Seat Belts?

KJJ

Visit site
Was thinking whilst driving today...

How many people use dog seat belts/harnesses in the car?

Finn (my ridgeback) is too big too fit in the 'boot' section of my hatchback (Golf GTi) so goes on the back seat...

After the adverts.. "you'll know the person that kills you and they'll sit back down" it made me think 1) about the safety/security of my dog and 2) the safety of the front passenger and me the driver of the car...

Finn's 8 stone - so basically a person!!

Any recommendations if you do use them?

Ta x

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
http://www.shop-com.co.uk/op/~(HI_CRAFT)...80?sourceid=309

try this link, I use one of these for my Jack Russell and a friend has one for his Retirever. I work in a pet shop and sell loads of these and no-one has ever complained about them. They are easy to fit and can be used to walk the dog too.

I never used to use one until a friend was quite badly injured by her Cairn Terrier when she had an accident, doggy was fine though, but friend had whiplash for ages.

polaris

Visit site
You are wise to think about it Kj!!!! We got a high craft for Hazzie pup when he was a pup and the idea was totally debunked by my elder brother who is a mechanical engineer. He said it would be pretty useless against an adult weighted dog and the only way to be sure was to have something bolted to the mainframe on the car. Yes in an accident undoubtedly the dog would be killed but your life would be saved. A sobering thought but he also warned us that if we had a 30mph rear shunt with Haz in, he would pretty much have to hose us out. It scares me to death and think there is definitely some gap in the market for larger dog harnesses. You would literally have to seat belt your dog in to be safe.

polaris

Visit site
I know but unfortunately the clips are plastic that attach the harness around the dog itself if my memory serves me well and these would just snap with any sort of force a medium/larger dog would subject them too.

polaris

Visit site
Absolutely Honeymum....I am really mindful of this as our dogs weighs in at 80KG. Be interesting to see if there is anything on the market.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I have a Hi-Craft harness for my JR, think someone has posted a link to it above.
smile.gif

KJJ

Visit site
Thanks HM .. will be looking into a harness that fits the boy... or will only have to travel one dog in the boot and shoe horn finn in and leave tinks behind!!!
tongue.gif

KJJ

Visit site
Thanks P, I think I'm going to have to look into a grate... or inform OH that I HAVE to drive the freelander ALL the time!!
grin.gif
wink.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My parents have seat belts for their two dogs, the dogs are much happier in those on the back seat than in the boot.

[/ QUOTE ]Finn seems happier on teh back seat - not sure if he will with the harness... we will see
tongue.gif

kibob

Visit site

Scarey thought isn't it, have to say that advert has crossed my mind a few times
crazy.gif

To be honest, I don't think it will make a difference which car you are driving. The weight of the dog is such that I think they would crash through anything. As you know, I've got a County Defender Stationwagon, huge vehicle but I still think Ki could crash through on to the kids or me if we had a rear end smack. I am possibly looking into having a dog guard welded in place, don't even know if this would help unless the guard itself is specially made and very heavy duty (perhaps I'll get a trailer
wink.gif
.)

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Scarey thought isn't it, have to say that advert has crossed my mind a few times
crazy.gif

To be honest, I don't think it will make a difference which car you are driving. The weight of the dog is such that I think they would crash through anything. As you know, I've got a County Defender Stationwagon, huge vehicle but I still think Ki could crash through on to the kids or me if we had a rear end smack. I am possibly looking into having a dog guard welded in place, don't even know if this would help unless the guard itself is specially made and very heavy duty (perhaps I'll get a trailer
wink.gif
.)

[/ QUOTE ]Yup it is scarey - as polaris said... would the harness/belt clips even withstand his weight anyway?!
shocked.gif
I think perhaps the guard is the way forward but as you sy it needs to be welded in place!

Wishful

Visit site
You'd hope someone would do something that fitted into the isofix system (baby seats) or adapted the human seatbelt system which should be strong enough for any dog.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You'd hope someone would do something that fitted into the isofix system (baby seats) or adapted the human seatbelt system which should be strong enough for any dog.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes - I'd be interested to hear if there was one!!