Schooling whips that make a good noise???

LauraBR

Visit site
This might sound odd but ho hum!
tongue.gif

My fat monkey of a horse was being a particularly lazy sod this afternoon. Stupidly took my short stick in with me today and I might as well not have bothered. One of the kids came in the school carrying a schooling whip so I asked if she would mind swapping for a few minutes just to get him listening...

shocked.gif
WOW, what a difference! A few light flicks and he was working better than ever! Like someone had instantly switched the turbo engine in his backside on. It was like magic!
laugh.gif

The stick was an illuminous pink one
crazy.gif
BUT it also made a good distinct noise and I *think* this is what he responds to as I have seen a similar response to my instructors stick which also has a bark worse than bite! (spent £20 on one that looked like my instructors but didn't have same effect-or noise
mad.gif
)

So... any recommendations for whips that make a good noise????? I really don't want to ride with a pink whip so any suggestions welcomed!
smirk.gif

random_rider

Visit site
Well you may look stupid but go to your local tack shop nd test the sound
tongue.gif
I know what you mean about the noise! When i ride Murph i can use a small whip and he wont listen, but i can use a schooling one and he is very responsive!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with pink? :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, neon pink is great... if you are under the age of 16ish and don't have a horse as orange as mine
tongue.gif
wink.gif

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well you may look stupid but go to your local tack shop nd test the sound
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have tried that with the £20 one I bought but it doesn't make a good sound when leather meets bottom hence I need specific recommendations
ooo.gif
The pink one sounded rubbish though the air too but made a great noise when used.

Gosh this makes me look awful... I am a responsible stick user in case anyone is concerned- would just rather one that my horse respected!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to sound thick but have you asked said riding instructor/ girl you borrowed from? You can often get the same stick in different colours but you never know it coulda been the pink!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, have found the stick... the colours it comes in are- Light Blue, Light Lavender, Mint, Pink, Purple.
crazy.gif

It's only £1.99 so have ordered it in pink (as you say it could be the colour) but really don't want to rely on a neon pink stick!
grin.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
I think for short sticks - you need one that has 2 leather bits on the bottom that aren't joined in a loop - if that makes sense - in order for it to make a loud crack noise when you use it. I think its to do with the 2 bits of leather banging against each other to make the noise. Thats what I've found anyway - they make a better noise than the ones that have a loop or just a single pad at the end IMO. I'm probably stupid but I find if I use the whip against my boot just to get the noise without hitting Jenny that the noise itself has the right effect (without hurting my leg
tongue.gif
or the horse) - maybe this explains my dodgy left leg problem
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

niagaraduval

Visit site
Maybe you could go to the tack shop and start acting as though you are whipping your horse, you know, like swing it back and fourth in front of you lmao. -Can't imagine the looks you'll get though!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You can always cover it with black (or colour of choice tape)!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT is a good idea!

Damn, should have ordered two; that way I could test if it was the colour or the noise. Hmmm might ring Derby House in the morning and get another in light blue... can then sacrifice the pink one with black tape if it works as well...

LauraBR

Visit site
yeah, my instructors whip was a schooling length one with 2 flaps of leather- the 'replica' I bought was the same but he ignores it. I think the leather needs to be quite soft as Sam reacted to the 'slap' sound on his bum- he has rhino skin and isn't bothered about the hit itself at all.

The pink whip has just a string on the end but makes a real whoosh as it hits. So, would seem any noise is effective for my lazy toad!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Be careful...the tape might ruin its swishability!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah, quite right!... good job they are £1.99!
But
shocked.gif
at Derby House postage for a featherweight stick!!!!! Will have to try and add another one to my order tomorrow!

dopeesophee

Visit site
my schooling whip snapped at the end... and i just hold it when i ride... and if i use it its the occasional tap! so i dont think ill get another one

i now use my short whip and just slap it against my leg as this gets her 2 respond better than actually tapping her with it as she is scared of the noise!
x

RachelB

Visit site
Do you want a swishy stick or a slappy one?! Long sticks with a lash end tend to be better for swishing, and obviously ones with a flat end are better for slapping. Have a look at the Kyra K whips, they offer both types (called piaffe and passage, don't have a clue which is which though!)

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

The whip I bought like my instructors was a Piaffe whip I think, but it didn't work as well- I think the leather bits might need softening up to make a better slap sound.

Silmarillion- slap or swish is fine, so long as it makes an audible sound.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my pink whip ...
tongue.gif
will check out the Kyra K ones too...
grin.gif

Or maybe I just record some really loud noises with my lunge whip and just play them while riding lol!
wink.gif