Schooling livery

Tammy dryden

Visit site
Has anyone ever sent there horses away on schooling livery?
Long story short I've had my boy for 2 years and he has developed a very bad napping habit and its become dangerous, ive had all vet checks done , back checked and new saddle and he has been given clean bill of health. I've had a professional rider out twice a week for past 4 months but don't seem like I'm getting any where. But am worried about sending him away as feel like I'm letting him down

Marigold4

Visit site
What about having a go at convincing him riding doesn't have to be hard work and demanding? Start by tacking up, then big reward, back to stable, untack, finish. Build up to sitting on for a few minutes. Give him some choices about where to go and what to do. Lots of praise and treats. Connie Colfox is an excellent trainer for this. V expensive though. There are some useful video clips of her retraining reluctant eventers on her FB. If he's not in pain, you maybe need to reset his mind.

Tammy dryden

Visit site
What about having a go at convincing him riding doesn't have to be hard work and demanding? Start by tacking up, then big reward, back to stable, untack, finish. Build up to sitting on for a few minutes. Give him some choices about where to go and what to do. Lots of praise and treats. Connie Colfox is an excellent trainer for this. V expensive though. There are some useful video clips of her retraining reluctant eventers on her FB. If he's not in pain, you maybe need to reset his mind.
Thank you for reply... I have done the slow rewarding route, I rode him in school on weekend and for first 15 minutes he was good then as soon as I asked for more work from him he started bucking like trying to avoid work

Marigold4

Visit site
Thank you for reply... I have done the slow rewarding route, I rode him in school on weekend and for first 15 minutes he was good then as soon as I asked for more work from him he started bucking like trying to avoid work
How about going back a few steps. If 15 mins was oK, stop at 10, reward lots, take back to stable and untack. Use baby steps so the sessions are happy ones. it's boring but eventually should create a happier horse. It took me 4 months to persuade my horse that riding could be fun after the wrong saddle and a professional rider who asked too much put him off. Even now our sessions are short.