Scottish Fresians does anyone know them?

frozzy

Visit site
One of the girls who rides my ponies has just been told her OH and parents have been saving up for ages and now have the money to spend on her dream horse- which happens to be a Friesian. I know nothing about this breed but one has been sourced 3 hours from us and she is travelling up tomorow to try it. She is very novice, small (5ft.) Not what I would have chosen for her but its her dream to have one (think 11 years old sees black beastie flowing mane etc etc) . Her parents I know are trying to give her a dream but I do think they are rushing into parting with £5 and a half K without going into this unemotionally.
So does anyone know these Scottish Fresian people? Are they reputable and not likely to sell an unsuitable mare to a novice. She has been told the same old speil as in someone coming on Friday to try so you must rush up to see it tomorow.! I cannot go at such short notice (work) but she is determined to go. Heart ruling head. All I know is they were bred for driving and as such big movers (she is very insecure in her seat.) likely to be fiesty.
Once she has parted with her money it will be her problem if its not right!

sugarpuff

Visit site
I'm afraid I do not know Scottish Friesians, so can not help you there. However, my sister has had a friesian and I have ridden quite a few before finding my horse as I was going to share with my sister initially.

They are fantastic horses to ride....HOWEVER....

For a novice, generally, I would not recommend them, especially if you are not very confident, or secure in your seat, like you say. If you have never ridden one, their movement can be quite big and their head carriage is quite high, which for some people can be unnerving. Some, but not all, can be fiery, my sister's had a fantastic nature, and was a bit more chilled than some, but she did need a confident rider, which my sister was not. I was lucky enough to have lessons on about 6 different friesians over about 6 months, and on the whole they can be quite "hot", especially the better bred ones which have been graded. I have ridden "ploddy" ones and those capable of doing Grand Prix level dressage, and they truely are an amazing breed, but you do need to know what you are doing. They are highly intelligent and sensitive, and can be very versatile.

The problem is, the good ones stay in Holland, the bad ones tend to get sent over here, so unless you go abroad or the uk dealer has VERY good contacts, you are not likely to get a good friesian, not for £5.5k. (Unless you are lucky! and the dealer is very honest.) If it is a good quality friesian and has been graded, it may be quite highly strung as they are often handled by big men who tend to get them wound up and excited to show them off at the gradings. (I know first hand as we nearly bought one that had just come over from Holland and had been graded and was too much horse for me. It needed to chill in a field for 6 months really.)

My sister's had been driven in the past, which had resulted in the horse being quite "dead to leg" and it also had capped hocks. In Holland they are often kept in big herds, in small barns and never allowed in a field (most of the grass over there is for their cows!) so some are not used to big open spaces and being on their own so can tend to nap if you are not confident.

Obviously, she may be lucky, but just thought I'd share my experiences!

monikirk

Visit site
Please check out the Friesian Horse Society web site - there's lots of info and people on the forum are very helpful

http://www.fhagbi.co.uk/

My friesian is a big mover so I never try sitting trot! But he's a safe ride - he always taking the lead if anything looks remotely dodgy! :D

frozzy

Visit site
I could get her an Olympia quality dales from bill ireland !! But I seriously think she and her parents will not be swayed from the Friesian !!
Tears before bedtime methinks!!!

madlady

Visit site
There are other places to buy a good friesian from in the UK and rushing into buying one 'blind' without having done any proper research could be a mistake.

Yes it is true that the majority of friesians are still bred on the continent and of course they will keep the best for themselves, however, there are a few people in the UK who breed quality on a small scale.

It is also possible to go and buy directly from Holland - I've always found the studs over there to be very very helpful but you would need to know what lines you are looking for.

If they are desperate to go and look at a friesian however then there is a good 'breed standard' on the FHAGBI website and also on the FPS-Studbook website. The things to look out for are - on the papers then on the dam side you want the mares to be Ster, or Model. The sire should be a good approved stallion - again you can get a good idea of how good a stallion is from the FPS-Studbook website, there is a page on there for breeding values and this will show how many mares the stallion has covered - split year by year, how many foals as a result of those coverings and how many of those foals achieved a premie.

As for them not being a horse for a novice I would tend to disagree on that. I have 5 now and find them to be very forgiving, steady, calm, willing. The big trot takes a bit of getting used to, but I actually quite like having all that neck in front of me - I never feel as if I'm going to tip off anyway. My ster mare is from a 'sport' line and supposedly 'hot' - she's a bit of a one person horse but still very very easy to deal with.

Freyannia

New User
Visit site
If it is Friesians Scotland in Perth you are referring to then you will be looked after. She doesn't mind you going for a look and a chat even when you are just thinking about the breed. You can then ride your chosen horse a few times in the school, hacking or sometimes on pleasure/trail rides before deciding to buy. She is soooo helpful. I have been chatting to her for a few months now as I intend to buy a horse from her to use as a broodmare/ happy hacker once I have sold my eventing youngster who because of hubby's illness I don't have time for :(...

Anyways she is brilliant, you can contact her through her website or Facebook xx

Venevidivici

Visit site
IME of the breed,ditto what Sugarpuff says. Also,there is an extremely dodgy Scottish Friesian dealer who has links with an equally dodgy Northern/Midlands one-they import the poor specimens for dirt cheap,sell them for loads& swap the stock they can't shift(hock problems etc etc) with each other,in order to reach a wider market of exactly the kind of buyer you describe,who wants a stunning black horse with flowing mane....who just also might have a raft of veterinary problems and be completely unsuitable for them as a rider/owner. Trading Standards have a file open on these and Friesian Horse Society are very aware of them,so speak to them first! No matter how good a rider she is,I think they are too much horse for an 11yr old...sorry:(

Freyannia

New User
Visit site
I think the 'dealers' in Scotland is based in Glasgow. I have come across several ads for friesians for under£1000 with no pictures. Not good!

Friesians Scotland however is reputable I assure you and ask you to have your horse vetted before purchase. They won't actively sell you a horse, they have you buy from them if you know what I mean. She also breeds her own for health and ability and trains them for dressage. They are not cheap mind you.

For an 11 yr old a friesian is probably not the right horse but I am a little worried friesians Scotland is going to get tarred with the same brush as these unreputable dealers.

All I am saying is if you are in Scotland and looking to buy a friesian check out their website and Facebook page where you can speak to people who have bought from them before deciding that they are not a reputable establishment. Xx

Jnhuk

Visit site
One of the girls who rides my ponies has just been told her OH and parents have been saving up for ages and now have the money to spend on her dream horse- which happens to be a Friesian. I know nothing about this breed but one has been sourced 3 hours from us and she is travelling up tomorow to try it. She is very novice, small (5ft.) Not what I would have chosen for her but its her dream to have one (think 11 years old sees black beastie flowing mane etc etc) . Her parents I know are trying to give her a dream but I do think they are rushing into parting with £5 and a half K without going into this unemotionally.
So does anyone know these Scottish Fresian people? Are they reputable and not likely to sell an unsuitable mare to a novice. She has been told the same old speil as in someone coming on Friday to try so you must rush up to see it tomorow.! I cannot go at such short notice (work) but she is determined to go. Heart ruling head. All I know is they were bred for driving and as such big movers (she is very insecure in her seat.) likely to be fiesty.
Once she has parted with her money it will be her problem if its not right!

Have you expressed your concerns to her, her OH and/or parents? Once you have, then you have to let it go at that. Point her in the direction of this forum with some of folks experiences to see if they can stop her heart buying over her head. Getting her OH involved may temper things. In the end, if she is stubborn and set upon the idea, you may be the one that she turns to when things go wrong. Better that she still has someone to turn to rather than alienating her altogether.

If the breeders are responsible, they will not sell one of their horses to her if she is genuinely too novice and unable to cope with the breed. However, if there are doubts that the breeders would do this, then I think you need to raise your concerns with her and her OH. Are you planning on going with her when she goes to view or perhaps you could suggest someone else experienced who she respects to give an unbiased view although if it is happening tomorrow it is a little too late.

frozzy

Visit site
This post is now a year old!
The mare was totally unsuitable and fortunately a friend went along to keep the visit grounded. She did not buy the friesian but did get a lovely coloured cob cross who is lovely and much more enjoyable for my friend.