Scottish National

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Well done to the trainer and the team for their 1,2.

I enjoyed watching them come home in that order, my account was healthier for it?.

Hope the faller was ok.

Clodagh

Visit site
Sadly Jersey Bean had to be PTS. Looked like he broke something on the flat between fences. Very sad
It looked fatal. Horrible. And Honey Bee didn’t deserve that fall (not that they ever do) I hate those really small eyed blinkers that I think she was wearing. She suddenly got exhausted and had nothing to give.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
It looked fatal. Horrible. And Honey Bee didn’t deserve that fall (not that they ever do) I hate those really small eyed blinkers that I think she was wearing. She suddenly got exhausted and had nothing to give.

Those blinkers were horrible, I hate blinkers in general, I don't mind cheekpieces but hers looked particularly horrible. If she hadn't had them on she'd have been able to see the horse coming as well. She was having to be driven for most of the first circuit as well.

You could see poor JB was quite clearly terminal as the field left him behind his leg was at a sickening angle. I couldn't really see what happened to him, apparently he broke his leg on the flat? I was surprised to see him still standing when they came round again on the second circuit, it was clear what needed to be done, though you could see he'd gone on the final circuit as the jockey was stood there with the saddle

Who makes the decision on pts obviously JB it was the only decision but what about ones where treatment could be attempted?

Carrottom

Visit site
Those blinkers were horrible, I hate blinkers in general, I don't mind cheekpieces but hers looked particularly horrible. If she hadn't had them on she'd have been able to see the horse coming as well. She was having to be driven for most of the first circuit as well.

You could see poor JB was quite clearly terminal as the field left him behind his leg was at a sickening angle. I couldn't really see what happened to him, apparently he broke his leg on the flat? I was surprised to see him still standing when they came round again on the second circuit, it was clear what needed to be done, though you could see he'd gone on the final circuit as the jockey was stood there with the saddle

Who makes the decision on pts obviously JB it was the only decision but what about ones where treatment could be attempted?
If it is on the race course itself then I believe two vets need to be in agreement, obviously this would be a safeguard. If the horse is taken back to the race course stables then the trainer and/or owner would be involved.

Visit site
Perhaps the owner(s) wanted the chance to say goodbye??

Nope. If it is a catastrophic injury then the vets in the car going round the inside make the decision and there is no arguing it. If it's debatable or they don't know exactly what is wrong the horses will be patched up and loaded up into the ambulance and taken back to the stable yard for further assessment. From there on in the trainer is involved and the fate of the horse lies with them.

Birker2020

Visit site
RIP sweetheart. Says fell, injured, destroyed. Normally when they break a leg it states broken near hind, off fore, etc. So not sure if it was a break of AA not up to date with information.

1649068492231.png1649068601101.png

Visit site
Jersey Bean broke a leg on the flat between 2 fences. I don't know which leg.

Racehorse Death Watch - don't take what it says on there as gospel. I have emailed them 3x over the years to get horses removed off of their list that were alive and well and provided photographic evidence of them still breathing, eating, farting and sleeping. They just hadn't raced again after a fall which gave them an injury.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Nope. If it is a catastrophic injury then the vets in the car going round the inside make the decision and there is no arguing it. If it's debatable or they don't know exactly what is wrong the horses will be patched up and loaded up into the ambulance and taken back to the stable yard for further assessment. From there on in the trainer is involved and the fate of the horse lies with them.
Thank you ELF I am very grateful for your knowledge.