Scrap value of 5.5 ton lorry?

clait

Visit site
Hi, my lorry went into the garage end of July, they phoned today saying it needs £1200-£1500 spent on it.
The parts only come to £250 the rest will be for some welding, labour and VAT.
so looks like i will have to scrap it, anybody know what i am likely to get scrap value?

bitlessbill

Visit site
Not sure what the current rate for scap metal is but think it's done on weight, so much per ton and your box probably weighs about 4 ton? Maybe phone your local scrap yard. Are there any good bits you could sell for parts before scrapping?

clait

Visit site
Yes we will strip it out, has cooker, fridge, rug racks, good solid floor with thick rubber. Such a shame but i only use it six times a year so will hire a lorry .

Archina

Visit site
Ive just went through the same thing with my lorry. About a grands worth of welding needing done on it, my garage told me to see if i could find a welder myself as garage prices for welding is expensive. In reality if i found a welder myself it would cost about half the price.
I phoned a scrap yard and they told me £120 per tonne, am sure other scrap yards have different prices. Ive only phoned the 1 as iam still holding out hope of finding a welder :rolleyes:

If not then we are taking the body off and placing it behind the stables for my new tack room and hay shed then scrapping the chassis. :p

PS Scrapyard also said i would have to remove the wheels! :O lol

Last edited:

lcharles

Visit site
I do know that scrap yards deduct money for things like tyres, seats, plastics etc x Maybe best to get a quote from a local gyspy. They like metal :D x

be positive

Visit site
I would not just scrap it, there may be someone out there happy to spend £250 on parts that can do the work themselves if otherwise ok a friend sold her old box for £1k to someone that was going to do it up and put it back on the road.

There are 3 ads regularly in H&H for lorries in any condition running or not, they will probably give more than a local scrap merchant will.

clait

Visit site
Thank you, just been offerd £450 from the scrap man, i paid £3000 for it just over a year ago:( feel slightly stupid and ripped off as it has only done 500 miles between MOTs.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Stick it on ebay with all its known faults - someone will buy it.

Put £450 as a starting bid so at least you will get that - if not more!

clait

Visit site
Well my lorry is to be scraped on Monday:(, so today i am going to take out the floor,rubber mats, windows,cooker,fridge, bridle, saddle and rug racks.
I hope i can find someone who is building a lorry or refurbishing one so i can get some money back.

navaho

Visit site
Well my lorry is to be scraped on Monday:(, so today i am going to take out the floor,rubber mats, windows,cooker,fridge, bridle, saddle and rug racks.
I hope i can find someone who is building a lorry or refurbishing one so i can get some money back.

i think your mad to scrap it when there is a good chance someone would bite your arm off for it.

clait

Visit site
Well i have looked on ebay and they are not making much, also it has no mot and the tax runs out at the end of the month.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hi, my lorry went into the garage end of July, they phoned today saying it needs £1200-£1500 spent on it.
The parts only come to £250 the rest will be for some welding, labour and VAT.
so looks like i will have to scrap it, anybody know what i am likely to get scrap value?

Owning lorrys specially the older ones can be expensive, I know as I've spent loads on mine but don't just consider scrapping it. If you are considering scapping it & getting other transport then consider what that will cost you? To replace your lorry will cost thousands in addition to the loss of your £3000 initial purchase price. To buy a decent trainler will cost you over £1000 probably & then you'll need a vehicle capable of towing it which will push the cost up tremendously. When you take everything into consideration, although £12-1500 is alot of money it may be worth spending. At least you will have a sound lorry that you can use & quite possibly it will be the cheapest way of having horse transport?

Just a thought :)

christine48

Visit site
You are mad to scrap it, you couldn't replace it with a trailer or another lorry for £1000 plus you'll be £2500 out of pocket. I'd spend the money then sell it, at least that way you'll be less out of pocket.

navaho

Visit site
Well i have looked on ebay and they are not making much, also it has no mot and the tax runs out at the end of the month.

Well surely its better to try & sell it as it is before resorting to scrapping it? I know if i had the money & you were local & it was the right price id probably bite your arm off, as im sure many others would as well. Seems such a waste.

Herpesas

Visit site
I would agree with trying eBay before scrapping it, especially as a lot of people would like a 5.5t as they need more than a 3.5t but less than a 7.5t.

If I could have had a nice reasonably priced 5.5t that needed a bit of work, I would have gone for it but I couldn't - rare as hen's teeth when I was looking.