Schooing issues with myself

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I did my first proper schooling session with Edward today. He is a very responsive ride - and I am starting to feel like I am asking properly - because he is responding in the way I want!
grin.gif

BUT

I notice in canter, my lower leg becomes useless...could this be because I am gripping with my thighs? Should I be? And if not what is the best way to correct it?

My only small critisism of the Ted is he seems reluctant to stay on the outside track of the school - so it feels like I am constantly using my outside rein to get him back on track - is there any easier way to keep him out? Or I am perhaps sending him a mixed message?

I know it svery hard to say without seeing me, but if these issues are familiar I'd love to know how to deal with them. I have my first lesson in a fortnight - soo loooking forward to it!
grin.gif

Miaow

Kitty
grin.gif

EmilyRG

Visit site
Isn't it so nice when things go your way!
My lower leg used to slip back, and I still think it does now a bit. Make sure that you heels are down, so you weight goes down your calf and into your toes. This way your leg will be weighed down making it harder to drift backwards.
Making sure you are sitting up really straight will also keep it where it should be as you will become unbalanced if your body parts aren't working together.
Finally, this is what really helped me to get my leg correct.. if you make sure that the inside of your leg is in contact with the horse (no-one should be able to slip their hand inbetween you and Edward's side!) doing this means that your knee will come away, showing you how much you would have been gripping!

To make sure you keep to the outside track I would day that you should check that your inside hand does not cross over his mane, and you should 'open the door' with your outside hand inviting him onto the track. By keeping contact with your inside leg you'll be pushing him over.

Hope atleast some of that helped!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
When I was having trouble with my position in canter when I first got my boy I had a couple of sessions on the lunge for maybe 10/15 mins at the start of my lessons - you can go no stirrups and reins so just concentrate on you and your position while someone else deals with steering etc. It has made all the difference to my position in lots of ways - improves your balance, your grip, deeper seat etc.

Like I say it gives you the chance to think about your position - give it a try!
grin.gif

PS For the first few minutes it is a bit unnerving(!)
blush.gif
as you have no direct control but you soon relax into it and use your seat more effectively.