Scirrous cord

Cloud9

Visit site
Hi

Regarding my previous post

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=455699

Vet came back yesterday and scanned my horse again - the lump had reduced and we disccused his condition - he referred to is as Scirrous cord. He said we will not treat further and see if it comes back and is it does re-evaluate them. Me being me googled the condition and I have not slept!!!

Anyone have experience of this condition - with this i mind is surgery the best option.

thanks

KautoStar1

Visit site
Yes, I've had one. well my horse has !
He was gelded late (5) and he'd been a bit quite for a few days (a good 6 months after the gelding) and then suddenly the infection burst out of the original geld wound site. my vets treated it with heavy duty antibiotics for about 10 days but the condition didn't improve and he was refered to Leahurst for surgery. It is quite a rare condition. Anyway the infection had travelled all the way up the cord to the kidneys and the vet said it was the worst SC he'd seen in 30 years of practice (typical of my horse !!!!).

Anyway, it was removed and he was treated with further antibiotics and pain killers and for about 2 months he had the huge open wound, that had to be kept open and clean until it heeled inside out and it took careful management. I was warned there was a risk of further infection, but 18 months on and he's been fine. And all the way through the treatment he was an absolute star, model patient and never complained and it must have been awfully unpleasent for him.

I think it depends on how your horse is now and what your vet recommends. Surgery is not something to be taken lightly - the risks are high with any surgery, so it should only be done if necessary. My horse had no choice and it worked out fine for him.

Let us know how you get on.

Cloud9

Visit site
Thanks for response - my horse seems very well in himself and the onset of the problem was very sudden.

He is 13 years old and I have had him since he was 3 with no previous problems of this nature. He was already gelded when I had him so no of no complications with his castration.

It was 3 weeks yesterday to the day he presented problems - he has improved on antibiotics but obviously the lump still there.