Schoolmaster GP lessons?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm determined to ride one time tempis before I die.

Does anyone know where I can go to pay for lessons on a GP schoolmaster? Happy to travel. Happy to do a residential course. Lighter in the hand style of training preferred.

Mince pie for every helpful reply.

Roxylola

Visit site
Talland would probably have something although they're spendy and didn't light me on fire when I went.
Ingestre might too - I preferred them to talland personally.

ihatework

Visit site
I don’t think you would get what you are looking for at Talland, can’t comment on other UK places.

Monte Velho in Portugal is great, they have a handful of upper level schoolmasters, the caveat being you obviously do need to be able to ride to get put on them

humblepie

Visit site
Prestige near Gloucester? Don’t know if they do that level. I went there to crack my lateral work and also discovered what a really good simple change rode like. I too had some lessons at Talland and didn’t find the experience good.

Will try to find where a friend went as well as saw some super pictures from her schoolmaster lesson.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had a great time at Pennlynn a few years back having zero experience of riding a change before hand 😂, Frank got a bit of a shock when I got home as I did learn a lot 😂. I suspect it's a bit different to riding a warmblood version/the horses might take a bit less offence while still having 'the moves' hope that makes sense.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Monte Velho in Portugal is great, they have a handful of upper level schoolmasters, the caveat being you obviously do need to be able to ride to get put on them

Well thank you for that vote of confidence, not 🤣
Worth having on the thread for others looking at it.
Judging by some of the sale/wanted sites, I think a fair few people confuse "schoolmaster" with "learners' safe plod".

Can't help your search, sorry but you'll remember the pics/report though?😁

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have gone to Prestige and had fun - did 2 times but haven’t done 1 times. The horse I rode was quite sharp and found changes easy.

Sparky Lily

Visit site
I suggest you ring Ingestre, which is relatively close to where I think you are now, and see if they can help. Even if they don’t have a suitable horse at the moment (I am a bit out of date there), they may be able to suggest somewhere else.

Noble

Visit site
I can also recommend Pen-Llyn, the horses are very capable. A nice area for a weekend away for you both too.

abb123

Visit site
I did 3 days at Monte Velho in September. First lesson I got to do a line of tempis but was lucky to have been put on a horse that was capable of them and was also very quiet and obedient (and tolerant!). You do have to show that you are a capable rider to be put on the more advanced horses. The last horse I rode was fabulous but took me 20 minutes to get a walk canter transition because you had to be spot on and anything else gave you piaffe. The horses are all very well cared for and very well trained and happy. They tend to swap them around between lesson and trail horses to keep them fresh. I would say that they ride and train in the more modern style of competitive dressage so if you are after a classical way of riding then there are probably more appropriate places.

webble

Visit site

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Definitely get the chance in Portugal - I stayed at www.Pedro-Neves.com Quinta, great horses and lovely accommodation, very handy for Lisbon (cheap flights)
I second Pedro Neves, you will get to ride proper quality horses, and they are very good at letting you have a bash on some of the "good" horses once you've demonstrated you're not a numpty (i.e. if you're half decent*, they'll put you on something that's probably MUCH better).

*you will be more than half decent, BTW.

teapot

Visit site
I’d second the go abroad suggestions for the all round experience.

Talland is an option but they ask for an assessment lesson first, just so you’re aware. I also know a number of people with mixed experiences there including the differing coaches’ teaching styles. Very much a place you try and see how you find it for what you want/fits in with your ethos. Prestige is another option in that area.

Ingestre may have something and would be closer to where you are.

Wellington might now after taking on two of Quob’s schoolmasters but booking a lesson is as rare as hen’s teeth these days (also more expensive than Talland for no guarantee of an advanced horse or lesson actually starting on time…)

I would have recommended where I spent a year working in Sussex but both fabulous coaches have left and the few horses they have are not kept that well tuned anymore, sadly.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
Wyatt Equestrian, in Kent has a Lipizzaner schoolmaster. He isn't very big, but Alex takes him to competitions and he must be nearly 6' tall.

But I think the going abroad is a good idea. In the Saddle has some holidays where you can have dressage lessons in Spain and Portugual, and maybe Equestrian Escapes has some too.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Thats truer than you might think: Baucher trained a couple of horses to canter backwards, one of them on 3 legs! (Holding foreleg out, not an amputee).

I have seen a film of this taken years ago, it was at a riding clinic and there were all sorts of interesting old films.

sportsmansB

Visit site
I second Pedro Neves, you will get to ride proper quality horses, and they are very good at letting you have a bash on some of the "good" horses once you've demonstrated you're not a numpty (i.e. if you're half decent*, they'll put you on something that's probably MUCH better).

*you will be more than half decent, BTW.
You can also have a bash at Working Equitation here which is great fun. Rooms are really nice, food is great, very friendly people. Stay as long or not as you want. I liked that the horses were all out in paddocks, including stallions out. I booked with Zaras Planet but you can obvs book direct