Schooling livery- what to expect re communication etc

Sunnydays

New User
Visit site
Hello

I am just wondering what others opinions are. If you sent your horse away for a week to a well known local trainer (who you’ve met/trained with a few times), what would you expect by way of updates whilst you are away?

I am a little surprised to have had a simple one/two line reply from a message sent half way through the week to ask after horse. The trainer mentioned sending videos etc but none have been sent. I have asked to see the horse under saddle when picked up- is this a reasonable request?

New to this and don’t want to be an irritating owner!

Thanks.

Shay

Visit site
I had this with a horse on schooling livery - the lack of communication drove me mad. I don't know what is "normal" but this particular well known trainer treated me like a complete nuisance for asking about my horse which I was paying for.

I expected an update after a couple of days and at the end of the week with further updates as agreed between us. I didn't think that was unreasonable. They did. Perhaps I was wrong.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The schooling yard that i recommend does ask for a few days with no contact so they can get a eel for the horse, but then they do surprise you with a photo or two. They would prefer that at the end of the week that you DO see the horse ridden and also ride the horse yourself as there is no point them schooling a horse if you do not understand the changes that have taken place and how to work further forward.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I wouldn't expect too much communication, they need go get to know the horse and get a feel for it. When I was injured, my horse was away with my trainer for about 6 weeks and I think I spoke to him on a weekly basis. I sent him there because I trusted him to be well looked after and well schooled, I didn't need more than a weekly update.

Eta: yes I would expect to see him ridden at the end of it, although not sure how much difference a week can make to be honest.

sport horse

Visit site
I would not expect daily reports. If only away for one week perhaps speak after day 6 to arrange viewing and collection on day 7. No news is good news?!

alainax

Visit site
expect once a week or when anything particularly interesting happened. Pics and videos every fortnight or so.

If it’s only away for a week then I wouldn’t expect anything until I collected it.

TheMule

Visit site
I agree that if the horse is there for a week you don't need updates.
If the rider has time to send lengthy updates and videos then they aren't busy enough which would question whether they were good enough for the job!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
my horse went to a show producer for 2 weeks and she sent me pictures and video's of her riding him almost everyday and to be honest I think you should expect some sort of pictures at least once in a week. I even got some pictures of him out in the field and you could really notice how much easier he was to ride when he came back you could see how much work had been put in especially his canter transitions.

GlamourDol

Visit site
I currently have one in for Schooling, I ride and compete him anyway but he has come for a bit of an intensive few days.
I have spoken to his owner everyday. Nothing massive but just an update on how he's worked.
If he was with me for longer I wouldn't message everyday but he's precious to her and she's paying a fair chunk of money for him to be with me so I think its the least I can do to give her updates on him.

GlamourDol

Visit site
I agree that if the horse is there for a week you don't need updates.
If the rider has time to send lengthy updates and videos then they aren't busy enough which would question whether they were good enough for the job!

It takes two minutes to send a text. I think most of my clients would laugh at the fact I message whilst I'm having a wee or waiting for the kettle to boil.

MissTyc

Visit site
I usually leave with a "no news is good news agreement" but if I send a message then I expect a constructive response even if it's a short one.
If I ask for a callback I expect for the trainer to do so at their convenience and give me a quick update. (in my trainer's case, she normally calls during a cool off walk down the lane)

gallopingby

Visit site
Having now been 'ripped off' on two occasions and once having a horse so badly treated that he came back unridable after several months I would only have a horse on schooling livery if I had a written note of what was expected. This would include costs and what this would include i.e. who was actually going to ride/school the horse - don't assume anything. A week isn't very long -having thoroughly inspected the yard before placing him there I would expect a mid week update and to be able to ride before collection and also to see him ridden. For a longer period of time I would expect any phone calls or texts to be responded to and would insist that I spoke to the person in charge once a week, if they weren't able to do this they would have broken the contract and the deal would end. Far too many new 'producers' see this as a money making exercise providing then with an opportunity to have a horse for them/their friends and family to have a jolly on because they once won a class at the local show/did some HOYS qualifiers etc etc. Sorry if this is harsh - there are very good competent yards, usually they will have a waiting list and will be busy but I'd still expect them to communicate in response to contact from me in whatever the agreed form is.

rachk89

Visit site
I'm sending mine away soon for a complete overhaul. He's basically being taken back to backing again. Gonna take a while but I'll get updates every week and photos. I'm just glad I have someone willing to do it despite what I've told her.