Sciatica and riding

saddlesore

Visit site
Currently suffering from a second bout of sciatica in less than a year. Currently on a LOT of pain medication but it’s helping very little truth be told. I haven’t ridden in around 4 weeks or so now and had been hoping it would be on the mend but it’s not ☹️ Am I crazy to consider getting back on board? I’m missing it like mad and horse is getting fat. Does anyone have any advice or success stories? Or even ‘don’t be bloody stupid’ stories might be helpful in making my mind up!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Feeling your pain - literally! It bleddi hurts doesn't it.

I can't remember where I heard it mentioned, but apparently there are three exercises which are helpful.

The first is a Yoga exercise called "The Cobra". The other is "The Cat" - again yoga. You should be able to find these on You Tube.

The third is where you lie on your back, crook-lying, with your legs bent, and you then take a leg up and bring it up towards you whilst bending it into outward rotation, and if you can, then put it on the knee/thigh area of the other leg that isn't working, so as to get a good stretch.

Hope this helps.

Tirna

Visit site
I suffered with this due to a bulging disc at L5/S1 and can totally sympathize with you as the back pain and sciatica was awful. I actually found that bending and lifting tasks (mucking out etc) caused far more pain both in the long and short term than riding. Has your GP suggested a nerve-specific painkiller such as gabapentin? This helped me along with an Acavallo gel seat saver to reduce impact when riding.

Mine progressed to the point where the disc herniated and I needed an emergency lumbar discectomy surgery, which meant 6 months off riding. On much more positive note, it did ultimately solve the issue! Feel free to PM me :)

oldie48

Visit site
Totally agree with all the above suggestions. do you know what's causing the sciatica? I have had far fewer bouts of it since using a back friend in my car as it was the seat position that was aggravating my existing condition. It really is vile, I've lost count of the nights I've spent lying on my back on the bedroom floor with my knees in a chair position, rolling back and forth but it usually helps me.Pilates has strengthened my core and improved my back muscles but it all really depends on what is causing sciatica in the first place. I don't find flatwork aggravates my back but jumping does, so Id give it a go. My daughter, the doctor, always tells me to take maximum pain killers and keep moving but she'd probably tell me to do that if one of my legs fell off!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
riding used to help my back but i am only riding once a week now and its not enough so i am on amitriptylene at night and paracetamol during the day and that keeps me mobile....its an awful pain and i am hoping to cut down on the pills soon...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would have it investigated then have a load of physio.

I found physios very variable, but found one who said they would alleviate the symptoms of a bulging disk and reduce it. Too 2 weeks of daily physio, and a few PT type sessions to follow up, but they succeeded.

I had to pay, as the NHS were not going to help me much. I got one who had interest in sports injuries. I was really pushed.

TPO

Visit site
After sciatica I found riding hurt. Well rididng is a bit of an exaggeration... I clambered on and sitting astride was agony. I went weak with the pain and had to shout on my mum so that I could lean on her to slither/collapse off the horse. Thank goodness hes close to the ground!!

There are lots of good diagrams on pinterest of stretches for sciatica. I'm working on them and core strength.

I find anything where I twist can cause little tingle of it. Ice had intermittent back pain but I got sciatica last year and not been right since. It's a weird feeling as I'm scared of triggering it and every other pain I've had I've just soldiered on through. I didnt expect riding to hurt as much as it did.

A couple of friends were trying to talk me into crossfit and even watching people do it makes me scared for backs! All that snatching and jerking would completely break me.

No words of advice other than be careful, you've only got one back!

Old school

Visit site
After first bout of sciatica, I found riding actually helped. After second bout, swimming really helped and then back riding very quickly. Third time lots of meds and back riding. Found it very important to try to keep moving and doing exercises. Finally, a super neuromuscular therapist worked wonders alongside the third bout. I hope you get better very soon and have plenty of support/help.

racebuddy

Visit site
I had it Nd was off feom riding for about theee months , was in agony constantly and was only when on tramdol whixh i xould ohly take once a day the pain statted to ease , stRting rising again and was scared of it hirtinf but sorked theougj and jist took ot slow

BBP

Visit site
Riding is pretty much the only thing that my sciatica is ok with. This bout has lasted 6 months so far so there’s no chance of me not riding for that long. I find riding helps to gently mobilise my spine and open my hips. I did a 3.5 hr ride on Sunday and felt better than I have in months. Straight back to normal after though!

I’m not on pain killers as I don’t want to take anything for a prolonged period and they don’t seem to help much anyway. Working at my desk is the absolute worst thing for mine, so I now have a standing desk, try to move a lot more and work 2 days at home where I try to work lying down with a massager or roller under my back/butt/hamstring/calf etc! Osteopath can’t figure out why my muscles won’t let go, we have tried massage, manipulation, acupuncture, taping, stretches etc and they just won’t give, they keep pulling me back to square one. So riding is my hour or so of salvation/relief each day. I’ve just got an inversion table so I’m going to give that a go, see if it helps decompress anything! Plus looking at my nutrition as to whether there is something lacking like magnesium that leads to my muscles being so tight.

Good luck, sciatica is absolutely miserable.

BBP

Visit site
After sciatica I found riding hurt. Well rididng is a bit of an exaggeration... I clambered on and sitting astride was agony. I went weak with the pain and had to shout on my mum so that I could lean on her to slither/collapse off the horse. Thank goodness hes close to the ground!!

There are lots of good diagrams on pinterest of stretches for sciatica. I'm working on them and core strength.

I find anything where I twist can cause little tingle of it. Ice had intermittent back pain but I got sciatica last year and not been right since. It's a weird feeling as I'm scared of triggering it and every other pain I've had I've just soldiered on through. I didnt expect riding to hurt as much as it did.

A couple of friends were trying to talk me into crossfit and even watching people do it makes me scared for backs! All that snatching and jerking would completely break me.

No words of advice other than be careful, you've only got one back!

I was really scared to try crossfit for the same reasons as I had a chronic disc issue but actually with a good coach it did the world of good for my back (I actually had a bad coach but used to be a personal trainer so knew enough to control my own technique). It improved my posture and core stability which supported my back. Thinking of going back now once a doctor will sign me off (for something else) as I felt the best I ever have when I was doing it.

Trouper

Visit site
We are all so different and it totally depends on what, where and how the pain is being activated so simply starting exercises could aggravate it. As has been said, start with a good physio and, if necessary an MRI scan so you know what you are dealing with. I realise that the cost of this might seem daunting but it could help shortcut your recovery and return to riding - and possibly prevent longer-term damage. Good luck.

saddlesore

Visit site
Thanks so much for all the replies. I’m back at the doc today to see what he says. Currently on prescription cocodamol, naproxen and diazepam and it’s only providing minimal relief. The only thing that helps currently is walking but obviously I can’t do that 24 hours a day. This current bout started by my lovely horse having the slightest stumble at walk and jolting me. Just to add to my joy I have bad knees and my awkward walking is aggravating them too. I’m feeling very sorry for myself atm I can’t lie! I’m going to investigate more of the sciatica exercises and perhaps try swimming. Sadly I can’t afford private physio- the joys of having a horse 🤣

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Following this saddlesore and hoping you can find a solution from the helpful replies.
I have sciatica too. I told the doctor about the pain. Without any investigation he said nothing could be done and told me to take painkillers which don’t help. I find I suffer after walking, cycling or swimming and occasionally after riding.
Where is best to start for help?

Fransurrey

Visit site
This current bout started by my lovely horse having the slightest stumble at walk and jolting me. Just to add to my joy I have bad knees and my awkward walking is aggravating them too.

I truly empathise with this, as my current bout was triggered in the same way - his hind leg went into a dip and jolted me a couple of weeks ago. Riding hasn't been too bad. Running helps a bit, but I need to get back into swimming, which was the only thing which cured it last time. Yoga stretches help, too. Cobra is actually bad for mine (as someone above says, what helps is determined by cause) - forward stretches are much better, so forward fold for me. I also have a gel out seat saver.

saddlesore

Visit site
Ooh I’ve been looking at seat savers! Docs basically prescribed the same stuff I’ve been taking, just at a higher dose, and have added me to physio waiting list. However it’s a minimum of a 6 week wait so even though I’m 38 my mum and dad have offered to help me pay for private treatment just now. I’ve also to go for a full body bone scan 😱 no idea what that is. I left the surgery in tears as doc basically confirmed my fears that there is no guarantee of when or if it will go away. My husband has also just been diagnosed with spinal arthritis so don’t even want to complain at home 💔 Need my horse fix to clear my head. Thinking of you all in the same boat, it’s just miserable x

foxy

Visit site
I suffered for over a year, riding or doing any exercise aggravated it. The doctor was less than helpful and its only when I saw a chiropractor who wrote to my GP to say I needed a MRI they agreed (this was even though I had private medical insurance) I had the MRI and the consultant was so horrified at the way I was treated he wrote and complained to the doctors surgery. Once they knew what it was it was succesfully treated. Good luck but I would insisting on a MRI

sherry90

Visit site
I suffered for 2 years with sciatica. I had an MRI after 1 year though which confirmed a large herniated disc that was causing the nerve pain. I still rode during this time but found my position wasn’t helping me/the horse so stuck to mainly hacking. I tried Pilates, acupuncture and physio which worked short term and I wanted to avoid surgery on the disc.

In the end it got worse to a point I wasn’t sleeping well and in quite a bit of pain daily so I had the op 4 weeks ago and already feel so much better. I’m not back in the saddle yet but hope to be very soon.

I’m not saying you have a herniated disc but as above, if your symptoms don’t ease after a few months, go back to your GP and push for an MRI.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I suffered for over a year, riding or doing any exercise aggravated it. The doctor was less than helpful and its only when I saw a chiropractor who wrote to my GP to say I needed a MRI they agreed (this was even though I had private medical insurance) I had the MRI and the consultant was so horrified at the way I was treated he wrote and complained to the doctors surgery. Once they knew what it was it was succesfully treated. Good luck but I would insisting on a MRI

Very unlikely to get MRI on NHS I paid for mine at Cobalt in Cheltenham. I have 3 large disc herniations along with bony spikes that press on the nerves. To get operated on I have to lose sensation + get weakness in my legs and become incontinent (acute cauda equina syndrome) that also gets a NHS MRI!!! Local Major teaching hospital will not accept any GP referrals to back clinics or for MRI scans. I am now pursuing complaining directly to the Medical Director as I have the MRI to prove I have fairly bad disease. I have had trouble for close to 5 years some days are good and some are bad. I am medicated with Co-codamol (v large dose) and Ibuprofen, Gabapentin has been threatened but I do not want to take that (I am a health care professional that knows rather too much about some of these drugs!!) Been down the physio/pilates/yoga route which helps when not acutely in pain but is rather short term.

Trouper

Visit site
I find it incredible that the NHS is prepared to fill us full of powerful drugs - with all their side effects - use up endless appointment slots returning with the same complaint but don't seem to see the logic of offering an MRI so that we can determine exactly what the problem is and then offer a solution which will have the patient returning to a (usually) full and active life shortly afterwards. Would like to see the cost comparisons of both these approaches - I bet the NHS is not saving much.

saddlesore

Visit site
I’m seeing an osteopath today. I’m happy to pay for a private appointment but don’t have health insurance but believe private can refer for MRI if they deem it necessary? I agree that pumping people full of drugs is NOT an acceptable long term solution. We all need to function. My docs are now adding a nerve medication that I’ve to collect today following a phone consultation, can’t remember the name though.

BBP

Visit site
The opinion of my chiro and osteo is that MRIs don’t give the full picture so I never had one. They said you can have a huge bulge and no pain or a tiny bulge and heaps of pain, but yes your osteo can refer for MRI’s (certainly they can refer for private MRIs), mine cost £250 per body part I think, for something else.

Last time I had sciatica due to bulging disc it lasted approx 3 years (it was a year before I got to see a NHS physio as I’d tolerated it for so long, then they told me if it wasnt better in 18 months then they would reassess me for MRI, at this point when lying on my back I couldn’t lift my left leg more than 4 inches off the ground straight) . This time it’s been 6 months and we think it’s trapped in a chronically tight muscle rather than a bulging disc, but can’t get the muscle to release. It’s a miserable situation so I really feel for you. Hope your osteo can help, for me making sure my hip flexors don’t get too tight helps prevent the excess tightness in my back that stresses my discs. Good luck!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Following this saddlesore and hoping you can find a solution from the helpful replies.
I have sciatica too. I told the doctor about the pain. Without any investigation he said nothing could be done and told me to take painkillers which don’t help. I find I suffer after walking, cycling or swimming and occasionally after riding.

Resurrecting this and quoting my own post as I have been to the doctors again about my pain.

This doctor listened and then pressed various places on my back and spine.

Apparently I DON’T have sciatica because the pain comes and goes too quickly. Painkillers which were previously recommended are useless in this case. The pain starts beyond my spine not in it.

I tried to tell the first doctor about a fall I had many years ago where I had come off my horse and landed on just that spot. He didn’t listen.

Today’s doctor said, obviously, it happened too long ago but stretches will help. He described, forgive my non medical description, that I had damaged myself on the edge of the bone which is also close to the nerve hence the pain.

When I go to the gym later this week I will ask for suitable stretching exercises and see if the pain decreases.
Fingers crossed.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I had a discectomy ten years ago. The NHS were brilliant. I paid for a private physio appointment but once she had diagnosed the issue I was treated within 6 months - MRI to confirm what was wrong and then the operation. I needed some physio after the op (again NHS was great) and although I still get a bit achy if I don't exercise enough my back is generally good. I live in Scotland, perhaps that's why my experience is so much better. I could barely ride when my back was at its worst but now riding is the best thing to keep me sound.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sympathy to anyone suffering at the moment. I had sciatica in the past and know how awful it can be. The only thing that helped me was doing yoga stretches and sitting in the hot tub at the gym. Eventually mine went away thank goodness. The actual riding wasn't too bad for me but sometimes I could hardly get off afterwards.

racebuddy

Visit site
i was really bad with it , couldnt ride or barley do anything , i ended up on tramadol which was the only thing that would help , i also went on the vita vibrating floor when i sent my horse to the treadmill to keep him in work , once i was ok to get back on i had to be careful and i was scared when i jumped again thinking it was going to hurt me , feel your pain xx

Jumoro

Visit site
Sorry you are suffering with sciatica - it's awful!

I've had several bouts - two of which resulted in disc surgery back in the 90's as they were caused by badly herniated discs. Subsequent to the second surgery I was very "careful" with my back (stopped riding, skating, skiing etc) but still suffered several flare-ups each year,which terrified me. I talked to various GPs over the years, who tbh were pretty unhelpful. Eventually i saw a muscular-skeletal specialist medic (privately) in 2015, who performed a really thorough evaluation of my back (which did include an MRI) and was able tor reassure me my ongoing back pain & sciatica were not related to a herniated disc and recommended a program of mobilisation and strengthening. After lots of physio, pilates and yoga i have very little back pain and only the occasional twinge of mild sciatica when my piriformis gets too tight. I'm also riding again & looking to affiliate BE next year. Sorry for a rather rambling reply, but for me the key was finding a good medic, who specialised in back problems and then a great physio.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My mother suffered with a trapped sciatic nerve for years. Started in her 40's when she was at the hairdresser having her hair washed before a set (backwards basin) and they had a window open at waist height because of the heat that day. It went into spasm later that day, absolutely immobilising her but fortunately eased quite quickly. Over the years it got more frequent, reducing her to screaming agony each time. Could never get a doctor to her because it didn't last long enough so they weren't interested as they never saw her at her worst.
In her 80's we were living with her and were frequently woken by her screaming. She would literally be unable to move even to reach her pills. By then she was being prescribed diazepam and co-codamol. She did eventually get sent for an x-ray which showed a degenerate disc. There was no suggestion of any treatment bar painkillers. The bouts now were now lasting much longer and the effects for several days. She flatly refused to see an osteo or chiro as she was afraid they might trigger a spasm.
Ironically what finally more or less sorted her was being blown over in a very bad gale. She landed across the kerb which broke her hip. Despite being mid 80's by now she sailed through the op and got back to full activiities. It was only some time later I realised she hadn't had any more back spasms. Must have jolted something back into place. Clouds and silver linings and all that.
Having had it myself I really feel for all of you that are suffering.