why it happened !!

perfect11s

Visit site
Good grief Mike - nobody checks wheel nuts everyday - and have never had any mechanic suggest this is part of any pre journey check.

Sounds like a tricky situation - pleased you got home safely.
Im with Mike on this sorry !! It is if you are a profesional driver !! , sadly poor maintanance and lack of basic mecanical abillity is a dangerous combination , tyre presure or lack of it is the main cause of blowouts . incorrectly re fitted wheels ie rust on hubs and mateing surfaces of the wheels the studs being worn dirty or streched by overtighting or not lubricated the cause of wheel loss!!!.
So always make sure everything is clean the threads are clean and lubricated so the nuts will go all the way on without needing force ,Never let anyone use a air wrench to fully tighten nuts!!! allways finish with a torque wrench then re check after about 100kms and check daily! rust streaks from nuts is a tell tail possible looseness , checking with a wheel brace or taping the nuts with a tiny hammer (a loose one will sound dull and correct will make a ting sound) It only takes a few minutes but could save a life ..

perfect11s

Visit site
I remember one trip I did in the 90s in a 6 legger carrying steel = full vehicle check done - almost near Beckton in London and felt something odd - checked truck and found all the holes on the wheels on one axle had been ovalled - we still do not know why it happened !!
It happened because the wheels had been incorectly fitted!!! ie rust on hubs etc and/or over or under tightened nuts..

amandaco2

Visit site
im not a professional driver, i was taking my own horses to a clinic and back.
?confused?
in any case i will be following the checklist from now on to try to avoid such problems and potential problems

Booboos

Visit site
Very scary for you! I am glad no one was hurt and you all got home safely. I have had a tyre blow out, sounded like a bullet had gone off, but luckily the vehicle remained steady and we pulled over (it was one of two back tyres). A lovely farmer let us park in his yard, allowed us to turn the horses out in a field (!!!) and wait for the recovery vehicle to change the tyre. We just amde it to the show as well so it was a long but successful day in the end.

idx

Visit site
Fantastic advice on here to use a checklist, given horseboxes are used to carry our precious ponies and often not used on a daily basis a checklist seems very sensible for peace of mind in the rush before a show.

I am sure the advice given on this forum does increase knowledge and reduce accidents.

Well done all you posters above - a useful discussion with practical suggestions!

mutley75

Visit site
Mike, am so with you just a shame you get shot down! Bottom line it is drivers responsibility to make sure vehicle is roadworthy.
My story, 2 new front tyres fitted. Left workshop and drove 20 miles on m25 when pulled to vosa check. 1 front tyre only 2wheel nuts left. Because when you have new tyres fitted or old ones removed and re fitted the tyre fitter will attach a label to the steering wheel to check after 50km or 39 mins. This is their get out! That cost me 6 points on my licence!
Now, running a truck commercially every time a wheel comes off it is written down in a diary also, every time the nuts are tourked up is noted. It is a minimum of once a fortnight. You must realise buck stops with driver commercial or private. It only takes a quick search to find the horrendous results of trucks loosing wheels!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
But mutley you didnt until you were pulled over?

Amandaco has said she will be taking better precautions in the future. Let's be grateful everyones home safe now. We all make mistakes and can all learn from them.

popsdosh

Visit site
But mutley you didnt until you were pulled over?

Amandaco has said she will be taking better precautions in the future. Let's be grateful everyones home safe now. We all make mistakes and can all learn from them.
In my example the studs were damaged at test and they did not spot it so things happen! To be quite honest in many years of dealing with commercial vehicles and machinery in general very few things break when they are not being used surprisingly. The modern type of wheel nuts only need a little movement to completely shake loose very quickly! I will say though the best thing you can do if uncertain is chuck away wheel trims and always carry a hammer with you as these will both give you an easy check of tyre inflation and whether nuts are tight .
I use wheel trims with nut indicators (if you have a torch you can check them!)and only remove and replace wheels myself now so I know job done properly!

lindsayH

Visit site
Would someone please be kind enough to explain to me exactly what I should be looking for when checking my lorry's wheels? What are pointers? I have taken on board that I should ensure the mechanic does not tighten the nuts with an air gun. At the moment all my checks consist of is occasional checking of tyre pressure and a visual inspection of the tyre tread/walls and nuts. My lorry is 3.5t and has double wheels at the back which are hard to get a good look at.

Thank you for highlighting this OP, I'm glad you got home safely.