Pictures Seasonal coat changes

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
This years surprise coat colour offering from Mim is…

A murky, coppery gold colour with bright white spots.

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2908.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

Compared to previous years around the same dates.

Gold with some white flecks

0722690A-E5D6-4299-9E5F-814E304005DA.jpeg

Looking a lot like tinned caramel

06F33174-379F-40A4-A5CF-3F57B2F5C35F.jpeg

Gorgeous gold year and very solid colour

2AF50830-0FC3-452A-933C-038CFFF85755.jpeg

Strange browny copper thing - and so small 🤣 I miss this stage!
5285EDBC-9B28-4715-A375-82E6509DFA08.jpeg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Its funny how the coat changes I must say Arabi is always the same each year really, but Louis is so different he has a patchy coat this year with a random white bit here and there, and his got some strange cobwebbing at the top of his back legs.

I will get some pictures later its very odd for a bay horse.

She is looking very lovely as usual though 😍

reynold

Visit site
My WHW pony is bay roan and sometimes strawberry roan. Her coat colour is constantly changing.

When I got her it was march a few years ago and her passport said roan but she looked more bright bay, then summer coat came thru with all the white hair. In winter she almost has a white dorsal stripe. In summer she has almost lightning stripes of white in amongst the roan on most of her body.

The only part that is consistently baybrown is her shoulder muscle.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
I think they’re often called ‘Birdcatcher Spots’. Our chestnut gelding has got them in the summer for the last 3 years. They come through in different places and then disappear when he gets his winter coat. I thought the swallows were leaving their droppings on him at first 🤣

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
The spots might be vitiligo. I've heard it's common in some Arabian lines.

That’s so interesting, thanks for suggesting.

Looking at a few papers, it seems like there is an immune system link, and a relationship to the grey gene which has been so prolific in the Arab.

I may get her onto an immune supplement and see if there is any difference. Not that I mind my spotty adolescent visually, just that if it is linked to some internal stress then I want to support her with that.

I think they’re often called ‘Birdcatcher Spots’. Our chestnut gelding has got them in the summer for the last 3 years. They come through in different places and then disappear when he gets his winter coat. I thought the swallows were leaving their droppings on him at first 🤣

That’s what I thought they might be but I didn’t know they could be so big. Are your horse’s as large?

My PRE had those spots. A friend's mare did too, and she had some Arab in her.

It does seem like that Arab blood is linked somehow.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Looking at a few papers, it seems like there is an immune system link, and a relationship to the grey gene which has been so prolific in the Arab.

Which would be interesting regarding PRE's too because there was/is a lot of grey going on within that breed too. I've only seen 2 PRE's with the spots so far. I remember testing mine and looking at everything at first wondering if it was a deficiency in something. Nothing to be found.

Visit site
I wish I had taken a picture of the lad I had racing today. Dry he is a lovely bay. When soaking wet you can see loads and loads of pink spots on his skin all across him both sides.

dominobrown

Visit site
Your horse is stunning btw... like a barbie princess pony!

White spots on. chestnut often go back Aboud (not sure about spelling ,Arab stallion though, will ask Arab breeding expert friend). How is your mare bred?

Visit site
Oh that’s fascinating - so he looks normal and then he’s a closet spotty?

Definitely no spotty genes in this one. They don't exist in thoroughbreds. A reverse one as their skin is usually pink then black under the spots isnt it? But yes a bog standard bay then very weird underneath. I will try to remember to take pics next time.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Your horse is stunning btw... like a barbie princess pony!

White spots on. chestnut often go back Aboud (not sure about spelling ,Arab stallion though, will ask Arab breeding expert friend). How is your mare bred?

Thank you, I adore her.

She is 80.3% Arab, and the rest is riding pony, thoroughbred, welsh, really all sorts.

IMG_3005.jpeg

I’ve looked into some of her arab ancestors and it’s amazing how similar they look, all the way back to the late 1800s. There is a line of chestnuts with distinctive blazes and similar socks, and such familiar carriage and conformation, with the last being desert bred so untraceable from there.

Found one.

IMG_3010.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I didn't know she had Balaton in her breeding a bit further back he is the sire of both of my 2's Dam's😁

Someone tracked me down a few weeks back as they own Arabi's half brother and they so look alike, I like looking at breed lines abd comparing horses it's so interesting.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I didn't know she had Balaton in her breeding a bit further back he is the sire of both of my 2's Dam's😁

Someone tracked me down a few weeks back as they own Arabi's half brother and they so look alike, I like looking at breed lines abd comparing horses it's so interesting.

It’s fascinating isn’t it. So they are some kind of distant cousins 😊 I love looking at all the old photographs too, and how various traits have been passed down.

Visit site

It's kind of the same with TB's. We have a lot of Walk In The Park's at the moment and all bar 1 are big, rangey Bay horses, the odd one out is small. Most are plain bay with a tiny touch of white somewhere. Sox is not your typical WITP as he is mahogany bay with 4 bug white socks and a big white face. He is also relatively sane (a worrier but sane) the rest are bat poop crazy! And it's not just ours, the majority of WITP's are cuckoo!

Milan's tend to be lovely tempremented horses but can worry. Mostly bay and 90% have exactly the same shape of head.

Bloodlines are truly fascinating things.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It’s fascinating isn’t it. So they are some kind of distant cousins 😊 I love looking at all the old photographs too, and how various traits have been passed down.
Yes kind of I did print all of the photos I could find of Arabi's ancestors years ago I think my sister has them somewhere.

Louis is the image of his mum he even moves like her they have the same skinny little tail as well, but Arabi is a mix of both really you can definitely see bits in him.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's kind of the same with TB's. We have a lot of Walk In The Park's at the moment and all bar 1 are big, rangey Bay horses, the odd one out is small. Most are plain bay with a tiny touch of white somewhere. Sox is not your typical WITP as he is mahogany bay with 4 bug white socks and a big white face. He is also relatively sane (a worrier but sane) the rest are bat poop crazy! And it's not just ours, the majority of WITP's are cuckoo!

Milan's tend to be lovely tempremented horses but can worry. Mostly bay and 90% have exactly the same shape of head.

Bloodlines are truly fascinating things.
There are definitely Arab lines I would avoid as they have a reputation for being a bit nuts, but every Balaton horse I have ever known have been amazing.

Arabi's Dam Balenina has loads of foals and all of her stock are lovely and they have the prettiest heads.