Schooling advice. . . and bit advice

Flint12

Visit site
When i have lessons i can keep my lads concentration and he works really well.

I am having problems though when not in lessons keeping my lads concentration.

Tonight he was a twit, i gave up after ten mins as he would not settle and everything was much more interesting than what was meant to be happening.

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep concentration when schooling?

He is currently in a loose ring french link and goes quite nicely in it. I was wondering whether bits such as Mylers, NS and spregner bits are worth giving a try? I have always wanted to try them but the price has always put me off. Are they worth the money or not really?

Thanks

laugh.gif

Katie__Connie

Visit site
I wouldn't change your bit unless there is a problem in the current bit... but thats just IMO...:)

Try and have an aim or goal for each schooling session so you have a focus and there is a point to it. Keep them short and finish while he is going well... dont wait until he is bored. Keep the sessions varied and interesting so you both dont get bored!! Try taking him for a short hack down the road before or after the session so he gets some fun too...
grin.gif

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
one word for you...

eBay

grin.gif

p.s. in answer to your question, my horse never listens to me. i'm too boring... so i've just bought a Myler to try... i'll let you know if he starts listening... or just nods off...
p.p.s. if he listens in lessons... it may be something you're doing differently?... in which case, is a bit going to be the answer?

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I have the same problem , as far as it all goes well in lessons - goes to pot on my own!
grin.gif
So no help really there as I'm still trying to figure it out on my own. I just make sure I'm always doing something , I rarely spend any time on the outside track for doing serpentines, half 10 m circles, spiralling in, spiralling out, leg yielding, shoulder out etc you get the idea!
grin.gif
It seems to work after about 20 minutes of warming up.

As far as bits go, I wouldn't be without my myler I dont think. I bought the comfort snaffle for £35 and although it hasn't "promoted outline," or whatever - which I dont think you really can with a bit - its made him a lot more settled as he used to head shake quite a bit, its given me fantastic brakes and he's a lot moister in his mouth

soph21

Visit site
Are you sure its not your concentration too? Im the same, we can both work together lovely with instructor, but when Im on me own, I think we both get bored
blush.gif

Maybe try and replicate your weekly lesson? Thats what I try and do, but I only ever school for 20 mins or so at a time, as I make the bugger work hard lol!

If he goes fine in the bit he's in, dont change it
laugh.gif

Theres no point
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Louby

Visit site
If hes happy in the bit hes in then Id stick with it. Ive tried a Myler and at first I thought he went better (he has a bad tongue habit) but hes still the same and feels a bit heavy in the Myler.
As for schooling on your own, my boy is the same. I think when you have lessons you are kept focused, made to do certain things at certain markers, are told constantly to do this and that but when you are on your own I find I seem to have done 2 circles before I think to half halt, change direction, give a loop of rein etc etc. I seem to accept rubbish transitions when on a lesson youd be made to do it again. Try to do loads of transitions, half halts, ride squares, circles, make them larger, smaller etc as if Im not focussed then I seem to wander aimlessly.

Flint12

Visit site
hmmm. . .will consider the bit later on i think.

It might be my concentration. . . hmmm. . .I think my problem is getting worked up about something when it goes wrong however small and then it just gets worse.

Will take him for a little hack in the evening tmoz and then do ten mins in the school. The funny thing is i find i can school him better in the rain or wind for example, dont know why though hehe.

Thanks
laugh.gif

Louby

Visit site
lol, my horse goes beautiful in the rain, no tongue issues, just tucks his head in and looks the part
grin.gif
I pray for rain when we do dressage
grin.gif
grin.gif