SCC

Ally1965

New User
Visit site
Hello I'm new to this so bear with me..my mare 10 years old had scc ..I noticed small white lump probably a month ago thought it was a piece of shaving from the bedding..quick acting got third eyelid removed all good ..just wondering will it always be slightly weepy..thanks

Trules

Visit site
Hello I'm new to this so bear with me..my mare 10 years old had scc ..I noticed small white lump probably a month ago thought it was a piece of shaving from the bedding..quick acting got third eyelid removed all good ..just wondering will it always be slightly weepy..thanks

Hi. WHat does SCC stand for? I know a young mare that had 3rd eyelid removed a couple of years ago and yes it has always been slightly weepy ever scince

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My best mare had this, had her straight to the vet, but it was still so small that the vet thought it was nothing, and gave me some cream and said to return in 2 weeks.

After 1 week it had grown some, so rang the vet and asked for a second opinion from whoever was the eye expert in the UK, I would drive her anywhere from the top of Scotland to the bottom of Cornwall. Happily the eye expert was due in an equine hospital the week after, so we were referred, and the SCC was removed the week after that.

Sadly the 3 week delay meant that the tumour had grown down into the tear duct, and a section was removed, meaning that the corner of her eye was not high enough to form a dam for the tears. She still had normal tear production, and the duct had been repaired so it did drain tears, but as the corner of her eye was low, yes, she did always have a weepy eye.

I would have to say though, that as long as I wiped her face with a damp cotton wool ball twice a day, it was not noticeable if you did not know.

When she went up to BE Intermediate and CCI it was apparent that she was destined for greater stuff than I was, she sold well despite the surgery. They did say it was at no more risk of coming back than any other horse.