Scurfy/Dandruffy skin?

ellerslie83

Visit site
My OH's horse is a big 14 year old cob, very good doer, shiny coat, picture of health apart from an old ligament injury and the odd bit of creaking here and there, he's very lightly used as a hack. He used to be on full livery and be a dressage horse and now lives out all year - yet he's always had this dandruffy type skin flaking going on - I can just keep brushing and brushing and it keeps coming...he rolls a lot and rubs himself on anything that stands still long enough a judging by the hair on the shelter - so guess this might mean he must feel fairly itchy?? He's got no signs of any nasties, baldy bits, no sores, cuts weeping/redness etc so don't think it's serious as such, but obviously if there's a way of making him more comfortable I'd like to try?!

Is this just how he is and nothing I can do or is there a supplement that might help - without putting weight on him?

SadKen

Visit site
Mine has been scurfy and itchy too, but he had rain scald and I think his immune system was suffering. It's helped to give him a hibiscrub bath to get as much scurf as possible out. Then I stuck him on a balancer for feed etc. I think as well that dry skin causes scurf so gave him micronised linseed to oil him up inside, and when I groom I put some pig oil and sulphur on a body brush (not much!) And really brush that in. So far he seems better! Good luck!

ibot

Visit site
Hey

so I have a big hairy too and I have noticed the last couple of years he has been the same but this year I have been giving him feedmark skin food supplement and I have had no scruffy stuff at all, he is a SI suffer so maybe this might help with that too shall wait and see.

In this powder is linseed oil and brewers yeast and I am sure lots of yummy other things :D I have also been putting oil into his food but that is only a recent addition as he seems v v dry on his face from where the face mask has rubbed.

good luck hope I was some sort of help
xx

Baluga

Visit site
My cob has bad dandruff on her mane (or where it should be, seeing as she's hogged!) I use head & shoulders when she has a bath. Seems to work wonders