Scouring - Beet advice

Balibee

Visit site
Hiya

My horse has been scouring recently.
He is healthy/shiny/happy and his poos are normal he just squirts at the end and it ends up down his beack end.

I have had a consutation over the phone with my vet and he has prescribed some codiene/pre biotics and suggested I stop the HI FI nuts and just give chaff with an unmollassed beet.

There is an amazing array of beets out there!

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a particular beet which would be suitable?

Thanks
:)

nemo_

Visit site
I use Speedibeet as it's quick soak, as is Kwikbeet (Dodson and Horrell) and Equibeet is also unmollassed but needs soaking for longer.

beeswax

Visit site
IMO - use it dont use it stuff - dont you think this is pretty normal as the beet is obviously soaked with a large amount of water so his feed has a lot of moisture in it which is causing this and i would rather a horse squirted at the end of his business than was bone dry and ended up with impaction colic.

Smile_and_Wave

Visit site
you want something qutie low molassed like speeid beet or kwik beet, when you soak it it should be paler in colour that traditional older types of sugarbeet which can be very dark and sweet smelling, that should help, and then i would maybe try some kind of probiotic or digestive supplement to help, a clients horse tends to be very loose and is coloured so its great fun getting him clean, she put him on NAFs Haylage balancer and it does really seem to of made a difference and he is much better now

Balibee

Visit site
IMO - use it dont use it stuff - dont you think this is pretty normal as the beet is obviously soaked with a large amount of water so his feed has a lot of moisture in it which is causing this and i would rather a horse squirted at the end of his business than was bone dry and ended up with impaction colic.

He isn't on beet, I have never fed it, it is the vet that is advising it.

I get what you mean about rather squirting than bone dry but he is not just squirting a bit of liquid, it is running down his back legs and it is not pleasant for either of us. In the almost 3 years I ahve had him he has always had good moist poos with a small amount of liquid but it has increased recently where I am washing his back end almost daily.

:)

Balibee

Visit site
you want something qutie low molassed like speeid beet or kwik beet, when you soak it it should be paler in colour that traditional older types of sugarbeet which can be very dark and sweet smelling, that should help, and then i would maybe try some kind of probiotic or digestive supplement to help, a clients horse tends to be very loose and is coloured so its great fun getting him clean, she put him on NAFs Haylage balancer and it does really seem to of made a difference and he is much better now

Thanks :) He has always been on pink powder but the vet suggested stopping that and putting him on a pro biotic for a while, so that's the next thing to try. :)