Scoot boots vs epics

05jackd

Visit site
I have used easyboot epics for the past 8 years and had no issues. Covered 100’s miles both for pleasure and competitively but I am noticing that it’s a bit difficult to get certain sizes and replacement parts at the moment. So I am wondering about trying scoots instead as they seem more readily available.

Has anyone tried both? What would you recommend?

Horse is an ‘easy’ to fit type and think we should be fine with a 5 slim.

paddy555

Visit site
yes I have tried both extensively. I have one with hinds that twist so they need epics with up buckles. The up buckles are no longer made. I had no problem getting size 2's but sometimes it takes a couple of week for the saddlery shop to get new stock in so I plan in advance and have a spare new pair.
The scoots in theory are lovely. Easy to wash and put on. Reasonable break over and wear well and probably have one of the best grips.

However I stopped using them for 2 reasons. Firstly I found they needed mud straps in mud. The mud straps were horrendous to put on and that spoilt my rides. Without them I was wandering around looking for lost boots in mud. I had to buy coloured straps (an extra) to be able to find them in the mud. I couldn't live without mud straps and couldn't live with putting them on.

Second reason was far more serious. They gouged a large hole in the back of the pastern. Took a long time to heal. Thought it was my inefficiency at fitting but then the same thing happened on another horse who had worn them for miles. Came home and one day hole again with blood. I simply don't trust them any longer..

My horses are not alone in having the rigid back of the scoots damage the back of the feet.

What about gloves? if you are happy with epics gloves have the same sole, are easy to put on and very little different from epics.

05jackd

Visit site
yes I have tried both extensively. I have one with hinds that twist so they need epics with up buckles. The up buckles are no longer made. I had no problem getting size 2's but sometimes it takes a couple of week for the saddlery shop to get new stock in so I plan in advance and have a spare new pair.
The scoots in theory are lovely. Easy to wash and put on. Reasonable break over and wear well and probably have one of the best grips.

However I stopped using them for 2 reasons. Firstly I found they needed mud straps in mud. The mud straps were horrendous to put on and that spoilt my rides. Without them I was wandering around looking for lost boots in mud. I had to buy coloured straps (an extra) to be able to find them in the mud. I couldn't live without mud straps and couldn't live with putting them on.

Second reason was far more serious. They gouged a large hole in the back of the pastern. Took a long time to heal. Thought it was my inefficiency at fitting but then the same thing happened on another horse who had worn them for miles. Came home and one day hole again with blood. I simply don't trust them any longer..

My horses are not alone in having the rigid back of the scoots damage the back of the feet.

What about gloves? if you are happy with epics gloves have the same sole, are easy to put on and very little different from epics.

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I stared with gloves but found they were just not quite snug enough to stop them coming off which is how I originally started using epics. But worth a shot to revisit them. I still have a couple of pairs.

I'm Dun

Visit site
Have a look at Flex. I am utterly thrilled with mine and the customer service has been outstanding. My chestnut, thin skinned TB has worn then 24/7 for 10 days with no rubs to him or visibile wear to the boots. They are easy to put on and take off. And he is happy and confident in them. They are also more forgiving size wise than the website leads you to believe. Mines not been out of shoes that long and still has a lot of distortion, but we've managed to get a pair of flexs to fit really well.

A non horsey friend saw them today and said they were nice enough for him to wear to the gym, and thats a pretty good descripition. Light, soft, flexible but much stronger than they look

paddy555

Visit site
probably worth re visiting the gloves and considering the front straps.

If you search on here for flex there have been a few recent threads.
I currently have gloves but the grip is not quite good enough so I am going to try a pair of flex. If it wasn't for the slightly less grip I would never change from the gloves, I think they are really good boots and they last.

I don't think the flex are going to last as well as the gloves so will stick with gloves for roads/stony tracks where they have lots of life and maybe move onto the flex for slippy grass/mud.

I'm Dun, did you get them after the last couple of threads? Good to see you like them. :D

Zuzan

Visit site
Thanks. That’s really helpful. I stared with gloves but found they were just not quite snug enough to stop them coming off which is how I originally started using epics. But worth a shot to revisit them. I still have a couple of pairs.
I found using athletic tape on the hoof wall before putting the gloves really keeps the shell in place so well that the gaitor bit is really just there as precautionary .. here's vid
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I like the scoots but only use them on roads and have had mild rubs on the backs. Solved for us with the endurance gaters.

My next choice would be to looked the flex boots. But I've only had experience with Cavallo (really don't like) and scoots.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I'm Dun, did you get them after the last couple of threads? Good to see you like them. :D

Yup. Good timing as he was ready to come out of his cavellos and into a performance type boot. They are incredibly tough. They feel flimsy but just arent. Mine has to be padded as they can feel big stones through them, and he needed them for fit anyway, I'm thrilled with them and the help they gave me.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I went from Epics to Scoots with mud straps on the fronts and prefer them because there is no soggy muddy velcro . I haven't had any trouble with rubs but I think it depends a lot on heel height. I don't use gaiters .
I think people have problems with mud straps because they try and attach them with the boot on which is difficult.
I never remove the mud straps from the boot once they are attached, I just put the slider down then put the hoof through the strap taking care it doesn't come off the front strap as I put the boot on, run the slider up and fasten the front straps. It hardly takes any longer than putting scoots on without them. If you can't get the hoof through the strap either cut the slider smaller or buy bigger mud straps

paddy555

Visit site
I went from Epics to Scoots with mud straps on the fronts and prefer them because there is no soggy muddy velcro . I haven't had any trouble with rubs but I think it depends a lot on heel height. I don't use gaiters .
I think people have problems with mud straps because they try and attach them with the boot on which is difficult.
I never remove the mud straps from the boot once they are attached, I just put the slider down then put the hoof through the strap taking care it doesn't come off the front strap as I put the boot on, run the slider up and fasten the front straps. It hardly takes any longer than putting scoots on without them. If you can't get the hoof through the strap either cut the slider smaller or buy bigger mud straps

problem was not leaving the strap on the boot, I did that. Problem was getting the strap through the slider. Just couldn't get a less rigid strap through such a narrow rigid slider. I heated the slider, tried to stretch it, used some serious workshop tools to try to stretch it wider. Had several different mud straps sent, spent a long time communicating with scoot in Aus and still couldn't get it to go through easily.

Gloi

Visit site
problem was not leaving the strap on the boot, I did that. Problem was getting the strap through the slider. Just couldn't get a less rigid strap through such a narrow rigid slider. I heated the slider, tried to stretch it, used some serious workshop tools to try to stretch it wider. Had several different mud straps sent, spent a long time communicating with scoot in Aus and still couldn't get it to go through easily.
I found it hard to get through too but I managed to wiggle them through before the boot went near a hoof and once through I have never let them come out again. I keep the mud straps with the slider on permanently attached to the lower front strap of the boot. Apart from once when I first got them I have never tried to get the strap through the slider when on a hoof, that is a pita.

Gloi

Visit site
I found it hard to get through too but I managed to wiggle them through before the boot went near a hoof and once through I have never let them come out again. I keep the mud straps with the slider on permanently attached to the lower front strap of the boot. Apart from once when I first got them I have never tried to get the strap through the slider when on a hoof, that is a pita.
The first set of mud straps were a bit small and I cut the slider down in size to help the hoof fit through. Next time I bought the next size up straps to give more room. Boots have never come off.