Searching for next horse, lots of lovely mares, but want a gelding.

jedjelly

Visit site
Been seeking my husband next horse as his old boy is about to retire and I'm not having much joy. Certainly some super mares out there, but I need a gelding. That's not something I can be flexible on sadly. Would any of you lovely people know of a boy suitable out there?

Happy to buy private, or through a decent dealer. Must be able to carry 15 stone. Young, a four/five/six year old would be ideal. Irish draught, draught cross or type. No feather (been there done that!), good in traffic, hack alone and in company and be a generally nice person to have around. Like a can-do attitude. We hack a lot, day trips, fun rides, beach, forests wherever we can and we like to crack on with it too. Home for life for the right horse. Decent budget.

Any suggestions, gladly considered.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I feel your pain! I'm also looking for a gelding at the moment and it would seem that practically everything for sale is a mare! ....or a colt.....or a stallion!

I will keep my ear to the ground as I search myself - what area are you in/ prepared to travel to roughly OP?

stormox

Visit site
Can I ask why you want a mare? Are you on a geldings only yard? Orher horse not get on with mares? I prefer mares but if looking for a new horse sex wouldn't come into it.

Melody Grey

Visit site
There are some parts of that ad that would cause alarm bells, particularly can't be ridden at viewing.

Why do people do this! grrrr! If it's for sale as a ridden horse, then be prepared to demonstrate that. If it's for sale as an unridden project, then price it accordingly. If you want proper money and can't/ won't get on it, send it to sales livery or get a pro on it.

jedjelly

Visit site

Yep, I'd have a look at him but only if he was riding, I'd call and have a chat. But not 'sold from the field' too much doubt.

I just want a nice, honest young horse, shown to be doing what he's claimed capable of. Don't need perfect or a world beater, but I do want riding and happy.

jedjelly

Visit site
Can I ask why you want a mare? Are you on a geldings only yard? Orher horse not get on with mares? I prefer mares but if looking for a new horse sex wouldn't come into it.

If I didn't have a boy that was silly with mares, I would happily own one. Shame because I've seen so many smart mares for sale.

jedjelly

Visit site
I feel your pain! I'm also looking for a gelding at the moment and it would seem that practically everything for sale is a mare! ....or a colt.....or a stallion!

I will keep my ear to the ground as I search myself - what area are you in/ prepared to travel to roughly OP?

I would consider any area at this stage! :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
its always the same if you want a gelding they are all mares and vice versa .
if you live in Northumberland they are all in Cornwall .
if you want a young draught why not look in Ireland ?
Do you look at the ID page on Facebook ?

Jules111

Visit site
Why do people do this! grrrr! If it's for sale as a ridden horse, then be prepared to demonstrate that. If it's for sale as an unridden project, then price it accordingly. If you want proper money and can't/ won't get on it, send it to sales livery or get a pro on it.

Big alarm bells when there are photos of horse being ridden then ad states it wont' be ridden during viewings. Screams something is being hidden here, behaviour or injury? I suppose it could be very nervous owner but I wouldn't take the risk and wouldn't waste my time viewing.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m suspicious of that advert. Very cheap for what should be a good horse. Why wouldn’t you just re-introduce the horse to ridden work to sell for a better price? Get him out to one or two shows? It’s what our yard does, gets the horse working, goes to a few shows, introduces horses to new experiences like a xc course, even just to look at.

Goldenstar

Visit site
He’s a type you could do something with but it’s dodgy the whole cant be ridden thing .
To much of a risk for a family horse .
A dealer will bid them and take him to turnover .
I wish him a long and happy life .

Squeak

Visit site
Have a look at Irish Horse Imports. They get some cracking 4/5 yo irish horses that would be capable of what you're looking for. You'd also be able to look at a few at the same time.