School girl dies in riding accident

The Original Kao

Visit site
poor girl. my thoughts go out to her friends and family
frown.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Her poor family.
Interesting if she was riding over a motorway bridge to know if it had raised height barriers, as our own Sooty fought long and hard to get them installed on a new bridge near her home.
I have never ridden over a motorway bridge and wouldn't much like to, though I'm sure the horses soon get used to it. I would worry if the bariers were normal height, let's face it, that's an easy jump to a horse..

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Did she actually fall off the bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think she did as i am very local and i am sure i would have heard if the M55 was closed etc.

Re the height of the barriers, i 'think' they are standard heights here. I have only been over a few locally, even though one is part of a 60mph A road and rather wide i only ever ride right in the middle of the road (and tend to sing to my mare if i am on her to distact from the sound). From memory, the one that it sounds like it was isnt a massive one but also not one of the tiny ones.

echodomino

Visit site
R.I.P Charlotte.

It's very sad but at the same time, I wouldn't be letting a 12yr old ride out without an adult present. My friend's daughter's insurance doesn't cover her out hacking unless she's accompanied by someon 18 or over, she's 13.

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Her poor family.
Interesting if she was riding over a motorway bridge to know if it had raised height barriers, as our own Sooty fought long and hard to get them installed on a new bridge near her home.
I have never ridden over a motorway bridge and wouldn't much like to, though I'm sure the horses soon get used to it. I would worry if the bariers were normal height, let's face it, that's an easy jump to a horse..

[/ QUOTE ]

What a tragic story. You have to feel immense sympathy with her friend (and of course her family) who was out riding with her. She must've felt so helpless and alone. Bless her.

I ride over the M6 all the time. The bride parapets are only 1m high. Never bothered the horses. People toot their horns and wave to us all the time too.

Only time Patches has ever been bothered was when the Highways Agency were using chainsaws to cut rotten branches off the trees. She couldn't see what the noise was so was scared to cross. Wasn't just the saws, but the noise of the falling branches that frightened her. They couldn't see her either or hear me shout my pleasant "Excuse me". Passing motorist stopped and whistled loudly to them. They switched off and she trotted merrily over the bridge like nothing was there.

PeanutButterDragon

Visit site
How sad
frown.gif
Always so sorry to hear a rider has had an accident, but somehow her being a 12 year old girl seems all the more tragic
frown.gif
I hope she rests in peace

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have ridden over this bridge (and all the others round there) Some are narrower than others and the noise varies. We don't know all the details so whether this will see a sudden revamp of the parapet sides remains to be seen.

What a very, very tragic loss and my sincerest sympathies to her family and friends. I hope she'd had a fantastic and happy summer. R.I.P Charlotte x