Scary moment

TallulahBright

Visit site
So we were hacking alone yesterday around the lanes, it was windy and the first time we'd been out alone for a couple of weeks. Lula stopped dead and I could feel her 'think' about whipping around. Next moment a car screeched around the corner and managed to stop about five feet from us. She was a star and didn't move. The driver turned off his engine and as we passed I said, "Thank you, I didn't think you were going to stop."
"Oh, I saw you," he replied.
"My point," I said calmly, "Is that I didn't think you were going to be able to stop."
He looked uncomfortable but didn't reply and then took off at the same speed.
I and my horse both wear hi vis, what else can we do to help the numpties if they just won't slow down?
I have a four years old who at the moment is confident in traffic because of the hard work I've put in over the last three years. I worry that this will change because of speeding drivers around narrow country lanes.

tafyx

Visit site
I dont know what the answer is. My horse is very good in traffic but its me who is starting to loose my confidence in it thanks to idiot motorists. we have had so many near misses despite doing everything i can to be seen and safe. am starting to worry its going to upset my boy if i am not 100%.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I know its very annoying and dangerous with speeding cars and horses.
The trouble with lanes is stupidly the speed limit is quite high,
A lot around by us have a 60mph limit.
So the driver is doing no wrong.
As long as they slow down as soon as they see you and you have hi viz on to help the driver see you asap.

The only other hope is to get the speed limit reduced.

gemin1eye

Visit site
you're basically accusing him of speeding, although he'd just come round a corner and managed to stop in time to avoid your horse pratting about, so it doesnt sound like he was going excessively fast. he also did the decent thing and stopped his car altogether, and you were snotty with him. you must have some idea how fast you thought he was going?